Penn: "I've raped everyone I want to."

Discussion in 'Other Shows' started by Peau de Soie, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    That's the title of his latest podcast episode.

It's his pithy response to people asking the common question, "without god/religion, what would prevent you from killing or raping anyone you wanted?"

Seems like a great answer, no? Posing the question implies that the questioner is a mere intellectual epiphany or spiritual crisis away from going on a killing spree.

Your thoughts.

2. BudBudha

BudBudha Male Underwear Model

Reputations:
    I see his logic, but most non fans or those people skimming the news will not understand the context if this gets blown out of proportion.

He's a smart guy so by that title I would think he would get some attention. Is anybody making a fuss yet :dontknow:

3. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Nah, podcasts are still a backwater.

4. BudBudha

Reputations:
    That's too bad because there's good stuff out there. What other podcasts do you listen to?

5. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Rick and Artie mostly, along with occasional Greg Proops, Stephen Tobolowsky (Ned Ryerson), Marc Maron WTF, Larry Miller, TWiT, TWiG, FLOSS Weekly, On The Media, This American Life, Selected Shorts, John Hodgman, Car Talk, and an occasional rare Kevin Pollak, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, or Whadya Know. I've kind of turned off to Carolla; the show's boring and he's wasted at least two good guests (Artie and Billy West). I might start listening to Nerdist (I just played their two Billy West interviews) and I just realized I'm not downloading Fresh Air yet...

I seem to go in spurts. I haven't listened to some of these in a long while, and I'm way behind on the tech shows.

What's on your feed list?

6. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i liked his twitter comments last night. he said something like "I've lived in Vegas for 10 years now and I love it". Anyone who's seen his home knows he doesn't "live in Vegas". He built a compound at the edge of the desert, surrounded by high chain link fences and razor wire. on the outside it looks like a small federal prison with a professional swimming pool in the back. Penn lives in the desert and Vegas is the neighbor he barely recognizes.

7. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Oh, so naming it "The Slammer" wasn't exactly a stretch then. He does always speak highly of Vegas on the show. Of course allowing him a stable millionaire lifestyle might have something to do with that.

8. newcastlefan

Reputations:

really! the only thing its missing is a guard tower

9. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    btw, i loved his atheist book. he says he is anti-religion but when he gets into it he is really anti-organized churches. i can appreciate that.

10. BudBudha

Reputations:
    I'm so behind on tech, I just figured out podcasts so just Carolla and N&A.

11. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

His sort of evangelical atheism is a little odd; I don't understand why it would occupy so much of his time, to the point of indirectly setting up a podcast about it. The whole point of dismissing religion is that it should leave more time for OTHER pursuits. (The podcast really ISN'T about atheism though; it's barely registered in any of the episodes to date. It's just a good radio show.) I haven't read his books. (He's got a new one coming.)

12. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
    it would be nice if Carolla shut up once in awhile to let the person he is interviewing be interviewed, wouldn't it?

13. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Damn straight. I've got this episode with Brad Sherwood (one of the Whose Line guys) sitting on my phone and I'm still deciding whether to even bother. :(

14. Racerx969

Racerx969 Member

Reputations:
    I enjoyed the book as well and agree with you assessment. I went to his show at the Rio and met him afterwards. I was a bit surprised how he just hangs outside with everyone, shaking hands, taking pictures. He really seemed to enjoy meeting everyone.

15. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    He and Teller have been doing that after EVERY show of theirs, forever (well before Vegas). Not sure what percentage is schtick and what percentage is genuine people enjoying their fans, but I'm guessing about 10:90.

16. Racerx969

Racerx969 Member

Reputations:
    You are probably right. I was probably a little starstruck as well. I was a huge fan of their show Bullshit! and being able to chat with them was pretty cool. I have met so many musicians who were so fucking full of themselves it was a welcome surprise.

And you and Cadet are right about Carolla. I can't see myself listening to another one of his podcasts after listening to what he did with Billy West.

17. Peau de Soie

Reputations:

Arrrgh! He did it AGAIN with Sherwood! Didn't have him on until an hour in, gave him about a minute of airtime, and continued barreling on with their format and bits. Freaking "Alison" kept stepping over Brad. Even in the "improv" game of coming up with movie plots, Sherwood hardly spoke. Adam just makes everything a chance for him to pontificate. (This doesn't even touch on the first hour, wherein Adam spends more time whining how horrible it is to be rich and have people want to borrow from you, and how mad he is at his father because Adam's too cheap NOT to cancel his own dad's crummy little podcast.)

People (including me) badmouth the current Stern, but he's still WAY better with guests than Carolla.

18. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Reputations:
    i listened to that. i like penns sunday school. man was made to podcast. dude loves to talk:c

19. jms397

jms397 Member

Reputations:
    I listen to Penn's podcast every week. Loved his rant about marijuana laws. Plus he's sort of my neighbor.:)

[video=youtube;wWWOJGYZYpk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWWOJGYZYpk[/video]