News People magazine review of Ghostbusters

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by FSFN, Jul 12, 2016.

1. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ghostbusters Review: The Ladies Kick Butt and Deliver Laughs in an Imperfect Reboot
    [​IMG]
    Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig and Leslie JonesPHOTON CHARGING/TWITTER
    BY MICHAEL MILLER

Long before their movie's release, the Ghostbustersfaced off against a villain much scarier than any evil spirit or possessed marshmallow mascot. The film's all-female cast, combined with fans' paranoia about spoil yet another beloved franchise with a sequel, followed by the release of a lame first trailer – the most disliked in YouTube history – culminated in an internet boo-fest of near-supernatural proportions.

But Paul Feig and his undeniably hilarious cast of leading ladies deserve the last laugh. Whatever faults the film has – and there are plenty – all four women proved they can kick as much ass and generate as many laughs as any guy in the action/comedy world.

Saturday Night Live alums Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones are scene stealers as a mad scientist and New York City's friendliest subway employee, respectively. Meanwhile, Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiigcontinue to show the magnetic chemistry that put the heart in their 2001 comedy Bridesmaids. Overall, the movie presents a strong message of female friendship without the typical clichés and love triangles. And while there are no boyfriends to get in the way, Chris Hemsworth delivers plenty of testosterone-fueled sex appeal as the ladies' himbo secretary-turned-demonic vessel.
    WATCH: Can You Guess the Last 'Ghostbuster' Movie Ernie Hudson Watched?

Besides the obvious gender reversal, the new Ghostbusters is very much like Harold Ramis, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd's 1984 Ghostbusters. The opening scene in particular, in which Silicon Valley'sZach Woods is chased by an angry, Victorian-era ghost, feels eerily similar to the original's iconic library scene. But Feig's incarnation takes the franchise in an unapologetically lighter, goofier direction. For instance, those unsettling devil dogs from the original, hand designed by the legendary visual effects artist John Bruno, have been replaced by cartoonish, CGI parade floats and an army of subway ghost rats.

That wacky vibe makes for a film that never takes itself too seriously and helps cover up for other disappointments (like a poorly developed villain). The result is a movie seemingly self-aware that its heroes' biggest obstacle is entertaining the audience, not defeating the nominal bad guy. One scene, in which the Ghostbusters crack jokes about YouTube comment trolls, takes the haters head-on.

But why bother hating? It's easier to just climb aboard the Ecto-1 and have a good time.

2. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    :jj:

Apparently People Magazine lacks the "courage" displayed by the NYT which was bravely willing to admit yesterday that this is the greatest movie ever produced in the history of mankind. ;)

[​IMG]

"But Feig's incarnation takes the franchise in an unapologetically lighter, goofier direction. For instance, those unsettling devil dogs from the original, hand designed by the legendary visual effects artist John Bruno, have been replaced..."

Oh my God, yes. This reviewer nailed absolutely nailed it. Who can forget how dark, "unsettling" and menacing those "devil dogs" from the original movie were? Not since watching The Exorcist as a little kid have I ever been more frightened and disturbed by on screen imagery. Those things were completely fucking terrifying. That they could have been included in a movie that wasn't rated at least NC-17 is one of the greatest mysteries in history of movie making. What was Ramis thinking? Was he part of some satanic cult? Thank God Feig decided to go with something "goofier" instead. We definitely don't need a repeat of 1984 when millions of kids and young adults across the country were forced to seek PTSD counseling after viewing these horrific creatures in the original film. Once again, the SJWs are protecting us in ways that we didn't even know we needed protecting. Feig is such a hero.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits

Reputations:
    "The movie sucks and has faults but man these ladies can kick some cgi ass!!" :jj:

4. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Remember when movie critics based their ratings of a movie on the plot/storyline, acting and not on the message the movie pushes? I used to like Ebert but in his later years all he would talk about is the message of the movie.

5. HowieHasBeen

HowieHasBeen VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

6. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I feel like I always thought those women were fairly funny in general. I laughed pretty hard at Bridesmaids. :dontknow:

7. Lster

Lster Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Bridesmaids was 2001? Shit I feel old.

Shame on that horrible editor.

8. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    This movie is going to suck but it still cracks me up too see everyone all worked up about it as if its existence and anyone who dares to say something positive about it is attacking their children.

9. DDragon

DDragon VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Why is People Magazine still a thing ?

x76 and Nick Manning like this.
  10. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    a magazine I have only ever glanced at said some nice things about a movie I might watch when it comes on tv
    I can't muster up the rage here

11. lastlaugh

lastlaugh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    His mistress probably told him to write that before granting him release.

12. Cheri

Cheri Skunk VIP

Reputations:
    Those devil dog things scared the shit out of me when I was little.

giphy-9.gif

13. garypagetwo

garypagetwo The Gun Gold

Reputations:
    Who gives a fuck

TheLACritic, JameGumb and x76 like this.
  14. bootyclause

bootyclause Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the article writer exposes himself as having an axe to grind by mentioning the gender issues, the early backlash and the "Youtube haters". A true objective review would not go into any of those things. Clearly this guy "chose sides" and wanted to like this movie before he saw it.

It's funny how stupid shit like this gets politicized - now women will pobably see it as a political statement and pretend to like it no matter how much it sucks. Like rednecks going to see that dopey Seth Rogan Korea movie or that Sniper movie that Fox News was obsessed with.

15. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    I'm going to see it tomorrow night for a review. I'm thinking this is the politically correct mafia putting these up.

16. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Really? Never thought any of them had an ounce of humor.

17. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    :lol:

2011. I had to look that up. No way 15 years went by THAT fast. Wtg, fact checker.

18. BooeyBanana

BooeyBanana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hope this film tanks badly...It kinda sucks to see a classic trashed....

19. pope29

pope29 Saloon's Oldest Mult

Reputations:
    You always tell it like it is brother!!

garypagetwo likes this.
  20. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    The hate for a movie no one has seen is truly bizarre, it's like no one is allowed to like it on principle

FishySausage and blckknight60 like this.