Pet Insurance---A rip off, or a great idea?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Mlaw, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    The new pup came with a month of free pet insurance (accident/illness coverage). I didn't have it with Heathcliff, and despite his two bouts with cancer I'm not sure if it would have been a good value.

Thoughts, advice

[​IMG]

2. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I've never looked into it. No dog I've owned has ever had any kind of major problem so I'm sure it would be a loss for me so far.

Now, if it covered physicals and shots, that'd be another thing.

3. Mlaw

Reputations:
    I know consumer reports did an article on it, i have to look it up

4. Slippy

Slippy Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    It would have helped me with my cat, when he had his face chewed off. As has been mentioned............might be useful for an aging dog.

I've considered it myself. It's easier to pay $20/month, than randomly come up with hundreds or thousands on the spot, when your animal gets sick.

Please let me know what you find out - 'cause I think my dog will eventually have some issues, and my cat is 8 now, and has taken me to task financially more times than I care to count.

:hat:

5. Boss Ono

Boss Ono New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Has it happened? Somebody finally came up with a subject that EC isn't an expert on. You know she has never does a thing for that dog but give it rancid bacon to make it fart or walk it to kill a neighbors grass.

6. Slippy

Slippy Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    relax.............I'm sure she just hasn't seen the thread yet

:coffee:

7. Mlaw

Reputations:
    According to Consumer Reports for dogs it generally doesn't pay, but for cats who seem to have more issues it can

8. Boss Ono

Boss Ono New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I'm sure BCM texted her the instant I hit reply. :coffee:

9. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    We bought PetPlan when our dog was a puppy and playing way too rough at the dog park. She liked being chased and was being tackled at full speed by bigger dogs. I was worried about potential joint/ligament injuries. When we first signed up five years ago, the plan was only $19/month. Today, it has risen to $30. Frankly, I wish I had just opened up a savings account for her and put $25/month into it. Our insurance will cover up to $12 thousand/year, but that doesn't include regular visits/vaccinations. If she ends up having hip problems or gets cancer, we might get our money back and then some. If "might" is good enough for you, then get it. I just think opening a savings account and religiously putting the money there is a better deal since your dog is a puppy.

10. Mlaw

Reputations:
    that's what Consumer Reports recommends. They also said many plans exclude hip dysplasia and other chronic stuff.

11. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Mine covers just about everything. They even cover some sort of cancer vaccine without having to pay a deductible. You also have varying deductibles. If you have a high deductible, even things like stitches won't be covered. Our dog cut herself on a broken fence at the dog park. She ran through the hole and it put a pretty big gash in her. The cost of getting her stitched up was about what our deductible was. So unless you need expensive treatments or surgery, you're unlikely to use it. Which company did Consumer Reports rank as best?

12. Bro

Bro Oligarchical Corporatocracy VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Aren't pets disposable? I mean if they have to have major medical work, wouldn't be easier just to put it down and get a brand new one? :dontknow:

13. Mlaw

Reputations:

They didn't really rank them, they determined the net savings over the course of 10 years with a typical dog, the best was an ASPCA policy and Trupanion.