Pets Outnumber Children in the US 4:1

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Kamie, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    That's me. I'm one of them.....We never wanted kids but have 6 cats, 3 dogs and 2 horses. I swear my house is spotless.....

Animal Planet: Pets Outnumber Children 4 to 1 in America
    Americans spend over $4.8 billion annually on their pets.
    1:00 PM, FEB 1, 2013 • BY DANIEL HALPER
    In a new book on demographics set to be published next week, Jonathan V. Last writes that pets now outnumber children 4 to 1 in America. The book is titled What to Expect When No One’s Expecting. “The pet market has been steadily increasing in America since the 1980s, with people not only acquiring more furry little dependents, but spending more on them, too,†writes Last, a colleague of mine at THE WEEKLY STANDARD.

“In 1994 Americans spent $1.7 billion on pets; by 2008 that number had risen to $4.3 billion. By 2010, even in the face of a massive recession, it had climbed over $4.8 billion. The evidence suggests that pets are increasingly treated like actual family members: In 1998, the average dog-owning American household spent $383 on medical care for their dogs; by 2006, that figure had risen to $672.â€

Dog grooming costs jumped, too, “from $59 to $127,†all of which is part of what Last calls “pet mania.â€
    “Auto insurance companies now offer policies for pets traveling in cars,†Last explains. “Wealthy dog owners have successfully lobbied for changes in estate law allowing pets to legally receive inheritances and trust funds. A bill put forward in Congress recently called for a $3,500 tax break for pet-care expenses—which is more than families get for a child. The HAPPY Act (Humanity and Pets Partnered through the Years) happily failed to reach a vote on the floor of the House.â€. This has, naturally, coincided with an explosive growth of pet owners. “In surveys from 1947 to 1985, fewer than half of American reported that they owned a pet,†writes Last. “Today American pets now outnumber American children by more than four to one.â€. Last contends, “At the micro level, the pet boom is … unsettling.â€

“[E]ducated, middle-class people have all but stopped having babies,†he writes. “Pets have become fuzzy, low-maintenance replacements for children.â€

Last’s book will published next week on February 5:

2. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Beth is only contributing to this with her barren womb.

3. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    I knew you could tie it to THSS for me!! :hat:

4. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    well pets are better than people. you just have to talk to some to realize that, and quite often once the kids grow up its obvious their parents should have used contraceptives.

5. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
  6. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can't tell you how many times i visit petsmart.

7. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    "Low maintenance"? is he crazy? my birds eat better than the entire Bronx and Harlem populations. their doctor is on a first-name basis with them. they live in one of the best neighborhoods in Manhattan, and they drink Poland Springs water.

"Low maintenance"? asshole.

8. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Pets are way better than people. It's sad to say that, but it's true.
    I used to be there constantly, now I get my food online at Petco. It is cheaper than the in-store price, and the shipping is free. You can't beat that!!

9. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...and the blacks and Mexicans are starting to outnumber the humans.:nooo:

10. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i've been buying from 1800petsolutions. their prices seem the same (or less) than amazon and petco and they understand prompt shipping. they are constantly sending me 10%-25% discount codes (like daily) so I'm pretty satisfied with them.

11. newcastlefan

Reputations:

well their pets tend to be flies and cockroaches so they will be happy in NYC

12. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I hate people but I anthropomorphize my pets so I must also hate my pets

13. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Even I don't drink Poland Springs water! I drink it out of the tap. Can I be one of your birds? I'll have to try 1800 Pet Solutions. I have to order food soon.

14. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Even the cleanest pet owners have a smell in their house. It's like a smoker who doesn't think he smells of cigaretts.

15. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Sounds familiar....zero kids, 2 horses, 4 dogs and 2 barn cats. Love it!

16. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    No - I am telling you, I'm a psycho about it. People are shocked when they come in my house and see later on that I have pets. I keep it spotless and have lots of Bath & Body Works Wallflowers (air fresheners). My dogs stink, though. They need a bath.

17. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    I wish I had my own farm. My husband is so allergic to hay and straw it would not be possible. I board my OTT TB and retired Appy.

18. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wish I could get a tax deduction for my dog, I'm pretty sure I spend more on him than some people spend on their kids. Had to bring him to the Doggie ER around midnight a couple of weeks ago for a digestive problem - cost me $538 for that visit, plus $58 the following day and another $18 after that for medication. I also missed 2 days of work which I didn't get paid for. Ouch (but well worth it since he's feeling better now).

19. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Oh boy, I feel for you. That happened to me on Thanksgiving morning, and the diagnosis was basically "your dog is a pussy". He must have pulled a muscle or something and they gave him Tramadol (pain med), which I already had at home!! Glad your guy is better, but they can be expensive. They're good friends, though.:)

20. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:

Our retired Appy is a retired mounted unit horse and our other is a retired therapeutic riding pony. I love 'em and help care for them but they are Mrs. Lemmy's deal.......just other pets to me. We boarded for someone else briefly.....I'd rather kill myself than do that again. She was a menace. We are a home and not really a business so that was part of the problem.