News Philadelphia public schools close starting tomorrow till next Tuesday

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Sep 22, 2015.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is unbelievable. Schools are closed on Wed for Yom Kippur and then the other days for the Pope visit. I don't think they are doing this in New York City. In Philadelphia they have created a security zone from the Art Museum where Rocky ran up the steps to City Hall. The Secret Service has created a security perimeter where cars can't enter once they leave. The Pope doesn't get to the city until Saturday and departs Sunday at 8pm nevertheless they closing all the schools even ones which are 15 miles outside of center city. The logic for closing on Thursday is the it's the day after Yom Kippur and because the schools were going to be closed on Friday that most students wouldn't show up anyway. Monday's logic is all the people leaving the city after the Pope's visit is going to tie up mass transit. I know NYC is going to be a mess on Thursday and Friday with street closings but in Philadelphia they are disrupting peoples lives on an epic scale.

Already closed Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for Yom Kippur and the upcoming pope's visit, the Philadelphia School District says it will keep schools shuttered on Monday as well.

Superintendent William R. Hite Jr., in an email to staff on Monday, said that "based on additional information we received today from the city and SEPTA," both schools and administrative offices will be closed" because services would be insufficient to open schools. Hence, the six-day weekend for staff and students - and child-care headache for many parents.

The day will be made up on Monday, March 21 - the first day of spring break.

"Thank you for your continued flexibility as the city prepares for this historic event," Hite said in the email.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/educat..._get_a_6-day_weekend.html#rm6E9ZsjisVcAy4Q.99

DiamondGoddess and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  2. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Didn't the Jews just have 2 days off?

3. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes.

4. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    well, it takes a few days for the pope to teach kids all about global warming :what:

5. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There is a reason our kids here in America are the most retarded kids in the world not living in a 3rd world country.

And have a nice summer break in school in Philly after this shit show AND snow days added on at the end. You should be all ready to go on vacation by July 7th.

Lester and queerface like this.
  6. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Its closed Wed. for Yom Kipper , Thur & Friday are for the Pope. That makes complete sense but is the Pope still around Monday?

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  7. Tickle Shits

Tickle Shits Special Needs Typist. Gold

Reputations:
    I am so pissed that they think it's okay to shut down a city for a "celebrity" Why does his protection trump my prosperity? People need to work and kids need to be in school. The loss of productivity is staggering.. Are they picking up the tab for lost hours and daycare...

AmericasJudge and basketcase like this.
  8. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    And the redistribution of wealth.

babybear, 1Vegasgirl and Mr Fantastic like this.
  9. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    Kids learn more in Philly when the schools are closed.

Dump Button, stash, Slow and 4 others like this.
  10. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  11. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Union says we must close. In Jersey i think 64% of every dollar goes to the schools.

MadWoman777 and wife is a whore like this.
  12. Krinkle

Krinkle What?

Reputations:
    Traffic is a nightmare already. The travel advice is to park in Camden and then walk across the bridge. The problem here, is they are closing the two main roads that lead into Camden. :facepalm:

I'm staying home. Starting tomorrow I'm on vacation until next Tuesday.

13. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:

NYC can deal w/ the traffic, plus, if they close schools in lower Manhattan, they probably have to close em in the rest of the boroughs, where Pope traffic aint gonna mean shit.

Here in NJ, there are signs on 195 saying to expect pope delays, and we are an hour from Philly. I wonder if they are going to stop traffic on the NJ Turnpike for his motorcade. Fucking dumb. He should just chopper from NYC to Philly, and he'll be there in 40min.

FishySausage likes this.
  14. wife is a whore

Reputations:
    Too bad the traffic is going to be so bad. There will probably be a lot of 18-25 y/o hoodrats looking to earn while high school is closed.

15. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    As a suburban Philadelphian, I can attest to the poor condition of traffic in this area. There is never a good time to drive into Philadelphia. It's a shit fest of traffic and crap roads that are antiquated.
    I can think of no worse place to host this type of event.
    On its best day, Philadelphia is a hellscape...

16. kicksave7

kicksave7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I live in D.C. area and Pope's visit is closing down D.C. tomorrow and Thursday. Transportation here is bad enough let alone with the Pope visiting. Most people will work from their homes instead of commuting into D.C...don't know if the schools in D.C. are closed but pretty sure that the parochial schools will be closed. Jewish holidays are not observed in Virginia so if your kids don't attend school on the high holidays you either call them in sick or send in a written excused absence note. Not sure if this is the same thing that's done in D.C. schools or Maryland schools. The Pope doesn't like a lot of security so it's up to us to beef up the security for him. D.C. is going to be basically in lock down mode...no one I know is going into D.C. tomorrow or Thursday.

17. wife is a whore

Reputations:
    Yeah. It is like they built all the highways in 1935 and just said "deal with it."

queerface likes this.
  18. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This.... On 202 in west chester they've got street signs warning that the papal is coming expect delays. It's 30 fuckin mi outside the city! And what the fucks a papal?

19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Trump will put an end to all this. They will instead close schools on his birthday, and whenever he's in town to film a show.

FishySausage likes this.
  20. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    let the blacklivesshooting in the city of brotherly love begin...no school = more violence