PIC: Sirius poll of 800 subscribers finds only 12% listen to Stern

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by GaryPuppet, Jan 28, 2014.

1. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And 30% of those tune in less than twice a week. 20 million listeners my ass.

[​IMG]

2. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    as a maniac listener since 1991 which made me like 8 i think..to stop listening after all these years? that tells you something! NO ONE IS LISTENING!!!!!!

3. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I think Pelican is trimming staff in preparation for the next K so he can take another pay-cut. I also figure he's going to pull a Limbaugh and do his show from his Florida mansion.

4. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think of it the same. I gave up my sirius subscription in December. I finally had enough...... even if I was on a discounted sirius rate. And I gave the reason for leaving as a disappointment in the Howard Stern show. So if customer service has a box to check that is Howard Stern specific (instead of a generic disappointed with content box), they definitely checked that box off for me. And that gives me a tiny bit of satisfaction that at least sirius has my small piece of data to add to the mix when they offer up a new contract.

Howard has a tiny die-hard audience left. Most people subscribe because sirusxm came installed in their cars and they use it mostly for music.

5. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't get the numbers given out in this article...

They say he could drop 13% to $70MM a year in 2015. But they say 5% of all subs would consider leaving SXM if he wasn't there. Ok, so if there are 25MM subs, and 5% would consider leaving, let's say half of those that would consider leaving actually do leave... that is 2.5% of 25MM which is 625,000 subs. Let's say they are averaging $10/mo for each sub. That is $75MM in revenue for those subs. Let's say half of the revenue is profit, so that's $37.5MM in profit they earn from those 625k subs.

So why in the hell would they pay Howard $70MM a year to earn $37.5MM from the subs he directly accounts for? And the picture is even worse than that... because what else could they spend that $70MM on that they otherwise pay Howard? Surely with $70MM to spend, they could bring in well over 625k subs.

And on top of that... let's say Howard doesn't renew. Where else is he going to go? Back to terrestrial? Where his maximum earning potential might be - what - a few million a year? Of course not. So why in the hell is Sirius offering him these large contracts? It's not like he has other options, really.

6. Cum Burrito

Cum Burrito Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i've been getting the 6 month for $25 deal for years now, finally axed it last summer. it's not even worth $4/month to me

7. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    I have serious doubts the 12% is accurate. If I had to bet, I'd take the under...:grad:

8. itsawig

itsawig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thats why his reported salary of $80 million is a joke.

9. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    When I moved around Long Island I always brought a boom box when looking at places to make sure I could get Howard. :facepalm:

And now he makes me wanna hurl.

10. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am sure with so much riding on these contracts, Sirius before they signed HOward the second time did some major number crunching- they must new right down to the mil what Howard was worth, which is probably why he signed and then sued.

11. itsawig

itsawig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sirius wont ask him to take a paycut, they will demand it. They know how many people listen and that wiggy has no other options. The point of that article in deadline and the one in varierty was to let everyone else know. It was their way of saying "happy birthday". They put it out a week before the big birthday show to scare off any undecided "A" list celebrities

12. Crucial Head

Crucial Head New Member

Reputations:
    My first job out of school had to be in a city where Stern was on the air. I wouldn't even consider other places. I can't believe I was that stupid. :facepalm:

13. guruhugz

guruhugz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would love to know how many listeners there are for the live show. I bet it is only a few thousand.

14. EddyG

EddyG MORON Banned User

Reputations:
    So the begging and pleading for tickets to his party....not entertaining? I agree

15. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    What's he saying Robin?

16. BringBackJackie

BringBackJackie Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Don't forget that Mel was friendly with Stern. Malone wants nothing to do with Stern. Stern is fucked

17. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    If 5% of "all subs" would cancel, that's roughly about $225M to $250M of revenue. As the costs other than the paycheck to him are negligible, it sounds like it's profitable to continue to employ him if that 5% would cancel. Big "if", though.

Recurring membership fees generate enormous revenue if you can grab the audience.

His "price" would be something in-between his worth to them and his ability to earn elsewhere. Forget terrestrial, no way that could be done, and the audience has moved on. A $5/mo podcast with his 900,000 "regular" listeners (of which a large percentage would drop off) would generate $54M in revenue, tops. More like a net payday of maybe half that after expenses. The hassle of downloading podcasts would cause casual listeners to drop off, so it could be a lot lower.

He makes $70M or so now there. He would be assured of maybe $20M anywhere else. They'll meet in the middle, closer to the higher number, with Howard taking yet another face-saving move by moving to an afternoon drivetime show live. I say Howard works 3 solid days a week, 3 hours in the afternoon, for $50M/year.

18. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Interesting catch. There could be maybe 10% of those "listener" units sitting in unsold cars.

19. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lisa G will be kept around. She's basically a pr agent whose sole purpose is to help generate media attention for whatever Stern or Beth is promoting. She also is likely paid less than a typical pr agent so Stern is actually saving money by keeping her around

20. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    [​IMG]