Pirate ‘Fast & Furious’ get 3 Years in Prison, Commit fraud that destroys US economy.. get a raise

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Aug 25, 2014.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Man Who Pirated ‘Fast & Furious’ Movie Gets Almost 3 Years in Prison

The pirated copy of the film was downloaded 779,000 times, costing one of Hollywood’s biggest filmmakers more than $4 million.

Philip Danks, 25, from Walsall, West Midlands, was the first person in the world to record and distribute the movie illegally after filming it on its release day on May 17 last year.

A court heard that a special “webwatch” team — set up by L.A.-based Universal Pictures because the film was so valuable — spotted his copy spreading across the Internet.

He was caught when fraud investigators noticed that his online tag “Thecod3r” attached on the video was identical to his profile on dating website Plenty of Fish.

He was arrested at his home on May 23.

Two days later, he bragged on Facebook: “Seven billion people and I was the first. F*** you Universal Pictures.”

On Thursday, he pleaded guilty to three charges of distributing pirate copies of films and was jailed for 33 months.

fucking idiot!! committing a high profile crime and then admitting to it in public.. who does he think he is a Banker???

Jamie Dimon...

Even though Dimon has publicly acknowledged, in effect, that his companies took part in one of the biggest frauds in American history.

You missed that confession, you say? Don't feel bad. So did almost everyone else. It is contained within the dry "statement of facts" that accompanies JPMorgan's historic $13 billion settlement this week. The key sentence reads: "Employees of JPMorgan, Bear Stearns, and WaMu [Washington Mutual, which along with Bear was purchased by Dimon] received information that, in certain instances, loans that did not comply with underwriting guidelines were included in the RMBS [residential mortgage-backed securities] sold and marketed to investors; however, JPMorgan, Bear Stearns, and WaMu did not disclose this to securitization investors."

Translated into plainer language, Dimon appears to be conceding that during his tenure as CEO, JPMorgan executives and salesmen massively defrauded investors in the subprime craze by lying about the true quality of the housing assets they were selling as securities, and also that they financed loans they knew borrowers couldn't afford to repay.

Let's step back and question whether, just perhaps, Jamie Dimon ought to feel just a little personal pain over this. As conducted broadly by Wall Street, these practices nearly destroyed the U.S. economy, and we are still feeling the devastating effects today. For this "unlawful" conduct, as the Justice Department statement toughly describes it (but which JPMorgan doesn't admit to), the bank will pay out $4 billion of the $13 billion "in the form of relief to aid consumers."

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/man-who-pirated-fast-furious-movie-gets-almost-3-95732715549.html

http://www.nationaljournal.com/economy/why-is-jamie-dimon-still-running-jpmorgan-20131120

Stew Nod likes this.
  2. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    And the beat goes on...

3. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Sounds like Philip Danks should have donated more to some campaigns.

PI Nate and BethsZygote like this.
  4. NiggalissCage

NiggalissCage Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Interesting that everyone assumes because the movie was downloaded it costs the studio money. I bet no more than 10% of people who downloaded it would have bothered to go to see it.

5. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    wait shouldn't your name be ReggielissCage at this point?

ARM likes this.
  6. TheLACritic

TheLACritic Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    In the book "The Devils Are All Here" it talks about how the banking industry basically manipulated politicians to get their way and make money. Not only that, quasi government agencies like Fannie Mae were also reckless and labeled anyone who tried to stop them as being against trying to put more people in homes.

Former members of the government like Jamie Gorelick who worked in the Clinton Administration landed at Fannie Mae due to her close ties to the government and also made millions while destroying Fannie Mae and the economy.

The reason none of these guys and women were punished is because the government was just as complicit. They were bought off with the easy money.

The biggest crook was Angelo Mozilo.

Enron people were punished but none of these crooks is criminal.

Ta Ta Toothy, ARM and Samurai like this.
  7. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

A-fukin-men

8. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Beat me to that! Someone who has the misguided passion to go out and see that wigger drek in the theatre or actually buy the bluray is not remotely the same animal that "pirates" that slop on a whimsy. I might even aim lower than 10%. If that tripe were playing in my backyard I'd close the blinds.

I would be embarrassed enough just hearing in a court of law a judge on a court microphone "Sir, are you accused of pirating FAST & THE FURIOUS 7 starring Vin Diesel and The Rock!" in front of room full of people.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  9. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    What happened to people who pirated that crappy kids and alien movie?

10. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    People who pirate movies aren't incredibly wealthy, politically connected power brokers. Jamie Dimon is.

11. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All this could have been avoided had he just opened a Praying Mantis rescue.

12. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Whew! I don't know about the rest you guys, but I feel a whole lot safer now that this Dick Dastardly is behind bars.

ARM likes this.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Thanks Obama!

14. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hollywood should be paying you 2 down load there shit products. :nyjaway:

ARM likes this.
  15. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And to think he could have just waited a few months and spent a few bucks on a rental. Seems cheaper than 3 years in prison to me. And if you are going to go out like that, at least do it with a better movie.

ARM likes this.