Pizza

Discussion in 'Chez Dawgs' started by Tranquil, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I didn't want to name any specific type of pizza in the thread title, keeping it generic, I'll update this thread with more.

Pizza Dough

Real simple just add 1 cup warm water, 1 tablespoon of honey or sugar and 1 packet of yeast. let it sit for 10 minutes. Then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, give it a quick mix around then add 3 cups of flour and kneed it for a few minutes. Roll the dough into a ball, place in a lightly covered bowl (I use a plate, or paper towel to cover) Let sit for an hour. That's it. Or just use youtube and find a good recipe.

White Pizza Sauce

Not sure if that's the real name or not, I just call it that. To make it add in a bowl 1/3 cup of Ricotta, 2 tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream, 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, then the rest is all to taste, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Red Pepper Flakes, Cayenne Pepper, and Oregano. This sauce is very flexible so if you don't have all the seasonings not a big deal.

Pepperoni and Asparagus

I don't get why Asparagus isn't a more popular topping for pizza, it's one of my favorites.

Out of the oven

[​IMG]

Yum! Sliced and ready to eat. This was really good.

[​IMG]

Nibbler and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  2. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
    get rid of that green shit and it looks tasty.

Scott likes this.
  3. Tranquil

Reputations:
    haha, yea I guess that's why Asparagus isn't a popular item on pizza. Thanks for the quasi compliment.

I invented that likes this.
  4. Tranquil

Reputations:
    Pepperoni and Jalapeno

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bobp likes this.
  5. Tranquil

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Sucks my pizza stone split apart in the oven, I was baking a pizza then I opened up my stove and there it is split in two. I loved this thing, really made pizza so much better, now I'm not sure if I should get one if they can't handle heat very well.

I've only had this thing for a couple of months bought it at bed bath and beyond, I thought they sold good quality stuff there...

6. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    Smart move starting this thread in here. I've seen threads about pizza end in death threats in the Bar. They are very passionate about their pizza there.

7. Asshat

Asshat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm lucky I live nearby that Mario Batali Eataly market where they sell dough. Making pizza is kind of a pain in the ass. That said I should make some again, it's been a while. I use a big rectangular cast iron griddle pan. It's cool to make pies at home with a nice ingredients and what not, but you can't beat the high heat of a commercial type pizza oven. Mine usually come out okay, but the crust is always unexciting.

8. Tranquil

Reputations:
    For me using a pizza stone get's it almost to that level of restaurant quality, you should try one, they seriously make home made pizza actually taste like a good quality pizza and your crust will have that nice crunch at the bottom. It's good times.

9. Asshat

Asshat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What temperature?

10. Tranquil

Reputations:
    Preheat the stone in a 500 degree oven for 30 minutes, bake the pizza for 10 minutes, make sure the stone is on bottom rack.

Nibbler likes this.
  11. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Fuck the stone... Get the steel!

12. Tranquil

Reputations:
    Yea I plan to get steel. Made a pizza last night, just not the same without a pizza stone.

13. Tranquil

Reputations:
    I didn't go with steel just yet, I wanted to try out a piece of unglazed 18" square travertine tile from home depot for 3$ a piece, however they couldn't find a 'single' piece tile in their computer so they ended up giving it to me for free, that was kinda cool. So I'll give this a try, if it fails I'll just go with steel. I got the idea from this video if anyone is interested:

14. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    I had a Pampered Chef's round stone for a million years and I dropped it last year.
    Loved that thing. I have a one of their stone large bar pan, which I keep on the bottom rack of my oven all the time. I could make oblong pizzas on it but it would be pretty heavy to make pizza with. I use it for meat and vegetables all the time, nothing beats it because it browns the meat and vegetables really well.

I haven't replaced my stone yet mostly because I've stopped making pizzas (due to reflux)
    I got something like this because I thought it was cheaper and less likely to break
    [​IMG]
    It's okay. Haven't used it a lot.
    But I might buy a stone again, they aren't that expensive.

15. Tranquil

Reputations:
    Not sure what you mean by to heavy to cook pizzas, a pizza stone should be left in the oven for a while to preheat, then using a pizza peel you pick up the pizza.

16. RonHeinzkaboot

Reputations:
    The stone bar pan is big & heavy (low oven) also couldn't make round pizzas on it
    I leave that stone in the oven on the bottom rack all time so I don't have to worry about it cracking
    And it helps the oven temp

17. RonHeinzkaboot

Reputations:
    I need to get another round stone

18. Tranquil

Reputations:
    Do you keep it in the oven while cooking other foods? I always took my stone out, not sure why, but if you don't have to, the next one I get I'll just leave it in there.