Please pass the Sodiums

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Gitfiddle, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...alt-is-as-bad-for-you-as-the-government-says/

More scientists doubt salt is as bad for you as the government says

For years, the federal government has advised Americans that they are eating too much salt, and that this excess contributes yearly to the deaths of tens of thousands of people.

But unknown to many shoppers urged to buy foods that are “low-sodium” and “low-salt,” this longstanding warning has come under assault by scientists who say that typical American salt consumption is without risk.

Moreover, according to studies published in recent years by pillars of the medical community, the low levels of salt recommended by the government might actually be dangerous.

“There is no longer any valid basis for the current salt guidelines,” said Andrew Mente, a professor at McMaster University and one of the researchers of a major study published last year by the New England Journal of Medicine. “So why are we still scaring people about salt?”

DarkFriday and Summer like this.
  2. ice cream

ice cream Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    weight retention :dontknow:

3. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    I think the guidelines we've been taught for years, are probably wrong although not drasticly wrong: I doubt anyone benefits by 10,000mg of salt per day, but I bet 2-3000 is not the instant death sentence we've been taught.

DarkFriday likes this.
  4. Just Peachy

Just Peachy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    @Bro

Sorry. It had to be done.

5. Gitfiddle

Reputations:
    I think I can safely speak for everyone here when I say Fuck You, @Bro

6. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Teeney likes this.
  7. HelloCleveland!

HelloCleveland! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm ready.

[​IMG]

8. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

RF76 likes this.
  9. Teeney

Teeney My friends call me Lissette Gold

Reputations:
    Did anyone say @Bro yet?

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  10. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Thinking big VIP

Reputations:
    egg man

11. Bro

Bro Oligarchical Corporatocracy VIP Gold

Reputations:
    My position on salt stands like this:

I love salt. I season with salt. Salt is a flavor enhancer.

My issue is with all the sodium in processed foods. We all know that processed foods are not good for you. And we all know that Americans love to over eat. So even with something as simple as a can of soup, which might have 800mg of sodium per serving, that can is 2 servings and we all know we're going to eat the whole can. One might even add more salt. And that's true for all processed foods. And this is where the problem lies.

So it's not just the sodium, it's the processed food, the high sodium content, and the over eating that puts Americans at risk for heart disease. Lets not forget the Sat Fats and the cholesterols also contribute poor health.

Over consumption of these 3 things and you're not gonna have a good time.

The 2015 debate

Many experts expect that the 2015 Dietary Guidelines will stick to the existing 2,300 milligram limit.

Already, the 15-member advisory panel in February recommended keeping the limit, though it withdrew support for the even stricter 1,500 milligram limit for African Americans and people over 50. It further called for measures to remove salt from American foods.

Cheryl Anderson, a nutrition expert at the University of California at San Diego who led the advisory panel’s sodium working group, said the government should continue to offer salt guidelines despite some of the recent findings that have called them into question.

One of the major critical studies was the PURE investigation, which incuded more than 100,000 people and was published in the New England Journal of Medicine. Anderson said it was “respectable” and “an important contribution.”

But she said such studies may be misleading because researchers take only a limited number of urine samples. And, she said, that type of research, known as observational studies, may suffer from a problem known as “reverse causality.” That is, while the data suggested that low-salt diets may have caused cardiovascular problems, maybe it was just the reverse - that preexisting cardiovascular problems had led people to eat low-salt diets.

The authors of the PURE study took steps to minimize such bias, but at the end, Anderson said, the weight of the evidence favored the old salt warning.

“We can’t take any one study in isolation,” Anderson said. “We placed the new ones in the context of the body of literature on sodium - and we put the strongest recommendations forward.”

[​IMG]

GoshGeeGolly and scoobyla like this.
  12. Gitfiddle

Reputations:
    Jesus fuck

Ridic likes this.
  13. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    it might not be as bad as they once thought but i know that if i eat some kentucky fried, or fast food in general, the next day i drink water like i had a wine hangover.

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  14. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  15. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    i don't believe it. There has to be upper limits on everything including salt. Salt is known to retain water and thats bad for you

DON'T GORGE ON THE SALT!
    That's correct, eating foods such as french fries, potato chips, and various other foods loaded with unnecessary amounts of sodium, will cause you to retain water. The body only needs between 2000-2500mg of sodium a day to complete its metabolic functions.

16. larryluncg

Reputations:
    forgot to add @Bro

17. Sea Slob

Sea Slob Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    @EasyJesus you can have the Chipotle burrito bowl :cheer:

18. larryluncg

Reputations:
    GIVE PREPARATION-H A TRY!
    If you've followed all of my previous steps, but still find that you are retaining a little more fluid than you'd like, I've found that rubbing preparation-H on my stomach before doing cardio, and/or tanning helps me to drop excess fluid from stubborn areas.

Once again, this won't work if you aren't already lean, or if you are slacking on your diet and/or consuming too much sodium. But if all of the above are in control, then this might just be the little spark to ignite the rest of that water releasing fire. Think about it…this stuff is used to shrink fluid out of swollen hemhorroidal tissue. It's worked for me, but once again it takes time.

So I've outlined the steps you should take in order to achieve the look you desire, minus the water-retention. As always, the first step to achieving that balanced physique is a proper nutritional and training regiment. If those are in check, and you find that you are 1 or 2 steps away from dropping that last bit of water, then this should be all you need to get to where you desire.

:facepalm: @Satori Brah

19. EasyJesus

EasyJesus Pappy Gold

Reputations:
    What's this all about? :worried:

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  20. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    I like salt