Poll: Howard Stern's Departure From America's Got Talent - Fired Or Retired??

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by OV, Sep 27, 2015.

?

Poll: Howard Stern Leaving America's Got Talent - Fired or Retired?

1. Fired: Simon Cowell wanted the show back in LA and his seat on the panel

2. Fired: For hemorrhaging away all the desired demographic ratings built up by Piers and The Hoff

3. Retired: Knew the hammer was coming down and preemptively left before it looked bad he was canned

4. Retired: Has something new lined up after Sirius that this gig interfered with

5. Retired: Wants to spend more quality (one on one)time with his wife - Ralph

6. Other - Please Explain

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    The question is: even being paid a somewhat less obscene King$ Ran$om for a part time, seasonal job, would he voluntarily walk away from those $Mega Millions and national mainstream exposure for him and possibly for a wife who craves attention?

2. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I think he saw the hammer coming down....he left b/c he knew it was coming. No frickin' way howard would leave $15 M ( or whatever) on the table..

cuz it's "all the marbloes" all the time.

3. BethWeave

BethWeave Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All of the above EXCEPT Howard had something else lined up. Not saying he doesn't have something else, but he would have been on AGT and pursued whatever is the new project. The KING OF ALL MEDIA--so we know he had a strategic plan to pursue it, but he doesn't have all media talent. Let me be clear: He had one media talent....had or orchestrated it. I still say Howard's radio success was for a limited time. Even if he still had Billy West, Jackie, Artie entertainment forms have changed (yikes can I use the creepy word evolved). Might have been successful helping produce mainstream movies. Howard is like some politicians (all parties) keep running until they find out no one is going to back them. His brand is still 70s with a tinge of the 80s. Best illustration is Howard's look. Most rockers have taken their wigs off or cut their hair. Howard added a scarf with t-shirts with short sleeves cut off.

4. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I think Howard was holding his breath through every year he was there.

The ratings were absolute shit and not even Howard believed his own spin when he said NBC was thrilled to have him there., If not for him they would have lost even more than 25% of their audience.

Howard saved the day.

I think every Wednesday and Thursday morning he would start shaking and breathing heavy in anticipation of how bed the numbers were this week.

I think he's delusional to think that everything was going to change once America got to see him in action and that his presence would have increased the ratings by at least 500%.

I don't think he could take the disappointment any more and quit. That plus he must have felt at least some guilt for having them move the entire show to NY just for him - which netted NBC absolutely NO return on their investment.

It was a losing experience from the first day to the last.

That's the "evolved" Howard for you.

5. hidden dragon

hidden dragon the princess of darkness Staff Member

Reputations:
    Obivously ran before he could officially shit canned from the show. So now he can say it was his decision, and he had other projects planned instead of let go for killing the ratings and making everything really ghey.

rabbigottfried and Dlist like this.
  6. John Mahlin

John Mahlin These go to eleven Gold

Reputations:
    That fuck was fired, no way Shithead ever walks away from a paycheck. Why he was fired, is irrelevant.

ZevonFan, hugh jasol, reno and 6 others like this.
  7. BooeyBanana

BooeyBanana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think it's a combination of most of the choices......he didn't give them the ratings they wanted, so Simon figures he might as well move
    the show back to LA and take over Howard's seat on the panel. I think the executives just let Howard say it was his decision to leave,
    but they really were going to fire him if he didn't go on his own--and Howard knew this.

I doubt he has anything solid lined up after he leaves.....except for babysitting a bunch of cats and painting a watercolor of Ralph!

ZevonFan, lisac37, Margos and 3 others like this.
  8. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Yeah, he's so clueless he'd never leave on his own... he was dragged out "feet first" cuz the target demographics had no use for him IMO.

Summer likes this.
  9. redwolf

redwolf Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    do you really retire from something after what 4 years? do 20+ at least and then it's a retirement!

reno, Tracy, Petal and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He always says you don't walk away from a good thing so....

lisac37, Tracy, Petal and 2 others like this.
  11. dancearmstrong

dancearmstrong Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I voted retired...He was kind of pushed out, though. I think he knew the writing was on the wall that he was not going to be asked back. The Sony email leak as well as assumed conversations he had with NBC made it clear to me it was one of those leave before we fire you type deals. They let him make an announcement to save face.

My question is, as we all assume they are moving back to LA, when will they make the announcement? Perhaps they are waiting until the Sirius contract ends (assuming he doesn't return.) Do they really care if he badmouths them? Is there a normal time when these types of shows make these "big" announcements?

Turtle Man and OV like this.
  12. BethWeave

Reputations:
    Please close your eyes then remember him at the Pomona Fairgrounds with people standing 1 deep on 1 side of the welcome line.
    Or think about the 13 people waiting for him outside of the Letterman appearance (he had more people in his entourage).

Now if you will forgive me just this once permit me to edit!:giggle:
    "I don't think he could take the disappointment and embarrassment any more and quit."
    Howard was "
    embarrassed for having them move the entire show to NY just for him" :snicker:

Tracy, Mr Fantastic, OV and 1 other person like this.
  13. Gear Jammer

Gear Jammer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fired. His day is long behind him.

Summer and OV like this.
  14. Fillmore Fingers

Fillmore Fingers Sandy Vag Banned User

Reputations:
    Not fired, simply not re-hired. Some might see that as being fired, so change my vote if you want.

I don't think they wanted him back, I think they realized that he had a face meant for radio, and that the money they paid him was a lousy investment.

reno, Summer, Abner Devereaux and 4 others like this.
  15. BethWeave

Reputations:

Fired not invited back. 6 or a half dozen. We all agree he wasn't sitting in that chair next year. Entertainment business is never gentle or kind or forgiving. Howard wasn't botoxing or major chin implanting until AGT. Tried....failed...gone
    Curly top had tv and movie plans. Howard the teen years and a sequel to his movie. Where is the Howard Planned Future Projects That Failed Thread? I have at least 10 for that list.

16. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  17. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

I have to admit, I'm not sure I know what you're"editorial rights" are referring to. It obviously has to do with the words "embarrassed and embarrassment. I'm just not sure why.

Sorry. It's Sunday night and I am brain-drained. Just too tired to think.

I definitely agree what you said about his "crowds" during AGT, not to mention the Letterman appearence.

You're spot on in both examples.

I really would love to know what Howard is actually thinking. Is he delusional enough to think that he's hotter than ever, or does he think he's become irrelevant.

Howard is not stupid. Not by any stretch. You can't earn the kind of money he does and at the same time not know what the hell you're doing.

But..... this is Howard Stern were talking about. No one props themselves up more than Howard. He's always the first person to tell you that he's number 1 and an innovator of radio.

Where are the damn flies when you need them?

OV and BethWeave like this.
  18. Father O'Blivion

Father O'Blivion Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wasn't there something about the Sony hacking regarding emails from Simon Whatshisname, saying he had to go?
    Wasn't that why the Wig was so outraged, that he called the incident "The same as 9/11"? :rolleyes:

reno, Summer and Tracy like this.
  19. BethWeave

Reputations:
    Only the word embarrassed. Totally agreed with what you said. Love what you said. Yes, I think celebrity infused with money often makes some stay long after they should go.

njguy8 likes this.
  20. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    reminds me of illini fan/dan from chicago. I believe the whole # of years was in 1 contract at the beginning, not year to year renewal. After the 4 years they chose not to renew.

reno, Wigward, Summer and 1 other person like this.