Politics Poll: Most Americans back NSA data collection

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Jun 1, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    rp.jpg

Washington (CNN)Americans overwhelmingly want to see Congress renew the law enabling the government to collect data on the public's telephone calls in bulk, though they are split on whether allowing that law to expire increases the risk of terrorism in the U.S.

With the provisions of the Patriot Act which allow the National Security Administration to collect data on Americans' phone calls newly expired, a new CNN/ORC poll finds 61% of Americans think the law ought to be renewed, including majorities across party lines, while 36% say it should not be reinstated.

Republican leaders in the Senate are working to pass a bill to reinstate the law, after delays led by Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky), whose presidential campaign has been noted for its appeal to independent voters and younger Republicans, and other surveillance opponents led to the law's expiration at 12:01 a.m. Monday. But Paul's stance on the issue is unlikely to bring him many fans within his own party.

Support for renewal peaks among Republicans, 73% of whom back the law. Democrats largely agree, with 63% saying the law should be renewed. Independents are least apt to back it, with 55% saying renew it and 42% let it expire. Liberals, regardless of partisan affiliation, are most likely to say the law should not be renewed, 50% say so while 48% want to see it renewed.

About half of Americans, 52%, say that if the law is not renewed, the risk of terrorism here in the U.S. would remain about the same. Still, a sizable 44% minority feel that without the law, the risk of terrorism will rise. Just 3% feel it would decrease.

The sense that the risk will rise is greatest among Republicans, 61% of whom say the risk of terrorism will climb if the NSA is unable to collect this data. Among Democrats and independents, less than half feel the risk of terrorism would increase if the program ended.

The poll reveals a steep generational divide on the data collection program. Among those under age 35, just 25% say the risk of terrorism would increase without NSA data collection. That more than doubles to 60% among those age 65 or older. Those under age 35 are also split on whether the law should be renewed at all, 50% say it should be renewed while 49% say it should not. Among those age 35 or older, 65% back renewal of the law.

President Barack Obama's reviews for handling government surveillance of U.S. citizens have worsened since June 2013 when the NSA data collection program was first revealed. Overall, 67% say they disapprove of the president's handling of government surveillance of U.S. citizens, up from 61% in June 2013.

Much of that decline comes among his fellow partisans. In June 2013, 61% of Democrats approved of the president's handling of surveillance issues, that has fallen to 49% in the new poll.

Obama fares better on his handling of terrorism generally, 45% approve and 51% disapprove.

The CNN/ORC Poll was conducted by telephone May 29-31 among a random national sample of 1,025 adults. The margin of sampling error for results based on the full sample is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politics/poll-nsa-data-collection-cnn-orc/index.html

2. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    It's really amazing how Americans are willing to give up freedoms for a false sense of security.

3. Shadoe Stevens

Shadoe Stevens Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think people on both sides just line up with whatever stupid politician they think is looking out for them.

Butters Stoch, MrPACS, reno and 2 others like this.
  4. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Obama really perplexes me. He's all for this NSA Data Collection but he's also for open borders. Talk about locking up Fort Know with a janky screen door...

SorryBoff and tradioguy69 like this.
  5. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    *Fort Knox

6. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bullshit poll. If you explained to people what was really going on they would be against it. At least I hope they would. I have lost faith in the knowledge of the common U.S. citizen. Local governments have systematically removed teaching the U.S. constitution out of their curriculums.

7. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Mulletude likes this.
  8. 3DayWorkWeek

3DayWorkWeek Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yea well fuck them. Most don't believe basic science. Go Rand Paul (on this issue).

9. Rip mcdivvit

Rip mcdivvit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There are billions of calls going on every single day in the US. I dont know how they can make sense of it all. Seems to me like media are overblowing this. Your privacy went out the door when you decided to create a facebook profile.

10. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." Attributed to Joseph Goebbels 1933

MrPACS, BethSucks and Mulletude like this.
  11. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is the part that bugs me. Is it a false sense of security or are they actually finding and keeping an eye on a bunch of bad guys? I don't know the answer.

Regardless, taking a second look at the Patriot Act and perhaps dialing it back in some areas doesn't seem like a bad thing. I applaud Paul's efforts to get that done.

12. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    data collection ain't never gonna stop
    who has access and what they do with data needs to be legislated!

Micheal Kenyon and XaltedSmoke like this.
  13. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    In the same poll, when asked if they approved of the way Obama is handling government surveillance of US citizens, only 29% of Americans approved and 67% disapproved.

upload_2015-6-2_6-59-57.png

55% said that there would be no increase in the risk of terrorism if the NSA surveillance program was not reinstated. :jj:

upload_2015-6-2_7-0-24.png

Americans are retarded and have no idea what is going on (look who's residing in the WH right now). Americans don't know what they agree or disagree with. They drift through life in an unconscious fog and cannot even form their own opinions anymore. If the question were asked a different way, the results would be different.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  14. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    some politician on the tv yesterday
    no idea who
    don't remember
    not some guy I've seen before I don't think

going on about how we'll all be less safe without this
    the terrorists are licking their chops at this being gone
    the sky's falling
    ten seconds later the news guy (I do think it was that wolf dude) says bye bye
    the politician grins ear to ear and thanks him for having him on

if it was the end of the world would you really be so fucking cheerful and pleasant?
    it struck me as an odd ending to a doomsday speech

15. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    they telephoned 1025 out of 300 million Americans?

their sample size is 0.00341667% of the country?

that's the same as deciding you are healthy by looking at 1000 cells evenly distributed all over your body.

you would change doctors if your current doc did that. why are you willing to accept similar bullshit from CNN?

16. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    pretty standard sample size :wtf:

Cunt and jake206 like this.
  17. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Hell, it ain't just the NSA overstepping their bounds...

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-behind-my...raft-over-us-cities-070836765--politics.html#

The FBI is operating a small air force with scores of low-flying planes across the country carrying video and, at times, cellphone surveillance technology — all hidden behind fictitious companies that are fronts for the government, The Associated Press has learned.

The planes' surveillance equipment is generally used without a judge's approval, and the FBI said the flights are used for specific, ongoing investigations. In a recent 30-day period, the agency flew above more than 30 cities in 11 states across the country, an AP review found.
    Some of the aircraft can also be equipped with technology that can identify thousands of people below through the cellphones they carry, even if they're not making a call or in public. Officials said that practice, which mimics cell towers and gets phones to reveal basic subscriber information, is rare.

Micheal Kenyon likes this.
  18. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:

NOTHING the NSA is doing has stopped a SINGLE terrorist incident.
    Worse yet, the General leading the NSA at the time LIED to Congress about their activities.

*Didn't Stop Boston Bombers despite being persons of interest for years.
    *Didn't stop Nadal Hassan at Ft. Hood despite having multiple lousy fitness reports outlining his militancy

WE ought to disband the whole fucking agency.

19. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    if CNN interviews 20 people in each state, and every one they talk to is HIV positive, will you accept the decision that the entire country is gay, has AIDs, and lives for their nightly Pooz parties like Jeton? Will you then worry that you must be abnormal and therefore run out to get ass-fucked nightly so you will be normal?

just because the studies use ridiculously small sample sizes in order to predetermine the outcome to support their position, is no reason why any intelligent person should swallow such results.

jubal714 likes this.
  20. Homerj123

Homerj123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I love these polls that say MOST Americans "agree with...", "disagree with..." and yet I have never received one phone call or doorbell ringing survey on any political poll taken ever.