Pollution from Chinese Manufacturing Choking US West Coast

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Jan 22, 2014.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Pollution from Chinese Manufacturing Choking US West Coast

by Robert Wilde 21 Jan 2014

[​IMG]

Billowing across the Pacific Ocean from China and landing on the western shore of the United States are significant quantities of toxic air pollutants, including sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, and black carbon. Ironically, a great deal of that air pollution is caused by the production of goods inside China for export to the United States.

A paper that was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences on Monday is the first time researchers quantified how much pollution was actually reaching the West Coast of the United States. Unfortunately, the disturbing findings indicate that although a decrease in U.S. manufacturing has improved air quality in eastern portions of the U.S., the West Coast has been harmed by China's exported pollutants.
    Los Angeles, which already suffers from copious amounts of air pollutants, endures at least one more day each year that exceeds federal ozone standards because of air toxins emitted by the Chinese industrial complex. Moreover, as much as a quarter of sulfate pollution on the West Coast can be linked to the manufacture of Chinese exports.
    The Report demonstrates that U.S. demand for cheap imports such as cell phones, televisions, and appliances has backfired to some extent. “It’s sort of a boomerang effect,” explained system scientist at UC Irvine and co-author of the study. “We've outsourced our manufacturing and much of our pollution, but some of it is blowing back across the Pacific to haunt us.”
    Not surprisingly, popular unrest has surfaced in China in response to the ever-increasing domestic air pollution and accompanying smog. “I did not even dare to cross the street,” said Zhang Xiaofeng, a 24-year old bulldozer driver who suffers from eye pain and chronic coughing because of the smog. “I waited and waited at the intersection and looked again and again, but I couldn’t see if any cars were coming. Even the traffic lights were invisible.”

Get ready California residents! The shitheads in Sacramento and at the A.Q.M.D., will take this data and pass more taxes and regulations on cars and industry and insist California residents are to blame for this. As much as I miss the weather, I'm so glad I don't live there anymore.

2. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    Put energy producing windmills all along the west coast and direct the wind flow westerly. It will provide energy and blow the stink back at them Chinamen. A two-fer. :cheer:

3. BringBackJackie

BringBackJackie Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Does it smell like chop suey?

4. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    I bet people are dying like crazy over there. I wonder if they put the bodies in these white cardboard boxes with the little metal handle?

5. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    The epitaph is encased inside the fortune cookie.

6. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    the pollution over there is a nightmare. their cancer rates have got to be scary.
    hopefully they get a handle on things but it would take a long time to clean things up.
    it would be nice if they would come up with that great solar panel that actually worked economically.

we cleaned up our air water and land quite a bit from the good old days so there is some hope.

all over S.E. asia, they burn rice crop fields every year and the smoke covers areas in most countries for days or weeks on end.

7. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    With their population issues is there incentive to prevent toxicity?

8. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    When people say the US is the problem when it comes to pollution, they are out of their minds. We are a drop in the proverbial bucket compared to China and India.

9. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Howard has 30 bathrooms

10. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    We love cheap products
    We love Chinese slave labor

11. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    They burn them in the furnaces that power the plants. What do ya think is blowing over here!

12. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    soylent green is people. :grad:

13. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    After you ingest a toxic dose of LA pollution, an hour later your lungs will be craving some more.

14. Murphy

Murphy mglw'nafh fhthagn-ngah VIP

Reputations:
    The link to that place is pnas.org

PENIS
    DOT
    ORG

Just pointing that out.

[​IMG]

15. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    We cleaned it up by shipping all of the manufacturing jobs over to China. Now they have the pollution AND the economy. :smile:

Beer snob, dummy. :ballhit:

16. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

17. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    damn that sucks, combine that with the Jap nuke spillage also going to Cali and u got a future wasteland on your hands.

18. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...the beginning of the end of their cheap production power, ceo's are seeing shipping costs rise too. and yes they have an incentive because "they" have to breath the same air and drink the same water. also the one and only wood chinese make chopsticks out of, that species of forested wood is disappearing and omg theres a chopstick shortage. they will not/do nt eat off of any other chopsticks according to what i read, no plastic and not the sticks we get in a paper package in the usa.

...theyre going to have to regulate their manufacturing now that they took a jump start on pouring toxins on the land in the water and in the air. prices will go up on prodution costs to pay for all kinds of shit. :giggle:

19. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    Chinese production cost are already going up on average of 10-15% yearly, just based off of the higher labor demand.

20. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...i also heard shipping costs and lag time has made some ceos bring production back to the usa. i dont know how true it is but made in the usa still sells product.