News 'Preppy Killer' Robert Chambers: Where Is He Now?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 24, 2016.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Sometimes i have trouble playing CBS videos embedded here. If you have trouble copy and paste this link
    Code:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-preppy-killer-2/
    August 20, 2016, 10:00 PM|To mark the 30th anniversary of a case that made national headlines, "48 Hours" broadcasts the only interview with "Preppy Killer" Robert Chambers.

It was a shocking crime that first made headlines in New York City – and then quickly spread across the nation.

In August 1986, 18-year-old Jennifer Levin was found by a cyclist in Central Park. She had been strangled. Arrested for the crime: Robert Chambers, a handsome 20-year-old who had attended several prep schools and spent a semester at Boston University.

The case was soon dubbed "The Preppy Murder" and became a daily fixture in newspapers and on tabloid television.

Chambers was arrested and charged with two counts of manslaughter. His defense argued that Levin's death had occurred during "rough sex."

Chambers' Life Today

After the jury deadlocked, Chambers pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to 5 to 15 years in prison. He was released in 2003 – but soon found himself in trouble again.

After holding a series of odd jobs, he was arrested for selling drugs out of his New York apartment. In 2008, he was sentenced to 19 years in jail. His earliest release date from prison is Jan. 25, 2024

Meanwhile, Levin's family has moved forward. Her mother, Ellen Levin, has become a noted victims advocate to help other families deal with their grief.

Still, the family still mourns the loss of the vivacious, bright 18-year-old. "I think [about] what Jennifer might be doing, what she would look like," her mother, Ellen Levin, told PEOPLE after Chambers was released. "I think about the grandchildren I won't have. Her dream was to be a designer, but that's gone now. And all that loss runs deep."

Thirty years after the murder, the Reelz channel revisits the crime in its docuseries Murder Made Me Famous. In Saturday night's episode, many key players in the case speak out – some for the first time in decades.

Murder Made Me Famous combines reenactments, exclusive interviews and never-before-seen photos and video to tell the story of infamous murderers. The show is hosted by PEOPLE Senior Writer Steve Helling.

http://www.reelz.com/murder/

http://www.people.com/article/robert-chambers-murder-made-me-famous-anniversary

Big Bad Booey likes this.
  2. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    So interesting that if you don't get justice in the first trial (i.e. short sentence) don't worry they will screw up on something else and be back in prison again. Same thing with OJ.

3. aquadog

aquadog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I watched the show on this. Really interesting. I remember growing up in the 80s and reading the NY papers when it happened. I never understood why he killed her.

4. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    He got more time for drugs than he did for murder.

5. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    After holding a series of odd jobs, he was arrested for selling drugs out of his New York apartment. In 2008, he was sentenced to 19 years in jail. His earliest release date from prison is Jan. 25, 2024

dawg likes this.
  6. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This guy?
    [​IMG]

7. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I saw the original "he's out" show (this may have been a repeat recently) and his smugness and bullshit came through loud and clear. Total sociopath.

8. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    OJ effect

9. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    denied him the poon, probably few had before, he was drunk, and after she scratched his pretty face resisting he probably flipped out on her.

DiamondGoddess and Big Bad Booey like this.
  10. BLOW ME

BLOW ME Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Sex Play Got Rough" was the headline in the daily news that week, we had a house in seaside heights that week and pinned it to the wall

11. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

Seaside?? Pshaw! Disgracia!

aquadog likes this.
  12. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    So he's still in jail> Good, that's all I wanna know

Spoiled shitbag

13. BLOW ME

BLOW ME Well-Known Member