Politics Presidential Debate Hosts Preparing Third Podium for Gary Johnson

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 10, 2016.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Hell yeah! will he call Trump a pussy?

2016-07-22-1469148215-7692903-GaryJohnsonxlarge1.jpg

The venues that will host the presidential debates are drawing up plans for a three-person forum that would provide a lectern for a third-party candidate to stand on stage next to Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

The directive comes from producers working for the Commission on Presidential Debates and it’s meant, they say, to force the university hosts to be prepared and not as a reflection of the state of the race. But it could give supporters of Libertarian Gary Johnson and Green Party nominee Jill Stein hope as they push an alternative to the historically unpopular major party nominees.

“With [former Gov.] Gary Johnson polling in some places more than double digits, they might have, some of our production people may have said, ‘Just in case, you need to plan out what that might look like,’” Commission on Presidential Debates co-chair and former Bill Clinton White House Press SecretaryMike McCurry told POLITICO. "We won’t know the number of invitations we extend until mid-September."

To participate in one of the four general-election debates (three for president, one for vice president), candidates must be eligible for the presidency and "appear on a sufficient number of state ballots to have a mathematical chance of winning a majority vote in the Electoral College,” the commission announced last year. They also must have a level of support nationally of at least 15 percent as "determined by five selected national public opinion polling organizations, using the average of those organizations' most recently publicly-reported results at the time of the determination."

Johnson is hovering around 8.8 percent in national polls, according to RealClearPolitics’ average, whereas Stein, when included in polling, is at around 3.8 percent. Despite being below the 15 percent cutoff, there might be some flexibility in getting someone like Johnson on stage. Frank Fahrenkopf, McCurry’s Republican counterpart and co-chair on the commission, told CNBC last week that the commission may “consider giving an inch” to a third-party candidate if he or she is close enough to the cutoff point.

"If someone came in and let's say he was [polling] at 14.5 percent and the margin of error in five polls was 3 points, we are going to have to sit down and look at it," Fahrenkopf said. "But right now that person would not be included."

Representatives for the debate sites of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and Washington University in St. Louis directed inquiries to the Commission on Presidential Debates. Hofstra University did not respond to a request for comment.

Late last month, Trump and the RNC also expressed displeasure at the debate commission’s schedule because two debates are scheduled the same night as NFL games.

But despite complaints and promises from the Trump campaign manager that a meeting would be scheduled, no meeting appears to have been set yet,McCurry said. Campaign spokeswoman Hope Hicks did not respond to questions on Monday, though last week she said she would keep reporters apprised of any scheduled meetings.

Beyond the statement last week on how the debate schedule is set, the commission doesn’t plan to get more involved as it tries to avoid sparking a debate on the debates, the commission has repeatedly asserted. And even if there were more discussions to take place, they’d have to be directly between the campaigns, McCurry said.

If the two campaigns decide to have on their own a separate set of discussions about terms, the commission then considers their requests, McCurry said,something often called a “memorandum of understanding” that is traditionally drawn up between the two campaigns.

More.....

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/debates-clinton-trump-johnson-stein-226806

2. dawg

Reputations:
  3. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Only one reason someone with zero chance of winning would be allowed to debate. To sabotage Trump. The desperation is unbelievable.

is a fair election even possible in America any more? I say hell no.

The Snork, Hough, TheHighHat and 4 others like this.
  4. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    They should let in Stein as well. If the four of them debated, no rational person would then go pull the lever for Clinton or Trump.

5. dawg

Reputations:
    I'm not positive on the rules but dont you have to have 15%? which i think Gary is very close to getting.

XuXu likes this.
  6. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    Why have anyone with zero chance of winning the election "debate"? It obviously puts them at an advantage just knowing they have nothing to lose.

TheHighHat and Dirty South like this.
  7. Tickle Shits

Tickle Shits Special Needs Typist. Gold

Reputations:
    Good! I'm tired of these to fuckface parties getting all of the attention.

8. dawg

Reputations:
    Sabotage? What do you have against democracy and giving people a choice? I'm voting for Gary, my candidate doesn't get the same consideration? In fact it is reverse with you trump people, you are trying to force the orangutan on the rest of us.

Box of Rox, Anyonenow, Hough and 3 others like this.
  9. cg256

Reputations:
    I don't really know either. I'd just like for everyone to see that there are viable left and right candidates that aren't Trump or Clinton.

Anyonenow likes this.
  10. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ya. You fools don't think trumps sabotaging trump?:facepalm:

Hough and XuXu like this.
  11. cg256

Reputations:
    Why do they have zero chance? The Republicans killed the Whig party by attracting enough people, the Green and Libertarian could do the same.

Artiespig, Hough, God and 2 others like this.
  12. Roland Schwinn

Roland Schwinn *Likes reported as of October 14, 2016 Gold

Reputations:
    One of the things demos and reps seem to regularly agree on is there is no room for a third party. Which makes me think a third party is probably a good thing for me, the average schmuck.

I would love to see Johnson in the debates.

doucheBag, bill, Anyonenow and 5 others like this.
  13. dawg

Reputations:
    I agree with you, all four candidates need to be on stage. Enough with the two party crap. I'm not sure what the polls have to say before then but here is today.

896218.png

cg256 and Roland Schwinn like this.
  14. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I thought it was 10% but I think you're probably right. :dontknow:

15. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    Why not let 50 people up there??? There is always someone to shoot down anyone's position. Everyone knows any 3rd party candidate will hurt Trump more than Hillary. 2 against 1, duh. Otherwise no way in hell would they be even thinking about it.

"your" candidate has as much a chance at being elected as I do. We all know that. "two party" crap is the reality that we live in, my friend. 3rd party ALWAYS hurts one of the leading candidates. it is nothing more than a tool of division and sabotage. until the system changes, this is a fact.

SouthernListen likes this.
  16. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
  17. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  18. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
  19. Roland Schwinn

Roland Schwinn *Likes reported as of October 14, 2016 Gold

Reputations:

I watched Johnson on a couple podcasts/ shows, he was saying 15%.

20. Quality Control

Quality Control dove Gold

Reputations:
    Madone. The only thing missing is a chin strap.

potroast and TheMercenary like this.