Pretty good article on how today's parents fuck up their kids

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When i was a kid my mother used to tell my brother and i to get out at 8 am and be back for supper at 5, no fear of "danger"
    What the article misses also is the point that the divorce rate is so high and that more kids are being raised by a single mother and that they tend to be more fearful i believe...

Also the advent of 24 hr. cable news constantly bringing the doom and gloom and rare missing children stories into the households also adds to parents hysteria

So sad what's being done to today's kids

Kids aren’t spending enough time just going outside

[​IMG]
    There is much research showing that we spend too little time in the natural world and it has had grave effects on our mental and physical health. Study after study suggests that spending time outside reduces stress for children and adults. Even having a view of nature from a hospital room has been shown to reduce recovery time.

Other studies have found that spending time in nature increases one’s attention span. And in an era when millions of children are being prescribed drugs for ADHD, it is worth noting that there might be ways to help them with fewer side effects. Like turning off the television and telling them to go play outside.

The boomer generation is probably the last one that got to spend any significant amount of time outdoors by themselves. The population shift away from rural areas has had some effect, but it’s much more than that.

According to a survey by professors at Manhattanville College of 800 mothers, almost three-quarters of them recall playing outside every day when they were children. But only a quarter of them say their kids play outside every day.

And the time that is spent outside more often is an organized sport rather than exploring nature. It’s one of the little remarked upon ironies of our age that childhood obesity has skyrocketed at the same time as kids’ participation in organized sports has reached its zenith.

How could this be? Well, for one thing, organized sports don’t actually provide as much activity as parents think they do. Little League games (and practices) involve a lot of standing around kicking dirt.

An older gentleman I interviewed recently told me that he is a big supporter of the Boy Scouts in part because you can do well at it and enjoy being outside even if you’re not an athletic kid. “What it takes to earn a badge is hard work.” Sadly, Boy Scout membership has been in decline. The Girl Scouts, meanwhile, seem to be more concerned with subjects like Teaching Tolerance and
    Financial Literacy than pitching a tent or identifying birds. And now the kids who are not adept at sports just sit inside and play video games.
    Many parents say they keep their kids inside to keep them safe. In some bad neighborhoods, perhaps, their concerns are well founded. But there has been no spike in the number of child abductions in the leafy suburbs. So why do these parents give their children such a small radius in which to roam?

Nature itself is now so unexplored that many adults and children have a deep-seated fear of it. In his 2005 book, “Last Child in the Woods,” Richard Louv suggests that popular culture has had some effect here, with movies like “The Blair Witch Project” suggesting that nature is something to be afraid of.

But Louv argues that environmentalists themselves have contributed to the problem. Since whenever we speak to children about nature, it is usually about some apocalyptic event that is going to befall the planet, children get the message that nature is basically one big impending disaster. And when we talk to children about the importance of preserving nature, we are often referring to the damage done to some rainforest they will never see.

But what about the idea of enjoying nature? Of wandering through the forests in their own back yards? Kids can no longer build treehouses because they’re too dangerous and might damage a tree. They can’t go fishing or hunting because they might kill something. They can’t wander aimlessly around outside because it won’t build their college résumé.

We spend too much time fearing or pitying nature, and not enough time enjoying it.

x76, babybear, Asshat and 7 others like this.
  2. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    My Old Man rest his soul used to say "Go outside and get the stink outa your pants!"

3. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Wait until the muzzies infiltrate neighborhoods.:chair: Like it's not bad enough already.

4. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Thanks obama.

5. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Adding 100,000 Syrians should ease the tension, right Barry?

6. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    In the summer, we used to be out all day. We would be miles from our houses. No adult would even know where we were. We never thought to be scared. I think our mothers enjoyed the peace and quiet when we were not there too.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    x76, Graveyard, Ganggreen87 and 10 others like this.
  7. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    The author doesn't seem to be aware of the Lyme disease risk from deer ticks. It's a huge problem throughout the Nothheast.

piledriver123 likes this.
  8. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    I used to play in the woods, play in creeks, ride my bike for dozens of miles at a time, and sometimes just walk/run around.

Kept me skinny and fit.

Today's kids are like veal and don't know a thing. It creates Millennials. Ugh.

x76, icypussy, babybear and 5 others like this.
  9. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Mom, God bless here, used to watch The Soupy Sales Show with us. When Philo Kvetch unmasked the evil Mask, she yelled out: "It's Kruschev!" Good times. :)

x76 and babybear like this.
  10. Ctanner

Ctanner Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

11. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    And the upcoming Mariel Boatlift redux.

babybear likes this.
  12. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    ... it's mostly computers and technology.

My parents used to encourage me to go out and play all the time. My mom was kinda dingy and never ever watches the news ever, I didn't get inundated with any neurotic fear indoctrinating. But I had a magic box that provided free pr0n, music and entertainment whenever I wanted it... why would I go outside? I had badly photoshopped Britney Spears fake nudes to jack to.

Though, sure, I guess you could provide parental blame for purchasing the box in the first place... as we debate and discuss through technology...

But fear hysteria? Meh... a) kids don't give a fuck about the news, old people do b) kids don't listen to their parents anyway, did you old people forget? This article/theory seems completely out of touch with reality.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  13. Shithead

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Chatsworth and JFK like this.
  14. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    Kids don't play outside anymore . They all sit in the house and stare at iPad and Xbox

x76, PI Nate and babybear like this.
  15. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    We used to play outside for hours dreaming of the day someone would create a box we could hook up to our television sets so we could go back inside.

16. Shithead

Reputations:
    So much to be learned outside that you can't get staring at a screen

x76, icypussy, babybear and 2 others like this.
  17. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    My neighbors have 3 kids between 2 and 8ish, a large yard and a great swing set. They are NEVER outside. To the point where I suspect it's cultish

They got out of their car one day this summer and came running over. I said "hi, kids. Haven't seen you around much this summer."

The middle one said "mommy doesn't like to go out when it's hot."

The older one got mad and shushed her.

I felt terrible for those kids. I'm out from sun up til sundown with my little one, running around, wheeling her around, whatever. I get hot, too, but it's part of the job.

x76, PI Nate, babybear and 2 others like this.
  18. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    of course they fuck up their kids. its their job. If parents don't do, the government will have to

19. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    My avatar is a perfect example of a kid staring at a computer screen 24/7. :(

20. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

LOL @ get too hot...Jesus christ

No wonder people can't function when it's 80 degrees out :jj:

Bye You! and babybear like this.