News Prince Harry launches 16 Invictus Games with Michelle Obama for Wounded Warriors

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Nov 1, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    48210405.cached.jpg

As Prince Harry embarks this week upon his latest trip to the United States, the fact remains that the American public generally perceive him as the Playboy Prince, a rampaging royal party animal with a lifestyle that dreams are made of.

The reality though, is now a little different.

Now 31, Harry, fifth in line to the British throne and dropping fast after the arrival of his brother Prince William’s two children, is very much a sportsman, and not just because he had the stamina to party with swimming star Ryan Lochte a couple of years ago and counts Usain Bolt among his pals.

No, it is because the formerly roguish royal has used the sheer power of his personality and connections to put together the Invictus Games, an Olympics-style event for wounded members of the armed forces.

It is for the Games that Harry is making his American excursion, not for a repeat of his raucous Las Vegas party tour in 2012. Harry is scheduled to meet with First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden on Wednesday, and join them for a visit to Fort Belvoir in Virginia to promote the second staging of the Invictus Games, to be held in Orlando from May 8-12.

For the first edition, a year ago in London, competitors were stunned to see Harry everywhere, dashing from event to event, a truly hands-on host. Sometimes well-known figures lend their name to a cause, and that has value in itself. But it means more when the commitment is personal and all-encompassing.

“It was almost surreal at the last Games,” Mickaela Richards, 27, told USA TODAY Sports. “The events were at the Olympic Park and there was Harry, racing around on a bicycle, going from event to event. He didn’t want to miss anything. To see that passion was incredible for our community.”

Richards served in the British Navy on expeditions that included capturing pirates off the coast of Somalia before a 2011 car accident on a training exercise left her with brain injuries and post-traumatic stress disorder.

She said competing in the first Games, where she won two golds on the track and a silver in power-lifting “changed my entire life.”

As an Army captain who saw service in Afghanistan, military matters and the rehabilitation of the wounded is close to Harry’s heart.

“As I've continued to work with wounded servicemen and women, I regularly see the power of the soldiers' stories to inspire others,” Harry said in a statement provided by the Invictus Games Foundation. “For every competitor last September, there are hundreds of others around the world who would benefit from having the same opportunity.

“Over the past eight years, I have witnessed the whole cycle of life-changing injury. I can only begin to imagine how challenging the journey of recovery is, but the admiration I have for these men and women, to move beyond their injuries, is limitless.”

The Orlando event expects to welcome 500 competitors from 15 nations, competing in 10 sports. Organizing committee chief Ken Fisher is confident the competition will become a regular part of the international sports calendar, while providing a vital opportunity for wounded soldiers.

“Harry really has a passion for improving the lives of these men and women,” Fisher said. “He knows the power of sports to heal and we strive to make this all about the competitors, their families and their journey.”

There is little doubt America can expect a different Harry this time around. With William the future king of his nation, married these past four years and shouldering all the responsibility of a monarch in waiting, Harry was largely free to live it up. Since his late teens, the English tabloids hungrily captured every snippet of his laddish lifestyle, portraying a roller-coaster ride of rubbing shoulders with famous faces and beautiful women.

On that 2012 trip he even raced against Lochte in a Vegas pool, both clad in designer jeans, at the end of the kind of night in Sin City that, let’s face it, you wish you were a part of.

Yet just as royals enjoy greater privilege than most, they are also allowed to grow up and it is with compassionate endeavors such as the Invictus Games that has put Harry on the road to being truly loved by his countryfolk, much like his mother, the late Princess Diana.

He still, by all accounts, enjoys a good time as much as anyone, but his greater passion now seems to be in making a difference, with sports as his vehicle for good.

Drive on, sir.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2015/10/27/prince-harry-united-states-invictus-games/74699980/

2. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    Harry does some good, between parties.

3. doughhead63

doughhead63 OD'd on life itself Staff Member

Reputations:
    I am willing to switch places with him :hw:

4. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah.

:snicker:

5. matt1357

matt1357 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  6. BooeyBanana

BooeyBanana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sounds like a really valid charity event to be involved with. Anything that helps wounded service people is to be commended.

I guess Prince Harry felt this was more important than fostering kitty kats at Buckingham Palace. Good for him!

TheJackiePuppet likes this.
  7. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    It must be exhausting showing up and putting your name on something while your underlings handle the details. Whew, I'm tuckered out just thinking about it.

8. alittlebitcunty

alittlebitcunty Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This post has been reported for lèse-majesté.

SouthernListen likes this.
  9. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Sorry, let me make it up to them.