News Prisoners get millions from IRS in bogus refund claims 2014

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Apr 16, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    This article looked at 2012 and so on. What will it be in 2015?
    irs.jpg

Hundreds of thousands of prisoners are filing phony tax refund claims and the IRS is not doing enough to quash the problem, according to a watchdog report.

The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) said in its report Tuesday that refund fraud associated with prisoner Social Security numbers is a “significant problem” for the tax agency that is only getting worse over time.

According to the report, more than 137,000 phony tax returns were filed in 2012 using a prisoner’s Social Security number to the tune of $1 billion. While many of the fake refunds were flagged and prevented by the agency, the IRS issued $70 million in bogus refunds.

This was a significant increase from 2007, when more than 37,000 fake tax returns were filed for amounts equaling $166 million.

“Tax refund fraud associated with prisoners remains a significant problem for tax administration,” the report said.

The watchdog conducted the review after previous reports showed that the IRS was not doing enough to identify and crack down on fraudulent prisoner tax refund claims. The review was aimed at determining if the agency was doing enough to correct the problem.

The watchdog determined that the IRS was not taking a number of steps to crack down on the fraud. For one, the report said the IRS has not shared the information about the fraudulent claims with state and federal prison authorities.

In addition, the watchdog found that the IRS was not providing consistent updates to Congress about the problem, as is required by the Inmate Tax Fraud Prevention Act of 2008.

“TIGTA also found that the required annual prisoner fraud reports to Congress are not timely and that the reports do not address all aspects of prisoner fraud,” the report said.

TIGTA made six recommendations to the IRS to remedy the problem, of which the agency agreed with four.

In response, a representative for the IRS said the agency is working to stop the problem of prisoner tax refund fraud.

“The IRS has continued to build on processes to detect and stop potentially fraudulent refund claims made by prisoners,” Debra Holland, the agency’s commissioner of its Wage and Investment Division, said.

2. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    They dont have time to eradicate this fraud, theyre too busy investigating Conservative groups...:coffee:

3. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    They should be locked up.

Cunt, reno and Lance Murdock like this.
  4. Lance Murdock

Lance Murdock Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A+

5. Chicken Soda

Chicken Soda Unknown Member

Reputations:
    Prisoners hoping to ditch the state and be transferred to a cleaner Federal Pound-Me-In-the-ass prison.

GLguygardner likes this.
  6. Micheal Kenyon

Micheal Kenyon Here

Reputations:
    I'm seriously wearing thin of playing by the rules.

You Knew! and ricklickme like this.
  7. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Imagine if there was a $70 million theft from a business. The cops would be all up in dis.

The US government is fleeced for $70 million, and....NOTHING. No one gets arrested. Nothing happens.

I maintain that the Obama Admin is actually in favor of this sort of thing since they do nothing to try and stop it.

8. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Meanwhile, from Forbes...

Obama Immigration Fix: 4M Illegals Who Never Paid U.S. Tax, Get 3 Years Of Tax Refunds

Comment Now
    IRS can audit for three years, so you can usually go back three years to amend your return or claim a credit you forgot. What if you neverhad any income or never filed a return? Just wait. Since an illegal immigrant under President Obama’s executive action can now get a Social Security number, the immigrant road map is clear.

First, get the Social, then claim the Earned Income Tax Credit for the three open tax years, and Voila! IRS sends you three years of tax refunds. Welcome to America! No matter that you never paid taxes, never filed a return, worked off the books, etc. All sins forgiven. And the IRS says this is the way the Earned Income Tax Credit works. Recall that the Earned Income Tax Credit—EITC to those in the tax biz—is the one that is responsible for billions in fraudulent refunds.

[​IMG]

In that sense, this is just one more accolade for the EITC. If this sounds too good to be true, or too strange to be possible, check out what the IRS says about the Earned Income Tax Credit, including this list of questions and answers. It makes you wonder if he knew in advance of the tax refund bonanza for illegal immigrants or this is just gravy. Regardless, Republicans are not happy with the President or the IRS Commissioner.

Commissioner Koskinen may just be the messenger, though he does not appear to mind doing the President’s bidding. Mr. Koskinen explained the seemingly bizarre result to Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa). Mr. Koskinen says the IRS is following a 15-year-old opinion that “a taxpayer may claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) for a taxable year using a social security number (SSN) acquired in a later taxable year.”

Calling the three year tax refund perk a mockery of the law, Senator Grassley noted that illegals would be able to claim billions of dollars in tax benefits. He vowed to push legislation to overturn the IRS position. “The tax code shouldn’t reward those who broke our immigration laws,” he said. Of course, there are many other reasons that the President’s executive action on immigration remain highly controversial.

So far, the President hasn’t backed down on changing our immigration laws by himself. A court battle over the executive action is underway. As a result, the court has temporarily put the President’s plans on hold. Yet more than tax dollars are at stake.

If the President’s executive action is ultimately upheld by the courts, the illegal immigrants in question would not only get Social Security numbers, and now tax refunds. They would apparently be entitled to driver’s licenses. Moreover, some commentators have suggested that Obamacare could make illegal immigrants more attractive to hire than U.S. born workers. Kafka must be taking notice.

9. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    No worries US goverment I don't mind, I will just work an extra 15 hours on top of my 55 - 60 already.

Cunt likes this.
  10. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Political groups filing for tax exempt status. I find it amusing that no one acknowledges that these groups shouldn't be filing for tax exempt status in the first place.

11. Droog

Reputations:
    My returns were rejected. I claimed my foster daughter as a dependent, which I have a legal right to do, and it got rejected because someone else already filed a return using her social security number. I had to refile with an explanation of why I'm the only entity allowed to legally claim her. Probably one of her parents who had her taken away and lost all parental rights in 2013.

12. PI Nate

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

yaddc and Shortwave98 like this.
  13. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Obama in da house Players

PI Nate likes this.
  14. PI Nate

Reputations:
    Well, I guess that absolves learner and this administration from all the felonies they committed...:lmao:

15. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    and bleeding the rest of us dry.

16. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    so true. and i still can't figure out why religious organizations, clergymen (including imans and sharpton), and other entities get tax exempt status.

let ALL pay or no one. i suppose the fairest way to do this is a flat tax, no exemptions.

FishySausage and scoobyla like this.
  17. PI Nate

Reputations:
    The dem base needs to eat, dont they? :coffee:

18. Droog

Reputations:
    But our effective rate isn't shit. I'm paying a lower effective rate today than I think I've ever paid.

19. Droog

Reputations:
    But our effective rate isn't shit. I'm paying a lower effective rate today than I think I've ever paid. That's part of our problem. No one wants to pay taxes but they want government to spend.

20. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    From the Cell Block Office of HR Black