Private Parts Submitted Movie Posters

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by thunderfist2112, Feb 12, 2015.

1. thunderfist2112

thunderfist2112 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Not sure if these have been posted before........
    http://blog.skylabdigital.com/howard-sterns-private-parts-film-test-posters-found-at-flea-market/
    Howard Stern’s “Private Parts” Film test posters found at Flea Market
    Posted on May 20, 2013
    I found these at a flea market a few years back. I think I paid ten bucks for them. They’re (apparently) poster ideas from the Paramount marketing department.

I’m a graphic designer but I was NOT involved in designing these.

They ended up using something like the one on the list.

I’m a huge Stern fan and this was quite a find for me. The movie’s been out for almost 20 years, so I’d guess they wouldn’t be pissed that I’m posting them.

Taking a look at them, they’re a mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly…

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like the first one where he looks like wonder woman.

3. bznick

bznick Hustling, Flowing, and Hating! Gold

Reputations:
    None of my pictures are airbrushed Robin..

4. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    anal

5. TeeDonkey

TeeDonkey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Im ashamed i ever thought this man was cool, voice of the working man....it was always about Howard.... :doh:

6. goldphoenix

goldphoenix Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Didn't they use some of these as the alternate soundtrack packaging? I wonder if anyone found the 24 Karat CD he said they put in one of the cases, or if this was as much fact as the shame of a life this movie was based on.

Nibbler likes this.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  8. BringBackJackie

BringBackJackie Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    In 1970, Gunky saw a picture of Joe Perry and something stirred.

[​IMG]

Nibbler likes this.
  9. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Did they put his face on the Ultimate Wariors body for these posters?

10. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    "It's a love story"

#free condoms

Nibbler and kingship like this.
  11. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    This is from a Howard History site

" On April 22, 1998, Brian from Minneapolis claims to have found the gold CD! However, it seems this call was a fake, as the CD case was not supposed to contain the actual gold CD, but a certificate to redeem in return for the gold CD."

Nibbler likes this.
  12. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    All that testing and the movie was handily out grossed by Mr. Beans Holiday and Soul Food

13. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  14. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Great find! :golfclap:

15. slab0meat

slab0meat negative creep

Reputations:
    Maybe I have it. Like a sucker, I have all the versions of the soundtrack CDs, but only one is open. Maybe one sealed one has it??? But I'm scared to open those, they must be worth hundreds at this point.

16. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Hundreds of cents.

Petal and Guacamole like this.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Nibbler, ElVee, Petal and 3 others like this.
  18. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    And I still enjoy the Mr. Bean movie. Private Parts, not so much.

Nibbler and rolltide like this.
  19. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    http://stethacantus.hubpages.com/hub/ultimatehowardsternprojectlist3

Released a week before the movie the album debuted at #1 on the album chart. It was also the fastest selling soundtrack in history according to Billboard Magazine. I went Platinum a week later. But what is a Stern album without some behind the scene drama? One recording artist who Howard refuses to refer to by name had agreed to submit a song to the album but just before the CD was ready to be pressed changed his mind and revoked the recording. Howard was forced at the last second to find an alternative recording. LL Cool J Submitted a song called "I Make My Own Rules" which he did with Dave Navarro, Chad Smith, and Flea. His record label refused to allow him to use his name on the album so it is blanked out. Much like what was done with the Private Parts paperback books, the soundtrack album was released in multiple covers. Aside from the standard cover there was four limited edition covers. The rarest one featured a nude Howard Stern with his private parts and nipples covered up by the hands of some women standing behind him. It was only made available to radio stations to give away as promotional prizes. One of the albums had a gold certificate that the person who found it could redeem for a solid gold CD. No one ever found it.

Private Parts was released to theaters March 7 1997 making $14 million and winning #1 at the box office. Disney had released the Tim Allen movie "Jungle to Jungle" the same weekend and claimed that Paramount had cheated by releasing the movie a day early as a preview in cities where Howard Stern's radio show could be heard and then including the preview profits as part of the weekend gross. If you just added the weekend gross [ Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ] then "Jungle to Jungle" would have come in first at the box office. A week later despite "Private Parts" getting rave reviews from critics grossed less than "Jungle to Jungle" which was getting poor reviews. The Tim Allen film would go on to make $18 million more than "Private Parts". Both movies quickly dropped out of the top 10. Since Private Parts had been predicted to gross more than $100 million but barely grossed $41 million it was considered a flop by the media. Howard himself had predicted it would be the all time box office champ [ this would happen a year latter when "Titanic" grossed more than $1 billion ] but the movie did not even make that years top 10. [ in comparison the awful franchise killing "Batman & Robin" came in at #7 grossing over $102 million ]. But as far as Paramount was concerned the movie was a success as it only cost $20 million to make.

Howard himself tried to spin the movie as a success claiming that although it was released by Paramount it had been produced as a low budget movie by the independent studio Rysher, and for an independent movie $41 million was a huge success. But in terms of his listeners the movie far underperformed. At the time Howard had about 10 Million listeners. The average movie ticket then cost $8. That should have meant that if every listener saw the movie once it should have grossed $80 million. And take into account that many of the listeners who went to see Private Parts saw it more than once and that a good portion of the people who did see the movie were not listeners of his radio show [ about a quarter of them lived in areas where the show was not yet syndicated ] and you have an estimated 6 - 9% of Howard's listeners bothering to see the movie. [ somewhere around 90,000 of his 10 million listeners who bought 250,000 tickets, or about 1 out of 4 of the tickets that sold being bought by a Stern fan, many who were seeing the film more than once ]. One possible explanation for this was that Private Parts was being marketed as a story about following your dreams and as a love story between Howard and his then wife Alison. Most of Howard's listeners wanted a raunchy X rated movie and probably did not feel like spending the $8 on a feel good movie. As was later proven when George Bush won a second term in office despite Howard strongly supporting John Kerry, just because Howard asks his listeners to do something does not mean they will all do it.

:lol:

20. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    In Stern land, nothing is real.

Sounds like they never actually made a gold CD and when they had a shill call in claiming to get it, he messed up and thought he was supposed to act like he had the gold CD and not a certificate.

Or they did make a gold CD and Howard's heritage literally wouldn't allow even that small amount of gold to leave his possession and so he kept it and had a dedicated fan agree to call in and claim he got it and in exchange he was given an autographed pic of Howard's good side.

Nibbler and kingship like this.