Question for HVAC guys (re: Chimney Manor)

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Mr Pink, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    During the Artie-rents-a-helicopter saga, Artie mentions sleeping-in late at Howie's house and 'turning the AC down to 50 degrees' in his room.

Do some of the multimillion dollar mansions have temperature control on a room-by-room basis---like a hotel room??

I come from the construction field but not from that expensive of homes.

2. Thedomina

Thedomina Unfriendly

Reputations:
    A house that size would normally have a minimum of 5 or 6 zones....I remember Howard's old house with Alison had 5. I could see him giving each room it's own ac. If you can afford it, and he can, why not?

3. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Depends on the house. A lot of large construction has bedroom suites, not rooms. So a bedroom may have a bathroom, small hallway, walk in closet, dressing room, powder room, etc. ac control is pretty simple, all you need is a thermostat and some control valves.

I wouldn't doubt that a home the size of Howard's has temperature control in some, if not all individual suites. He probably has all of his controls tied into a bms (building management system) responsible for hvac, power, water, heat, etc. may even be running a. Cogen to save money.

The home is so voluminous that it requires huge air handler units. We're talking commercial scale, which typically come with all the I/o needed to support such features.

Long story short, I'd say Ya, this is probably true

4. Beth143nacho

Reputations:
    My house (6,000 sq ft) has 6 zones and could easily hold another 2. His is almost 5-10x the size of mine, iirc. He's well into the commercial level of equipment

5. Roland Schwinn

Roland Schwinn *Likes reported as of October 14, 2016 Gold

Reputations:

I couldn't even imagine what his fucking electric bill in those mansions is!

reno likes this.
  6. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    I have a 6 room place and I have two zones

7. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    That's pretty cool. It makes sense for moderate sized homes to have their own zones. I guess you could have separate zones on a couple large units or multiple smaller units that work independent of each other, right?

8. captbill

captbill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Some people in Palm Springs, California have monthly electric bills in the $10,000 range because the air condition their OUTDOOR tennis courts.

9. Roland Schwinn

Roland Schwinn *Likes reported as of October 14, 2016 Gold

Reputations:
    Wow!

10. Beth143nacho

Reputations:
    Yeah. At that scale, though, the air handler is pretty dumb. It simply takes air in from the outside (makeup air), pumps it to the rooms (supply air) and sucks it back (return air). During the ride back, some air is jettisoned to the outside (exhaust) via some exhaust fans. Makeup + supply = return + exhaust. It also reclaims heat energy from the exhaust to preheat the makeup, filters and humidifies the supply air.

The supply and return ducte are huge arteries that essentially make a huge loop going from one side of the machine (supply side) through a path through the building and back to the other end of the unit (return). Near the end of the loop is a pressure restriction device of some sort (more on that later).

There are individual branches that come off of the supply duct, through a control valve and into the room. There are return grilles in that space that travel to the return duct via another branch. There are as many branches as there are zones.

The pressure restriction device serves to establish the path of least resistance through the zones, otherwise the air would just circulate through the main ducts.

Anyway, the control valves / dampers on each branch are what controls the room, not the air handler. There's either a dedicated control circuit going from a controller in the damper to the local thermostat or the I/o signals are run to a central management system that controls then all. With howard it's likely the latter, but with local thermostats that can relay a set point to the controller.

CrucifiedAGT and Mr Pink like this.
  11. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
    If your house has zones, then fuck you.

12. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    cold air makes nipples hard

reno, kingship, codeine and 1 other person like this.
  13. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    I have no AC, no zones and my furnace was manufactured in 1965.

:bigcry:

Tyrus, reno, Head Censor and 4 others like this.
  14. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    You barbarian!

JameGumb likes this.
  15. Hamster

Hamster Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think Artie was exaggerating for effect...

16. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
  17. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    get a portable AC for your bedroom those things work great for houses like yours

18. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    A modern house that big will typically have a scaled-down industrial system. A cooling tower outside, chiller (usually enclosed in a mechanical room) and water-source heat pumps in the ceiling or wall of each zone. It's not uncommon for each bedroom to be it's own zone.

This appears to be the white rectangle behind the pool house - since there's no obvious duct work coming off of it to the house, it's probably a water-source heat pump system with the piping along the ground. If the outdoor section was just a large condenser, you would have too long a run to get the liquid refrigerant across the house (there would be several more units visible outside) or you'd need a large room dedicated to a complicated air handling system.

CrucifiedAGT and Mr Pink like this.
  19. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    I was thinking about that last summer when we had that hot spell, there's usually only a few days a year that I need it. The west side of the house has large windows and as long as the breeze is coming off the Pacific it stays comfortable.

JameGumb likes this.
  20. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    But are your faucets Moen?