Question for Married Men of the Shed: Do Your Wives Work?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by peterfonda, Mar 4, 2015.

1. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My wife bitches and complains about me a lot. Her latest complaint is that I don't earn enough money to support our family (us, and our four kids), requiring her to work full time out of the house. She tells me that "a lot" of her friends don't work.

Full disclosure: I am a practicing lawyer and make a low six-figure salary (eight, if you include the digits in the "cents" column). But life in the NYC-Long Island area can be very expensive, and her salary as a teacher in the NYC public school system is necessary to make ends meet. NY is one of the highest-taxed states in the country. Between local, state and federal taxes, we're lucky to come home with 55-60% of our yearly salaries.

The spouses of all my male friends all hold full-time jobs outside the home. In fact, some of the wives outearn their husbands by a substantial amount.

Question: Do your wives work? And if they do, is it because they choose to work or is it because your family needs the second income? And are they happy about it? I just need to know if I'm alone out here.

PI Nate, queerface, SomerSky and 2 others like this.
  2. slab0meat

slab0meat negative creep

Reputations:
    She works. She chooses to, partly to maintain the lifestyle and not have to pinch pennies. She makes a lot more than me, which is great!

3. synch22

synch22 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    yes she does, I don't. 5 years and counting... OP your wife sounds like a pia.
    every situation is different , if you need 2 earners you need it..period!

I plan on going back in another year or 2 once the youngest is in K. But it will need to be flexible.

4. Beer Chugger

Beer Chugger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Self employed but doesn't make the equivalent of a full time job

5. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    Fuck this wives shit! Let's fuck some whores!

6. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    yes. teacher and let me tell you about the take home :jj:

7. Boomer

Boomer Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Reputations:
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

AmishGirl, smichal and LawyerLarry like this.
  8. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yep, she's a CPA. She's Japanese too... I know, shocking right?

9. Wesmantooth

Reputations:
    dude you are a team. at least you should be and her attitude is fucking terrible. so what if her friends don't work wtf does that have to do w your family and your finances. She should want to help you and the family out however she can and feel good about doing it instead of resentful.

listen marriage is tough but having a partner that doesn't appreciate you is fucked.

10. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    If you have young kids she shouldn't work, they should be home schooled and you should cut whatever corners necessary to make it happen. Anyone who sends their kids to public school or daycare is insane

PI Nate likes this.
  11. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes
    Once my kids were in school all day I told her to get back to work or learn how to be a handyman because you aren't gonna sit around all day. I've been working for 35 years when do I get to take 6-7 years off?
    Stay at home moms are the worst. They act like their lives are so challenging and full yet all my buddies have to work their asses off all weekend doing laundry, cleaning etc because "their wives have been doing it all week and are exhausted"
    Bullshit

12. Mlaw

Reputations:
    If she wants to stay home, sit down and make it work financially. You can absolutely make it happen, but she has to own the financial sacrifices. Your kids will be better for it

PI Nate and John Mahlin like this.
  13. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well put. I think you said what the rest of us were thinking. I salute you, sir. :up:

14. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...no longer married but in 15 years and 5 kids my ex never worked. she bitched about NOT being able to work, i didnt want her to and i made enough money. i think a part time job for a woman whos a mother is good for her head tho, its not easy being a full time mom so going to work is like a break from routine. ny is my home state but i left before i became a tax payer, i dont think id put up with paying all the taxes you guys pay, not for a new york minute.

[​IMG]

15. Wesmantooth

Reputations:
    wtf is this nonsense? my public school district is one of the best in the country I would be insane to not send my kids there. oh yea you are right I should pay more for way less...yea thats the ticket :lmao:

16. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    it depends on what you mean by work,

17. synch22

synch22 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    stay at home dad here, love when I see the stay at home moms take their kids to school at 9 and they have yet to clean themselves up or shower.
    life ain't that hard sheesh. My wife has.done some drop offs and she always comments on the same thing.

I am in a pretty nice area, another thing I've observed is the moms pretty much play high school all over again. Cliques, talking shit on each other, trying.to out do the next. It's silly

18. Mlaw

Reputations:
    daycare workers make minimum wage, get no benefits and are generally transient, so children are poorly cared for and subjected to new faces and styles on a regular basis. As for public schools, they suck, period

PI Nate likes this.
  19. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My wife supported us for 20 years after the accident. Now she's having med issues though

20. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Currently she doesn't but will go back when the youngest goes to pre-school in a year and a half.