Question For Sirius Online Subscribers

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by TelegramSam, Aug 11, 2013.

1. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I've only had a lifetime sub for a few years now, and they took online from us. Anyway, with this new 24/7 Jason Ellis Channel and Art Bell coming back, I'm thinking about signing back up to have acess to the podcasts and streaming. Here is my question, though: the last time I had Sirius online, they still had that old non-Flash player that was just streaming audio. I use Linux and my mp3 player is an iRiver, so first off have people been able to use the new app with Mac or Linux (or is it actually a windows program now?) and what format are the podcasts in, .mp3 or some type of DRM? I don't want to call them and ask because their customer service are some of the biggest non-account cancelling scam artists I've ever dealt with.

2. Bababaloney

Bababaloney Fudge Packer Banned User

Reputations:
    I don't know what formats they're in but I've had no problem downloading the On Demand content on to my Galaxy Tab, phone or Windows 7 desktop.

3. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    The backslash download WebTV tube monitor transmits the megabits through a worldwide satellite system which they're using against us.

The Atari 2600 modem with a BAUD rate of 9200 should decrypt the passcodes needed to enter the Twitter chatroom through a series of Zunes and Surfaces with many megapixels to spare.

4. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Mother fucker, I'm actually being serious. A lot of these services lock you into DRM, which neither my PC nor phone/mp3 player can deal with. Thanks to Bababaloney for the answer, but I'm still not sure because Android supports DRM that regular Linux doesn't, and Windows 7 of course is DRM friendly, so I'm still not positive.

EDIT: Okay, I'll make myself a little clearer. What extension do the podcasts end in, .mp3 or something else? Or can they only be played with the app (i.e. you can't fire up mplayer or xmms and listen to them?). Also, can you use the app without flash or downloading a .exe?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  5. OCDlikeaMF

OCDlikeaMF Active Member

Reputations:
    I use linux, latest chrome browser and yes I use sirius online.....i think chrome has a extension that detects the podcasts and streams.......

6. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    I believe you have to use the app to listen to them. I know that's the case with the phone app, not sure about a computer.

7. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Thanks, Scott, that means it's a no go for my mp3 player (and my phone is an old Palm with PalmOS so a no to that also). I'm just glad I found out before I ordered, because those bastards fight tooth and nail to stop you from cancelling. Someone asked in the Art Bell forum about that too, so I'll be sure to post this there. It amazes me they are that worried they are going to lose revenue from people trading Jason Ellis or Jay Thomas .mp3's that they are willing to turn off customers who still use regular mp3 players.

8. Kilroy

Kilroy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is it still $12.99 for the online only streaming? Or have they tried to fuck over those subscribers too with a rate increase?

9. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    Wh Wha What is he trying to say, Robin?

10. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    get it together, faggot

11. Caster Fly

Caster Fly New Member Banned User

Reputations:

The only way for me to access the online content now is with Google chrome. The on demand also now works with Mac.

12. ShutupMoron

ShutupMoron Unknown Member VIP

Reputations:
    I have a LT Sirius sub with LT BOXM and I still have access to the new OnDemand system from my PC. You cannot download content to your PC. The download feature is only available if you're using one of the supported smartphone apps.

In order for me to use the iPhone or other supported smartphone app I would have to pay an additional $3.50 per month for the premium stream.

13. slab0meat

slab0meat negative creep

Reputations:
    Online was NOT taken away from lifetimers

14. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hey guys I have a lifetime that I rarely use. Has anybody ever sold there's?

15. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Let me clarify what I meant by that: The old "Listen Online" option was taken away from us, and you were forced to migrate to the OnDemand app. I don't use Flash, and my phone doesn't support it anyway (I was able to stream the old w32 stream with PalmOS). On Demand means jack to me unless I can get access to the raw sound files themselves.

EDIT: Also, we cannot sign up for The Best of XM or the full On Demand service without buying a new plan also, or at least I was told that about six months ago. So no O&A or other XM shows either.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  16. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    i used to record shows with Total Recorder.

17. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The SiriusXm app is a total piece of shit. Crashes constantly. Randomly will "rewind" the stream (don't know how else to describe it). Simply doesn't work in 3G. No way to rewind.

While apps like Pandora & IheartRadio work flawlessly it figures Sirius would be light years behind and not give a shit

18. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I'm too lazy for that, I'll just stick to regular radio and podcasts. I was recording Ellis for awhile, and then I just got to the point where it wasn't worth it. I get to hear him right now because I'm working from home 3 days a week, but the two shows I like are Ellis and Jay Thomas and it's a bitch to have them head to head (but this new Ellis channel got me interested in a full sub again, if I could get podcasts).

19. Bethstampon

Bethstampon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Brilliant! JPEG me a Lotus Note with these instructions for OS2 Warp please?

20. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    OS2 was actually a pretty damned good OS, it still lives on in server form as AIX. I love how not using flash and just wanting to get access to the actual data (like we used to) is apparently Byzantine tech geek to some people.