RadarOnline: "Gregg ‘Opie’ Hughes: Howard Stern ‘Doesn’t Give A -- About His Radio Sh

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by EmptyArtieChair, Aug 8, 2013.

1. EmptyArtieChair

EmptyArtieChair Member

Reputations:
    Gregg ‘Opie’ Hughes: Howard Stern ‘Doesn’t Give A (Bleep) About His Radio Show Anymore!’

In the latest salvo in one of radio’s most vicious rivalries, theOpie & Anthony show‘s Gregg “Opie” Hughes Thursday called out fellow SiriusXM personality Howard Stern for his reduced schedule of two-and three-day workweeks, and rerun-laden programming, saying that the King of All Media “doesn’t give a f*** about his radio show” anymore.

The rant came after Hughes and co-host Anthony Cumia were bemoaning studio-related problems, with Opie grousing that Stern’s wing of the company’s New York City compound is undergoing a “major remodeling” despite the fact that “he doesn’t even do radio shows anymore!”
    Co-host Jim Norton then mentioned that Stern’s organization has hired an efficiency expert (later identified as chief operating officer Marci Turk to streamline the show.

“The king is panicking, the king is panicking!” Opie said. “Hire me to be the efficiency expert over there and I’ll tell you what needs to be done: He has to do radio shows!

“He could blame everyone around him, he can blame his staff, he could fire people, he could bring in efficiency experts, but in the end, the guy’s got to do radio shows. I’ve heard from his audience, they don’t want to hear reruns anymore … you gotta f***ing do radio shows, period.”
    With Stern’s reduced live on-air schedule, his two channels on [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Sirius[/FONT] often air week-long, themed compilations, a tactic Opie said has run its’ course.[/FONT]

“Great reruns, but it doesn’t matter anymore — [fans] don’t care, they don’t want to hear the show repackaged over and over again. They take the same bits, and they put a package around, and they think their hardcore fans won’t notice.

“The guy HAS to do radio shows. Everyone knows what needs to be done — he needs more content.”

As Stern himself has acknowledged he does less live shows during the summer — two days a week — due to his judging gig on NBC’s America’s Got Talent, on-air personality Sam Roberts noted that “there are a significantly more [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]episodes[/FONT] of America’s Got Talent than there are of the Stern show” during the year’s hottest months.
    [/FONT]

Opie — who conceded there’s a bit of personal jealously in Stern’s ability to command a high-paid gig on a network show — discounted the NBC primetime hit as an updated version of The Gong Show “with a little more class” and “a little more shine.

“Instead of hitting that gong, they hit that stupid x!” he said. “Don’t make believe it’s some amazing TV show— you’re a judge on a gong show!”
    Cumia said that despite Stern’s ascent into radio’s stratosphere as the edgiest of the shock jocks, he believes the Private Parts star “always, always, always” strived to be accepted in the mainstream, and his toned down, family-friendly persona on the NBC show confirms as much.

“He came off anti-establishment, anti-Hollywood, but every opportunity he got to so something like that, he jumped on,” Cumia said. “He wanted to be the TV guy — the guy that was accepted radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/01/howard-stern-apologizes-to-lena-dunham-for-little-fat-chick-remark/ by mainstream America — and now he is!”

Watch the [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]video[/FONT] on RadarOnline.com (Warning: Contains explicit language)[/FONT]

The bad blood between the shows goes back to the late 1990s, when both programs were under the umbrella of Infinity [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Broadcasting[/FONT]. Stern, who famously battled the FCC for years fighting for his own free speech, used his influence to implement a gag order on the rival show after they ran afoul of him.
    [/FONT]

Both The Howard Stern Show and the Opie & Anthony show air weekdays on SiriusXM at 6 am ET.

SOURCE:
    http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/08/opie-anthony-howard-stern-gregg-hughes/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. AlPachinosBaby

AlPachinosBaby Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    “The king is panicking, the king is panicking!” Opie said. “Hire me to be the efficiency expert over there and I’ll tell you what needs to be done: He has to do radio shows!

Ladies and Gentlemen, the voice of reason, Gregg "Opie" Hughes.

3. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
  4. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Someone here writes for RadarOnline. Out yourself!

5. DaBUU

DaBUU Active Member

Reputations:
    Yup Chuk, who are you Radar Onliner?

6. BooeyBanana

BooeyBanana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yay! :jumpclap::jumpclap::jumpclap: Glad to see people finally putting Wiggy in his place, in public. Nice to see some justice being done.......

7. David999

David999 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  8. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I believe it is Jon Hein Is God.

9. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hmm, good point. He does always have the news clips first, etc. I think you are right. And I would guess the OP is a mult of his?

10. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    Bobo you're on the air.

Morning Horward, did you hear what Opie and Anthony said about you and AGT?

I did hear that and we have some great acts this year on America's Got Talent. Did you see the dance troupe and the magician, Robin?

(Long pause....cat noises) Yes, they were great.

Do we need to take a break, Fred?

11. RobinsBedSores

RobinsBedSores VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Why no plug for Dawg's in that "article"?

12. EmptyArtieChair

EmptyArtieChair Member

Reputations:
    Nope. Sorry to disappoint.

13. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If he even addresses it Monday(or whenever the hell he comes back), he will say the following: "Robin, 2 of my shows a week are worth more than 100 of their shows, now bring Joan Rivers in".

14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Howard realized his radio audience hates him and especially his "evolution". AGT and other projects will be his attempt to jump to a lifeboat of completely new fans who are not listeners, much like some people stick with an old girlfriend/boyfriend while starting to see others before they cut the cord completely. It's a security thing.

Btw, AGT could not be a phonier piece of shit. The old country singer guy who had been in the charts in the 90's obviouisly tried to throw it and the voters still put him through. Howard's reaction to his bombing could not have sounded faker. This could be a major embarrassment if for some reason they can't fake the voting results. Perhaps next round he'll get up and tell racist jokes.

15. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    weird I wrote those exact words yesterday. Hi Opie :hat:

'i know dude its an incredible decline from what once was. hard to believe he was that dude from late 80 90's who you would root on as he told the establishment and hollywood to fuck itself'

16. Nick Manning

Nick Manning Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  17. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Even that is overstating it at this point. She say "two days some weeks"

18. DaBUU

DaBUU Active Member

Reputations:
    I bet Opie and Anthony post on here

19. RobinsBedSores

RobinsBedSores VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Opie does, Ant doesn't. I know that Sam Roberts is here.

20. horsefacebetho

horsefacebetho Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If someone here does write for Radar Online, please do a story on his wig, his in laws (cough cough), if and why his daughters avoid him and LOVE their mother, what the fuck is wrong with Robin and why he really bought a house in Florida (no state income tax) #principle residence