News Ransomware was a 24 million dollar business last year

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LaserT, Apr 8, 2016.

1. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    I can't fix the big font. :facepalm:..:mad:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/victims-paid-more-24-million-222700088.html

The US Departments of Justice (DOJ) and Homeland Security (DHS) last week provided new insights into the impact of ransomware and cyberattacks on public institutions and the public.

Ransomware is a type of computer virus that scrambles its victim's files and demands a ransom in exchange for the code to restore them. The threat has become prominent in recent years as schools, hospitals, and even police departments have had to pay up to free their files.

Last December, US Sen. Tom Carper (D-Delaware), a member of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, asked the DOJ and DHS what the government was doing to fight ransomware and how badly the feds had been hit.

The DOJ and DHS responses, released last week, shed light on US authorities' struggles with the viruses.

The DOJ revealed that the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) had received nearly 7,700 public complaints regarding ransomware since 2005, totaling $57.6 million in damages. Those damages include ransoms paid — generally $200 to $10,000, according to the FBI — as well as costs incurred in dealing with the attack and estimated value of data lost.

In 2015 alone, victims paid over $24 million across nearly 2,500 cases reported to the IC3.

Government agencies have also been hit

But those are incidents reported by the public at large.

In its letter, the DHS noted that its National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center (NCCIC) had initiated or received 321 reports of ransomware-related activity affecting 29 different federal agencies since June 2015. The 321 reports include attempted infections and infections that were dealt with by the agencies' internal security teams.

2. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
  3. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Gold

Reputations:
    DrivenByDemons likes this.
  4. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:

:nocheer:

DrivenByDemons and Mr Sinister like this.
  5. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Gold

Reputations:

jeez i thought id be long gone by the time you seen that :jj:

Gusbuss, eliasbboy and Anfkid like this.
  6. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    I saw this thread and for some strange reason it caught my attention.:jj:

The real pisser is that I READ Dbd's original thread! I just didn't pay enough attention or really understood it for what it was.

We got hit as a business with minimal employees affected. I couldn't imagine a small office with numerous computers, or worse, a personal computer. The average Joe isn't going to be able to pay the ransom, and it you get caught by this without safe backups, there is NO other way. The FBI said almost the exact same thing.

For the record, we had 2 forms of backup consisting of Carbonite and external hard drives, ZoneAlarm firewall and Antivirus both updated and running. I've since read up an realized how shitty ZoneAlarm is.

The HD was connected and therefore encrypted, and Carbonite for some reason had not been running and my dad never noticed.

We now switched our antivirus to Kaspersky, I am using 3 external HD's for backup, keeping two unattached at all times and one in a different location.

One saying I read over and over researching first a solution to our problem, and then how to better prepare my shit in the future, was this:

Data does not exist unless it is in three locations.

Your original data, and two backups. At a minimum. Keep in separate places. Picture a house fire. If your backups are in the house, you'd lose everything. Keep one in your work desk, and rotate.

7. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Gold

Reputations:

your entire situation made me think what would happen to my company should we get hit with this and im pretty confident we would be completely fucked :jj:

So far ive done nothing to fix this either

8. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    :spit:

Mr Sinister likes this.
  9. SuperFarts

SuperFarts Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Elias, could you or do you think it would be of any benefit to create a thread detailing what happened to you and how others may be able to avoid it, if at all?

10. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Gold

Reputations:

Ive been worried about this kind of shit for 10 years 2 :jj::jj:

We just bought a new building im gonna try and get everything squared away when we move in

11. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    If people would just do a routine backup and use Acronis to image your drive to restore your OS, things like this would only be a minor setback. But no, people leave their important files on their computer and brag, well my computer is 10 years old and still works :facepalm:

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/

propagandhi and stash like this.
  12. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    Jesus titsy!
    [​IMG]

13. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    I had two threads about the events, but if needed I'd be happy to.

Here's two posts that pretty much explained the big picture:

it's an international deal. If you Google locky virus it's pretty scary. The creator of the virus made a real beauty.

For anyone unfamiliar, like I was this morning, the locky virus encrypts your files. It renames them with a ". locky" extension. Included in the infected folder is a text file with instructions. Literally a ransom note.

You are directed to a site on the Tor network, and along with your personal pin number, you can pay, in untraceable bitcoins, for the decryption key/process.

Every infected computer has a specific pin, or id number. So if I had 2 infected computers I would have to pay TWICE, not once and then share the decrypt key.

It's unbreakable encryption, unless you have the key. There is NO fix on a software side. You replace the infected files with a backup, or pay. That's it.

One story talked about a hospital that had to pay $17,000 to get their files back.

We use an estimating program to view, measure, and draw on digital blueprints, mostly in pdf formats.

When a new job comes up for us to look at, the architects will send us links to the drawings, and we download them into a folder to view in our estimating program.

These are located on various sites including Dropbox, Google Drive, or internal ftp servers. Every company is different.

The problem was in a job my father downloaded today. The job had multiple folders, and contained multiple file types. Pdfs, Word docs, jpgs, etc.

The download came all zipped together. About 300mb worth. It was unzipped to my dad's hard drive, and then opened by the estimating software.

We gave to go page by page, taking notes as we go. The program does not show filetypes as you progress. The drawing list will read "Structural 1.1", but not show the pdf extention.

As my dad progressed thru the project, clicking on one page, then another, and so on, he eventually clicked on what turned out to be a word document. The estimating program then tried launching Microsoft Word, and my dad started to get error messages. He eventually asked me to take a look.

When I tried to go back and look at a document he just viewed moments ago, it said "File not detected, please locate in Explorer".

I opened the folder in Explorer and the Pdfs had been replaced with the ".locky" files.

It was that fast.

14. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

LaserT likes this.
  15. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
  16. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
  17. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    Is it me, or are those articles almost a play by play recipe on how create a ransom ware business model? :jj:

They explain the exploits you can use, the delivery system, and just how profitable it can be.

Thanks Internet! No chance more nitwits will copy that idea! :lo5:

DrivenByDemons and LaserT like this.
  18. LaserT

Reputations:
    Was thinking the same thing as I was reading it.

19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    LaserT likes this.
  20. LaserT

Reputations:
    Didn't even notice when I wrote that. Hey c'mon, the M and N are close on the keyboard. :snicker:

SouthernListen and stash like this.