Politics RAW VIDEO: #BlackLivesMatter Activists disrupt rally featuring Sen. Bernie Sanders

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 8, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:

Bernie Sanders leaves Seattle stage after event disrupted by Black Lives Matter protesters

A planned speech in Seattle by presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders celebrating the anniversary of Social Security and Medicare was scuttled Saturday after protesters from a Black Lives Matter chapter took the stage and demanded that the crowd hold Sanders “accountable” for not doing enough, in their view, to address police brutality and other issues on the group’s agenda.

Sanders, who has emerged as the leading alternative to Hillary Rodham Clinton for the Democratic nomination, was the final speaker scheduled on a long program. Shortly after the senator from Vermont started speaking, a small group of protesters took the microphone, shared a series of local grievances with the crowd, including school disparities and gentrification in Seattle, and then asked for a period of silence to commemorate the one-year anniversary of Michael Brown being shot and killed during a confrontation with a police officer in Ferguson, Mo.

Organizers allowed the period of silence, as some in the large crowd booed and shouted for the protesters to leave the stage. Afterward, Marissa Janae Johnson, who identified herself as a leader of the Black Lives Matter chapter in Seattle, asked the crowd to “join us now in holding Bernie Sanders accountable for his actions.” She motioned for Sanders to join her at the microphone.

After several minutes of frantic conversations, Sanders left the stage and greeted people in the large crowd who had turned out to see him. Many chanted his name.

The tense scene, which was streamed live by a Seattle television station, was reminiscent of one July 18 in Phoenix, when a larger group of Black Lives Matter activists disrupted a Democratic presidential forum at the liberal Netroots Nation gathering that featured both Sanders and former Maryland governor Martin O’Malley.

At the Netroots event, both O’Malley and Sanders were able to continue speaking, though neither filled their allotted times.

At Saturday’s event, Johnson noted that O’Malley had since released a plan on criminal justice, which calls for several policing reforms, including widespread use of body cameras.

Though Sanders has not formally released a similar plan, he has been speaking out about policing issues, including during an appearance last month before a gathering in Louisiana of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, one of the nation’s oldest civil rights organizations. In that speech, he called for the “demilitarization” of police forces, an end to privately run prisons and an effort to address the “overincarceration” of nonviolent offenders.

As Sanders left the event in Seattle on Saturday, he told reporters that he found the situation "unfortunate."

“I am disappointed that two people disrupted a rally attended by thousands at which I was invited to speak about fighting to protect Social Security and Medicare," he later said in a statement. "I was especially disappointed because on criminal justice reform and the need to fight racism there is no other candidate for president who will fight harder than me.”

Sanders was scheduled to appear later Saturday at a large-scale rally in Seattle organized by his campaign. He is in the midst of a three-day swing on the West Coast, with stops also scheduled in Portland and Los Angeles.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-disrupted-by-black-lives-matter-protesters/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...they havent had enough mike brown drama.

3. dawg

Reputations:
    I have to admit, our country is making me very sad right now.

4. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Was this in a movie theater?

5. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
  6. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...this happened in seattle and the organizers maybe didnt organize it very well. he speaking tonight out at the uw campus maybe they will have more security.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  7. dawg

Reputations:
    Bernie is an old man, he doesn’t deserve to be pushed around, where the fuck were the cops?

8. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    guy with a camera on a stick......genius

Notfunorfunny likes this.
  9. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    That bitch who keeps throwing her hand around should be dropped down an elevator shaft.

10. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    i also like the fedora

11. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...i think what those 2 women did was more disrespectful than any trump comment. i agree bernie got treated poorly and for no good reason. yes the cops should have been there thats why i say the organizers fucked up.

12. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

Poor bastard tries to appear, in a way that is not totally isolated...rolling with military type security...and this is what he gets

Asshole bitches

13. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Correction, Reggies looking for trouble.

Not a single one of them could spell 'Activist' let alone 'Ask' or 'Specific'.
    If they want people to believe that black lives matter, perhaps they ought to learn how to behave in public.
    The truth is black lives don't matter to black people.

14. lastlaugh

lastlaugh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What were they protesting?

TeeDonkey likes this.
  15. God

God Well-Known Member

Reputations:

John Sterling likes this.
  16. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Looks like open mike nite lol

17. dawg

Reputations:
    I guess we could look for news reports.

18. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They are protesting against a man who fought for the rights of African Americans and marched with MLK?

19. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was waiting for a baaaa baaaa booooo e

20. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Not a good way to win hearts and minds, ladies.