Reagan Advisor: Dumb Teabaggers Had Their Chance With Goldwater;

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Ving, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Reagan Advisor Bruce Bartlett: Dumb Teabaggers Had Their Chance With Goldwater; "Stupid To Support Ideas That Cannot Win"

Reagan Advisor Bruce Bartlett appeared on MSNBC's The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell Wednesday night to scold Tea Party Republicans and Donald Trump supporters, saying the Republican presidential candidate would lose in a landslide like Barry Goldwater.

"So I view that as the possible outcome of this election, if a Donald Trump were to get the nomination. I don't think there's any chance he would win. I think he'd lose in a landslide," Bartlett predicted.

Bartlett reprimand conservatives, "little old ladies in tennis shoes," saying they had their chance and lost and should sit down because their "stupid ideas" "can not win."

"I'm thinking about 1964," Bartlett said. "A year in which the moderates were defeated, the tea party of the day, the John Birch society and people of that sort, took control of the Republican convention and nominated a hard-core libertarian, Barry Goldwater, who at that time was probably best known for having voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the result of that was that he lost in a landslide."

"We gave you your candidate, the perfect candidate, the guy you wanted, and we gave you your chance, and we supported him, and he, he lost," Bartlett reprimanded. "Therefore, your ideas can not win. As much as we might even support those ideas, it's stupid to support ideas that cannot win."

LAWRENCE O'DONNELL: Joining us now, Bruce Bartlett, former domestic policy adviser to Ronald Reagan, former deputy assistant for economic policy under George W. Bush. Bruce Bartlett, you have the floor, make your case to moderate Republicans that they should all vote for the least moderate candidate, voice in the field.

BRUCE BARTLETT: Well basically, I'm thinking about 1964. A year in which the moderates were defeated, the tea party of the day, the John Birch society and people of that sort, took control of the Republican convention and nominated a hard-core libertarian, Barry Goldwater, who at that time was probably best known for having voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the result of that was that he lost in a landslide -- one of the great landslides in history.

And the result of that was that the moderates were then able to pick up the pieces of the smashed Republican party and say to the conservatives, the tea party, the little old ladies in tennis shoes, we gave you your candidate, the perfect candidate, the guy you wanted, and we gave you your chance, and we supported him, and he, he lost. Therefore, your ideas can not win. As much as we might even support those ideas, it's stupid to support ideas that cannot win.

The result of that was that Richard Nixon, by the standards of that time, quite a moderate, certainly governed virtually as a liberal was able to pick up the pieces and win in 1968 and again in 1972 when Gerald Ford governed in the same moderate philosophy. So I view that as the possible outcome of this election, if a Donald Trump were to get the nomination. I don't think there's any chance he would win. I think he'd lose in a landslide.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...in.html#ooid=JmdG9xdjpkifSIXF3TElij9k1jpKDmmK

2. Tyler9258

Tyler9258 Old friends, old whiskey, old songs

Reputations:
    You mad

3. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    we can't go a day without a teabagger thread. Thanks Obama

JustLurking likes this.
  4. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:

lol

5. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well I guess trump should just drop out now if Bartlett says it's so. Wasn't so long ago that most people wouldn't have believed a lowdown scumbag black guy could win.