News Record Numbers Of Drivers Trading In Electric Cars For SUVs

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Apr 22, 2015.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Record Numbers Of Drivers Trading In Electric Cars For SUVs

Michael Bastasch
    3:01 PM 04/21/2015

[​IMG]

President Barack Obama promised to put a million more hybrid and electric cars on the road during his tenure, but new research shows drivers are trading them in to buy sports utility vehicles (SUVs).

The auto-research group Edmunds.com found that “22 percent of people who have traded in their hybrids and [electric vehicles] in 2015 bought a new SUV.”

This number is higher than the 18.8 percent that did the same last year, but it’s double the number that traded in their electric car for an SUV just three years ago. Edmunds.com reports that only “45 percent of this year’s hybrid and EV trade-ins have gone toward the purchase of another alternative fuel vehicle, down from just over 60 percent in 2012.”

“Never before have loyalty rates for alt-fuel vehicles fallen below 50 percent,” Edmunds notes.

In recent years, celebrities and politicians have been hyping electric car companies, like Teslas, as a hip way to help the environment and save money on gasoline. The Obama administration and some states even hand out generous tax credits to encourage people to buy EVs.

Buying an electric car can get you a $7,500 federal tax credit. It’s all part of Obama’s plan to get a million electric cars on the road by 2015. But electric cars were much more attractive when gas prices were high and customers could more easily rationalize paying more for an electric car. So far, Obama is still more than 800,000 electric cars short of meeting his 2015 goal.

“That’s the reality of the situation,” Jessica Caldwell, senior analyst at Edmunds.com, told Detroit News. “They have to push them out at those levels for people to be interested. It really seems like the cachet of EVs and hybrids has faded away.”

“EVs are just not selling; even hybrids and plug-ins are slow,” Caldwell said. “There’s some concern.”

Why are electric car sales faltering? One reason is that gas prices are far lower than they were in 2012. Edmunds notes that when gas prices were $4.67 per gallon in October 2012 it would take five5 years to make up the price difference between “a Toyota Camry LE Hybrid ($28,230) and a Toyota Camry LE ($24,460).”

With gas prices now at about $2.27 per gallon, Edmunds.com says it would take more than twice as long to save enough on gas to make up the price difference between a Camry LE and a Camry Hybrid.

Electric cars are also facing increased competition from more fuel-efficient vehicles. Aside from market forces, federal fuel efficiency standards have been forcing automakers to increase the miles per gallon of engines.

Electric cars also suffer from issues with battery life. Each hybrid or electric car battery can cost thousands, or even tens of thousands, of dollars, which only helps tip the economic scale in favor of traditional vehicles.

“It wouldn’t make sense to replace a 12-year old battery with a new battery that’s going to last 12 years, because chances are the car’s not going to last that long,” Eric Ibara with Kelley Blue Book told Detroit News.

smichal likes this.
  2. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hybrids are for douchebags, EV's are for bigger douchebags

3. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Americans are stupid and willingly behind the rest of the world. Nothing new here. :coffee:

4. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My gas powered rice rocket gets 35 MPG's. That's good enough for me. And my Harley gets 45 MPG's.

5. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

What brilliant part of the world do you live in where everyone drives electric cars?

I live in central Europe and travel all around, at most I'll see only a few Toyota or Honda Hybrids in a month. So I know they don't buy them here.

6. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    The USA should embrace diesel engines. That's the best compromise.

7. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  8. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    We left that "World" To start this far better one......Don't like it?
    Then move to France, Francois.............

9. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I did......6.7 Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel........

Stag, wigtropolis and Lemmy like this.
  10. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    [​IMG] another fail for the messiah

Head Censor and Ta Ta Toothy like this.
  11. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    22 percent..... woa slow down....

12. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Those batteries are about the least earth friendly thing there is. If you really care about the environment you go out and buy a USED 4 cylinder car that gets great gas mileage. It has a way smaller impact than buying a new car filled with half of Afghanistan's lithium in its battery.

13. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    1. Some of them are probably trading in hybrid SUVs.

2. The term "SUV" isn't what it once was. The biggest segment growth today is in compact and subcompact crossovers, which also get pretty good gas mileage. Getting 5-10 mpg more in a complex and expensive hybrid isn't as much of a gain over a 30mpg vehicle as a 20 mpg one. They'd never make the money back in fuel savings, and the environmental impact of batteries and charging from coal-fed electricity means they're not motivated to buy the hybrids.

[​IMG]Mazda CX-5 26 city, 32 highway

[​IMG]Honda CR-V 27 city, 34 highway

[​IMG]Chevy Trax subcompact crossover, 26 city, 34 highway

MrPACS likes this.
  14. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy The sea refuses no river. Gold

Reputations:
    Blah blah blah....hybrid....blah blah blah. Who cares? Those are some nice legs. :D

[​IMG]

15. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:

XaltedSmoke and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  16. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wee. US #1 in income gap, incarcerations, unhealthy diets. :thumbup2:

17. Vettesetter

Vettesetter Active Member

Reputations:
    Many years ago I saw a study when the hybrid craze started cause of the high gas prices. It looked at the full cycle of the automobiles from the start of manufacturing to disposal. It showed that the Prius has a more negative environmental impact than the C6 Corvette Z06.

Mainly it is due to what has to be done to dispose of the batteries.

Shithead and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  18. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Whatever. I'm loading up on APA, MDU and SLB. Simple supply and demand: once the markets figure out how to integrate North Dakota and Canadian sands into the supply chain, the fact that the Saudis are continuing to essentially sell as loss leaders won't matter and prices will go back up. We will be back to $5.00 gas in 12 months (at least here in California), and suddenly the small cars won't seem so bad. Personally, I not only don't give a shit if someone wants to throw $120 into a gas tank so they can drive around in a bigger vehicle, I hope they do so as it only makes my portfolio even bigger.

19. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits VIP

Reputations:
    I saw driving a Volt the other day, it was like seeing a DeLorean which I also saw the other weekend.

20. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    Slow as fuck though.