Remember, it's called Blueprint Reading, not Blueprint Looking.

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Daveindiego, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    Read the General Notes!! :c

Not much is as satisfying as being able to point out to another man that you did the job correctly according to the blueprint.

And don't forget the 6 P's Principle. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

2. Ridic Too2

Ridic Too2 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Ummmmm...

3. Splash

Splash Huge Member VIP

Reputations:
    This nigga speaks the truth

4. max rockatansky

max rockatansky I'm just here for the gasoline Gold

Reputations:
    I wish those fucks over at the metal fabricators could read blueprints. They drilled half the holes in the wrong place. It is going to cost me at least 8hrs X 3 guys. Fuckers

5. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    Negrist

6. Splash

Splash Huge Member VIP

Reputations:
    Bump

7. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    prints cover your ass. I've had shit redone for free because the prints were not read correctly. Dave is a smrt man.

8. Markijuano

Markijuano Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The main reason we bounce back permits are the drawings not matching the notes. Lazy architects or my favorite designers. Except for a select few if you roll up on me as a 'designer' or worse 'space planner' you know your shit is getting full plan check.

9. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    Dave is so old and gray. :coffee:

10. bertman19

bertman19 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The blueprints aren't blue anymore. They are called drawings these days. Still need to read them tho.

11. B Stache

B Stache is Bahindur Stachian

Reputations:
    If there is one thing I cannot stand in my line of work it's architects and mechanical engineers. These assholes are a waste of space with no field experience whatsoever, line drawing motherfuckers. God forbid you send in an RFI (request for information) which they will have no idea what you're talking about anyway and take a month to give you some weak ass answer. I can only hope the engineer shows his stupid face out on the project I'm at cause we're going to have some serious problems.

12. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    Engineers don't come out to jobsites, because they don't have Steel Toes, they only have Loafers. So when they do come out to a job site, it looks like a Elementary school field trip.

Same for Estimators.

13. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    Wrong.

In the construction business drawings have never been shittier. For an architect to draw something up without visiting the site is fucking retarded, lazy, and against all common sense. 75% of my time is spent RE-bidding projects because the fucking architects need to respond with 2, 3, or 4 addendums before they can get it right.

The only reason they DO get it right finally is because contractors like myself spend OUR time discovering all the mistakes they made.

I've re-bid the same 2 million dollar project SEVEN times because of addendums that would never have been necessary if they'd been drawn correctly the first time.

Estimators MUST spend time in the field more that EVER in account of the abuse given to "V.I.F". Verify In Field. That is laymen for "I'm too Stupid/Lazy to find out for sure what this is, so please do my job for me."

Architects and engineers should be required to build for 2 years before they are allowed to draw anything more advanced that a birthday card.

14. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    If somebody uses the word "space" in front of me it takes all the will power I can muster to not punch them in the face.

I did a decorative acid stain for a hair salon school in Chicago and we were asked to "make the concrete sexy."

15. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Carter & Burgess does an outstanding job around here. :dontknow:

16. HaroldJackson

HaroldJackson Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is impossible, this is stupid, that will break in a 10 knot breeze, this thing is twice as thick as it has to be, the material isn't available in that thickness, that doesn't make any sense, have you ever actually seen a ... ok, I can do this to your specs for X or I can do or right and it will look/perform better for half. (and X was doubled before even looking at the plans for AF (the Aggravation Factor) after the first meeting)