Entertainment Remember the religious protests and hysteria when Manson hit it big- flashback article

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MilkyDischarge, Oct 13, 2016.

1. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    IMG_5017.GIF

I miss the old days... all the religious protestors outside the venue and the kids in black telling them to fuck Jesus and die....
    This details the month of protests and the fear the children would be victims of the Antichrist Superstar (the album turned 20 last week)

Throwback Thursday: Syracuse leaders threaten to cancel Marilyn Manson concert
    [​IMG]
    "We have a moral obligation to the people of Syracuse," Syracuse Mayor Roy Bernardi said on Oct. 13, 1998, about the upcoming Marilyn Manson concert at the Landmark Theatre.

Bernardi asked officials of the theater to reconsider allowing the controversial band from performing there.

Manson had been criticized for his explicit lyrics, which often attacked Catholicism, and asked fans to recite lyrics swearing at God, parents and the church.

Bernardi said Manson is "not really the type of entertainment that I feel is good for our community. I'm all for the First Amendment right, but are they going to harm our young people?"

The controversy would lead to dozens of letters to the editors; articles in the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, People and Rolling Stone magazines and mentions on MTV and radio stations from as far as Las Vegas.

On Oct. 16, Onondaga County officials threatened to withhold more than $30,000 in funds from the Landmark if it didn't cancel the concert, and Bernardi warned that the entertainment permit for the concert may be denied.

[​IMG]Lisa Solomon, of Deruyter, waits for her tickets from Carol Leskoske (left) at the Landmark theater box office on October 16, 1998. Tickets were on sale for the November 19th Marilyn Manson concert.Matt Klicker / The Post-Standard
    County Legislative Leader William Sanford said taxpayer dollars should not support any performances that "demean, belittle, degrade, attack" any groups in Onondaga County.

If he could get enough votes, he would ask to "defund" the Landmark at the Nov. 2 legislator's meeting.

Manson supporters had an ally in County Executive Nicholas Pirro, who said: "If you don't like Marilyn Manson, don't buy a ticket. As long as they don't do anything illegal, I think we as public officials have more important things to worry about."

The debate continued a couple days later when tickets for the show went on sale.

Protesters and fans argued back and forth while waiting in line at the Landmark ticket office.

Close to 1,300 tickets were sold in the first hour.

Countless letters to the editors were published in both Syracuse newspapers, most siding with the theater and the band. Many letters worried about the "dangerous precedent" if the government could decide what the public could see or not. Others supported Bernardi for taking a stand for decency.

On Oct. 27, the concert was officially a sell-out, with almost 3,000 tickets sold.

That same day, the concert passed one of its last hurdles when Police Chief James Foody supported a permit for the concert.

William Sanford attributed the sell-out to the controversy, and said he had dropped the threat of withholding the theater's funds. He said, "While my personal view may be different than that, in my public office we have to protect the First Amendment."

The concert went ahead as scheduled on Nov. 19.

Despite an increase in security, there were few incidents before the concert began. A small gospel band played, while Manson foes tried to hand out pamphlets.

[​IMG]Catholics Against the New Age members Jeanine Shahin of Syracuse and Jim McAskill of Syracuse, protest as Marilyn Manson fans wait in line at the Landmark Theatre before the band's concert on November 19, 1998.Michelle Gabel / The Post-Standard
    There were a couple of tense moments, but the Post-Standard reported the main problems were jaywalkers and underage smokers.

During the show, Manson dedicated a song to Mayor Bernardi.

Post-Standard reporter Erin Duggan wrote in the next day's paper, "After one month of protests, dozens of articles, broadcasts and letters, Marilyn Manson was in and out of the Syracuse spotlight in less than 90 minutes, The Landmark Theatre is still standing, and no one was arrested."

Patrick McCarthy, of Jordan, in a letter to the Herald Journal summed up the entire month-long controversy: "A strange thing happened the day after the Marilyn Manson concert in Syracuse. I woke up, and everything was the same."

[​IMG]

This feature is a part of CNY Nostalgia, a section on syracuse.com. Send your ideas and curiosities to Johnathan Croyle: Email | 315-427-3958.

http://www.syracuse.com/vintage/2016/10/throwback_thursday_leaders_thr.html

DDragon and max rockatansky like this.
  2. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    Why does @freds hate you?

max rockatansky likes this.
  3. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
  4. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    People are funny

5. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    I'm in California, anything goes, always has.

6. No. 2 Pencil

No. 2 Pencil "Shit Mult" VIP

Reputations:
    They should have just protested on the grounds that his music is shit.

7. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I remember all the ridiculous urban legends like he had his ribs removed so he could suck his own dick and that his irises were white from injecting too much lsd straight in to his eyeballs

Donkeyboy2190 and MilkyDischarge like this.
  8. batcave

batcave Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The religious nuts have always found someone that they feel is taking their children to Hell with music. Elvis, the Beatles after Lennon's Jesus comment, Alice Cooper, KISS, the Sex Pistols, Ozzy, Led Zeppelin and Judas Priest with all that backwards masking shit, Manson. Now, it seems less a religious thing than claims that the Illuminati are involved in corrupting the young.

People just seem to have too much time on their hands...

MilkyDischarge likes this.
  9. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    My penis is very large and girthy. Most men are jealous.

10. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I'll have you know sir, that Portrait of an American Family is a timeless classic.

Dream Theater likes this.
  11. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    Or that he was Paul from the Womder Years

LonghornJ likes this.
  12. DaTenses

DaTenses Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This may be showing my age, but I remember when Christians were protesting Dungeons and Dragons as being satanic. The bastards are always trying to tell someone how to live.

honestmaxx likes this.
  13. No. 2 Pencil

Reputations:
    Whatever works for you. I'm not a fan.

cg256 likes this.
  14. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It prompted me to throw it on. You're like my favorite person for this right now.

No. 2 Pencil likes this.
  15. No. 2 Pencil

Reputations:
    Haha. Well, maybe I'll revisit it myself. I just remember liking his stuff back in the day then not liking it one day.

Enjoy

cg256 likes this.
  16. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Oh, Marilyn Manson. I was wondering just how old you were.

17. DDragon

DDragon Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This doesnt happen with Ghost. I think maybe they get some protesters I dont know. Sure Ghost arent as big as Manson was at his peak but they are doing pretty well.

18. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I live in Syracuse, and I've seen many great shows at the Landmark Theater. The best was leaning up on the stage as Crosby Stills and Nash played in 1994. I don't even remember Manson coming here.

19. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    As the story goes, a 12-year-old Cranston, who grew up in the Canoga Park section of Los Angeles, was riding horses at Spahn Ranch—a former film set for Hollywood Westerns owned by George Spahn. The octogenarian allowed the Manson Family to live there rent-free in exchange for doing various chores, including helping run his horse-rental business.

“I was very young but old enough to be on my own,” remembers Cranston. “Me and my female cousin, who is a year-and-a-half older than I am, we were dropped off to go horseback riding while my mom and uncle went off and did something else. So we were checking out our horses at Spahn Ranch, which is very close to where I was raised. We noticed that the people around there were all strange in their own kind of interesting way. There was an old guy [Spahn] checking us in and some guy in his twenties came in yelling, ‘Charlie’s on the hill! Charlie’s on the hill!’ Everybody looked around and there was this frantic nervous energy going on, and they all jumped on horses and away they went. We asked the old guy what was going on, and he said, ‘Oh, it’s nothing. It’s happened before.’ We thought, well, Charlie must be someone important.

“So we get our horses and go along the trail, and about, oh, 20 minutes after we left the barn area where the horses were gathered, we see this trail of horses coming back,” he goes on. “There were about eight or so people, and there was a man in the middle on a horse but he wasn’t holding his own reins—there was someone on the horse in front holding the reins—and Charlie, I guessed, was this comatose, bearded, long-haired guy with big eyes riding as if he’s just stuck to the back of a horse. Totally zoned out. You couldn’t take your eyes off him. My cousin turned back to me and said, ‘Wow, that guy’s weird.’ When we passed him and their whole group, she turned around again and said, ‘That must be Charlie,’ and I said, ‘Yeah… and Charlie’s freaky!’ We didn’t think anything of it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-i-felt-i-was-capable-of-killing-someone.html

MilkyDischarge likes this.