WTF Remember the "Therapy Turkey" that a passenger took with them on a flight

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Apr 13, 2016.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just found an article with more pictures. The reason she has a "Therapy Turkey", to bring her a reason to smile no matter how bad things are!!!

Jodie Smalley flew with her 'emotional support' turkey, Easter, from her home in Seattle, Washington state, to her relatives' house in Salt Lake City, Utah
    A woman who took a live turkey on a Delta Air Lines flight was bringing the 'emotional support' animal to her family's home for Christmas.

Jodie Smalley, from Seattle, Washington state, was spotted using her yellow-beaked bird, Easter, as a 'therapy' pet during her two-hour flight to Salt Lake City in Utah.

After the plane touched down, she lovingly pushed the feathered creature through the airport in a wheelchair, before taking it to her brother's house for festive celebrations.

But despite the time of year, she says that she didn't eat the turkey - instead, taking it on a return flight home with her a few days later, Mirror Online can reveal.

This is because, Ms Smalley says, Easter offers her comfort - and reminds her on a daily basis that 'there is a reason to smile and to care, no matter how bad things are'
    The turkey was allowed to travel on the flight under the Air Carrier Access Act 1968, which legally permits customers to fly with emotional support animals.

Ms Smalley, who lost her husband in recent years, wrote on Facebook how she adopted the animal after her friends spotted the then-chick shivering in the road on Easter Day.

She quickly fell in love with the creature and found it comforting at a hard time in her life.

"Easter came to me as a tiny poult at an emotionally difficult time in my life," Ms Smalley said.

"She became a source of love and laughter... Something to focus and care for outside my issues... She remained a constant amongst chaos."

Ms Smalley said she took Easter home for Christmas with her for emotional support because she feared her brother's 'amazing family and loving wife' would make her feel grief over her husband's death.

"I am so thankful to have her. Grief has been coming up. Seeing my brother's amazing family and him and his loving wife certainly made me miss my marriage and my husband," she wrote.

The widow, who used to live in Salt Lake City with her husband, explained how she had no luggage cart to transport Easter through the city's airport, so a wheelchair was provided by staff.

"It was intimidating having a wall of people waiting to board the plane watching us as I situated our gear and loaded her," she said.

During both her outbound and inbound flight, Ms Smalley found Easter was the centre of attention.

Stunned passengers and cabin crew members snapped photos of the turkey sitting happily on a plane seat and being carted through the airport in the wheelchair.

Some of these pictures were later posted them online, where they quickly went viral.

Ms Smalley said her pet's new-found fame had resulted in inaccurate 'assumptions' being made about herself and her pet.

"Easter has certainly ruffled some feathers while on our trip home for Christmas," she said.

She said the turkey was not disruptive - instead, sitting 'quietly' in her lap while she chatted to two women next to her.

"The airline pilots and attendants loved her. She even got a pair of little wings for flying so well," she wrote.

Although Delta allows 'domestic' birds on flights, its rules state that 'farm poultry' are 'unacceptable' travel companions, meaning Easter was lucky to make the flight.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Would bang then eat the turkey.

geo, oldpaddy, SternsEgo and 12 others like this.
  3. Austinchota

Austinchota Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

This is why women shouldn't leave the kitchen.

4. SuperFarts

SuperFarts Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Despite the fact that shes a kook, it would appear that she may actually be innocent...

Dan likes this.
  5. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Petal and SomerSky like this.
  6. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    "Lol look at what an asshole I am dragging this bird around all over the place!"

Muffler, Droog, Kilroy and 3 others like this.
  7. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    :backlol2: @Bristol Chicken
    My new favorite is the therapypot bellied pig that was kicked off a flight:
    image.jpeg

8. AxlCorey

AxlCorey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I need a support turkey.

What if I decided my support animal was a cobra, or full grown lion? Can I take those on a plane? There has to be some sort of rules, no?

sino8r, Petal, Missypooh RN and 6 others like this.
  9. rogmar

rogmar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What's that emotional support bullshit about?
    Are we supposed to believe that of she is somehow separated from the turkey she will have a nervous breakdown,her life will be a living hell or she'll spontaneously combust?

10. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    The pig was kicked off because it decided to piss and shit in the aisle. I have no idea how you prevent a turkey from doing the same.

oldpaddy, Petal, Missypooh RN and 4 others like this.
  11. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    in my day people drank booze and did coke to ease their problems and we damn well liked it

12. Stretch5000

Stretch5000 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bring back the looney bins!

13. hugh jasol

hugh jasol has nice soup coolers Gold

Reputations:
    I was at a mexican joint last night and some loudmouth broad brought her "emotional support" goddam Great Dane in who promptly dropped a HPE-sized deuce in the middle of the restaurant. The Chinese owner (that's right) went apeshit crazy and kicked her and Marmaduke right the fuck out.

Free nachos though so it was a win-win.

14. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    look at the smug look she gives. This is a game with these fucking people. Where I work, we have people shoving bullshit service dogs up our asses all day long. Listen bub, you're in an ER, you don't need a Pomeranian to warn you that your blood sugar's low....

15. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    You know what really irks me. She says the pilots and flight attendants loved the turkey. The pilots and flight attendants should be vehemently against service animals other than seeing eye dogs which a blind person needs to get around. You don't want to encourage passengers to board the plane with pets. If you give this woman a set of wings for her turkey you are reinforcing her behavior.

16. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    As someone who flies 100k+ miles a year....I would take the turkey over fat people and/or rubes who don't know how to act on a plane.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Anyonenow

Anyonenow Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There is a Jewish owned Glatt Kosher "Chinese" restaurant by me : oy:

18. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    I would just love to sit in a cramped airplane seat and smell a barnyard smell for hours from the next row, and I'm sure the airline cleaning staff enjoyed cleaning up the turkey shit after this asshole got off the plane. :facepalm:

19. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    I hope she falls asleep on a plane and when she wakes up and asks where her turkey is someone hands her this.

[​IMG]

oldpaddy, Kilroy, reno and 1 other person like this.
  20. Father O'Blivion

Father O'Blivion Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Next time I'm going to bring my therapy python.

sino8r, Stretch5000 and Runaway like this.