Report: 10 states sell half of imported crime guns

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by mingmen, Sep 26, 2010.

1. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    Report: 10 states sell half of imported crime guns

(AP) – 18 minutes ago

WASHINGTON  Nearly half of the guns that crossed state lines and were used in crimes in 2009 were sold in just 10 states, according to a report being released Monday by a mayors' group.

Those states accounted for nearly 21,000 guns connected to crimes in other states, said the survey by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, an association of more than 500 mayors led by New York's Michael Bloomberg and Boston's Thomas Menino.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives traced more than 145,000 guns used in crimes in 2009 and found that more than 43,000 of those weapons were sold in other states.

Forty-nine percent of those guns were sold in Georgia, Florida, Virginia, Texas, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, California or Arizona.

States were also ranked by the number of crime guns exported per 100,000 inhabitants. Mississippi led that list, followed by West Virginia, Kentucky, Alaska, Alabama, South Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, Nevada and Georgia.

Those states, the report said, have more relaxed gun laws, suggesting that "criminals and gun traffickers may favor certain states as the sources of guns."

For example, in states that do not require background checks for handgun sales at gun shows, the crime-gun export rate was two-and-a-half times as much as the rate in states that do require such checks.

:haha:

2. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have an illegal gun that has no name on it. Mass produced in Mexico. Bought it for 45 dollars from a brother on the street and I keep it in my dresser. God forbid I ever had to shoot an intruder and he didnt' have a gun I will be able to make sure he does by the time the police respond.

3. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:

[​IMG]

4. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Maybe you should try breaking into my place. :munch:

5. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    OK. post the address

6. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm a little shy so if you give me your address I will send you my address. It has to be snail mail though because I have never used a computer.

7. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    no thanks. looks like you are in full back pedal mode, pussy.

8. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :ohnoes: If course I am in full back pedal mode, anyone who calls another person a pussy is somebody I wouldn't mess with and wouldn't want breaking into my house.

9. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    where is your god now?

10. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :facepalm: You're not even funny.

11. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    your fake throw down piece was a scream though :jj:

12. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
    I got a conceal and carry permit a few years ago, and the guy teaching the class to get it was proud that he had 7 knives on him, in addition to 3 guns, and that was a regular thing with him. He also liked to exercise his right to carry on the state capital grounds (which would not get you arrested if you wrote the director of security in advance). I wouldn't have trusted 1/2 of the 50 people in the class to feed my cat while on vacation, much less carry around .38s.

13. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    most of the people that want to carry a gun shouldn't be anywhere near one. truth

14. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I also don't trust the people carrying the guns illegally. At least with the class you're in people are somewhat regulated and at least trying to follow some sort of law. The people out on the street and doing drivebys have no regard for any law.
    Of course it was a fake throw down. Just the same as your comeback because if I gave you my address you wouldn't try breaking into my place so that was a scream too. :rolleye:
    Kids where I live are taken out hunting at a young age. You can see young teens walking through fields with shotguns to shoot and we never have a problem in our community except around six years ago a naturalized citizen from Laos was illegally carrying a gun and illegally on private property hunting killed six people and seriously wounded two. His defense attorneys tried bringing up how the dead fired back before they died, nice defense, He can shoot but don't shoot back at him.

15. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    anything else, Robin?

16. bill

bill Goofballa from Ding Dong U VIP Gold

Reputations:
    We tawk real funny down heah
    We drink too much, we laugh too loud
    We too dumb to make it in no northern town

17. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    that is a great point :tu:

18. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    Michael R. Bloomberg

108th Mayor of the City of New York
    Posted: September 27, 2010 10:17 AM

Report: Weak Laws Turn a Handful of States Into Shopping Malls for Gun Traffickers

A handful of states with weak gun laws are the largest contributors to the U.S. market for illegally trafficked guns. That's the alarming finding of the new report "Trace the Guns: The Link Between Gun Laws and Interstate Gun Trafficking," a groundbreaking report issued today by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a coalition of more than 500 mayors that I co-chair with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.

"Trace the Guns" examines troves of new data released to Mayors Against Illegal Guns by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and for the first time demonstrates the connection between laws designed to deter illegal trafficking and lower crime gun export rates.

Mississippi, West Virginia, Kentucky, Alaska, Alabama, South Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, Nevada, and Georgia were the ten states that supplied crime guns at the highest rates - each of them supplying guns used in crimes at a rate more than twice the national average.

Not only do they supply a disproportionate amount of crime guns, but these states are also more likely to be the source of guns recovered in crimes within two years of the original sale, which the ATF says is a key sign of illegal trafficking.

See for yourself: read the report and see where guns are coming from in your state on the interactive website: TraceTheGuns.org.

The stakes are high: 12,000 people per year are murdered with guns in the United States. If one state ignores a gap in its laws, other states have to deal with the deadly consequences.

There is urgent work to be done by policy makers at all levels to strengthen enforcement of the laws we have on the books, and to close gaps in state and federal law. For example, the Gun Show Loophole enables people with criminal records to avoid FBI background checks if they buy a gun from an unlicensed "private seller." Today's report shows that states where this loophole is open export crime guns at two-and-a-half times the rate of states that have closed it. The ATF has long identified gun shows as a leading source for traffickers, and while we didn't need any more proof that legislators should put a stop to this end-run around background checks, we now have it.

"Trace the Guns" should serve as a clear roadmap for how we can more effectively fight illegal gun trafficking, support police, and protect public safety - and mayors around the country will be urging lawmakers in state capitols and in Washington, DC to take action.

19. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    What would a mayor know, right?