Politics Republican candidates are all backing out of pledge to support nominee

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Slow, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    shit is about the get really ugly.

Future President Hillary is somewhere smiling.

Trump rescinds pledge to back Republican nominee; Cruz, Kasich refuse to commit support

Donald Trump said Tuesday that he would no longer honor his pledge to support the eventual Republican nominee for president, while fellow candidates Ted Cruz and John Kasich refused to say whether they would back the party's pick.

ADVERTISEMENT

All three GOP contenders appeared at a CNN town hall in Milwaukee one week before Wisconsin's April 5 primary.

When asked if he would keep the pledge he signed last September, Trump responded "No, I won’t." The real estate mogul explained that he was taking back the pledge because, "I have been treated very unfairly," and listed the Republican National Committee and party establishment among those he believes have wronged him.

Cruz, who is running second to Trump in the delegate race, shrugged off the question of whether he would support Trump in November, saying "Donald is not going to be the GOP nominee. We're going to beat him." The Texas senator added that nominating Trump "would be an absolute train wreck" and "would hand the general election to Hillary Clinton."

Trump, who followed Cruz on the town hall stage, said he didn't need a promise of support from Cruz.

"He doesn’t have to support me," he said.

2016 Election Headquarters
    The latest headlines on the 2016 elections from the biggest name in politics.See Latest Coverage →

Ohio Gov. Kasich, who has vowed to keep his campaign going until this summer's convention in Cleveland despite being a distant third in the delegate count, also didn't say whether he'd stand by the pledge.

"If the nominee is somebody I think is really hurting the country, and diving the country, I can't stand behind them," Kasich said.

Trump has 736 delegates and is the only candidate with a realistic path to clinching the nomination by the end of the primaries on June 7. However, a Cruz win in Wisconsin would narrow Trump's already tight path to the nomination and raise the prospect of a contested convention in Cleveland.

Trump told supporters at a rally that "if we win Wisconsin, it's pretty much over," noting his significant delegate lead over both Cruz and Kasich. Trump held the rally in Janesville, Wis., hometown of House Speaker Paul Ryan — who last week called for more civility in politics even as the Republican presidential race grew more personal and nasty.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a former GOP presidential contender, endorsed Cruz Tuesday, saying he believes the Texas senator is best positioned to win the GOP nomination and defeat Clinton.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

ljc likes this.
  2. SuperFarts

SuperFarts Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm surprised that Trump didnt say something like, "well, I cant support myself".

For anyone who heard the comments in context, did he seem to be insinuating that he might not win the nomination?

3. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Trump was never backing anyone but Trump
    Cruz will look like a punk if he backs a man who insulted his wife
    Kasich--he's still in it--how about that

scoobyla likes this.
  4. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  5. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    I believe trump that he would have not ran 3rd party and supported a candidate that got more votes than him. What is being discussed now about a contested convention is a disgrace to american politics. If they put a figure head in to run at the convention i hope trump runs 3rd party to hand the whole thing to Hillary and I hope the republican party is dead forever.

ljc likes this.
  6. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Trump and Cruz.

Your right-wing base, ladies and gentlemen.

SaintJimmy likes this.
  7. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I posted this already
    but I heard some weeks back
    some GOP higher up had claimed that the voters don't pick the nominee--the party does

it may be true I suppose--but it sure sounds like some commie shit

Slow likes this.
  8. lastlaugh

lastlaugh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The longer this goes on, the more I see that the GOP is not going to let Trump have it. If they don't care about the backlash, this is what I expect. Rubio apparently still wants his delegates.

[​IMG][​IMG]