Ringling Bros Circus Phasing Out Elephant Acts....FINALLY....

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by teehee, Mar 6, 2015.

1. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    Elephants are such beautiful creatures..and smart..About time!!

Ringling Bros. Circus To Phase Out Elephant Acts

[​IMG]
    Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, one of the United States' most famous circus companies, will eliminate elephants from its shows in the coming years, The Associated Press reported Thursday.

Feld Entertainment, the parent company for "The Greatest Show on Earth," told the AP it would phase out elephants by 2018, citing animal welfare concerns.

“This decision was not easy, but it is in the best interest of our company, our elephants and our customers,” CEO Kenneth Feld said in a press statement. Feld’s 43 elephants, which form the largest herd in North America, will retire to a 200-acre sanctuary in central Florida.

"There's been somewhat of a mood shift among our consumers," Executive Vice President Alana Feld told the AP.

The company also cited the difficulty of fighting local legislation that would affect their shows. Late in 2014, Oakland, California, became the largest U.S. city to ban the use of bullhooks -- a hooked tool commonly inserted in elephants' skin to train and corral them. Los Angeles also enacted a bullhook ban that will go into effect in 2017.

“This is a startling and tremendously exciting announcement,” the Humane Society of the United States told The Huffington Post in an emailed statement. “With consumers now so alert to animal welfare issues, no business involved in any overt form of animal exploitation can survive in the long run.”

Ringling Bros. and other circuses have been under scrutiny from animal welfare groups for their treatment of elephants and other animals.

In 2014, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and othersreached a settlement with Feld Entertainment to end a longstanding legal battle over unproven allegations of elephant mistreatment at the circus. The groups paid almost $16 million to cover Feld's legal costs for the 14-year litigation.

In late 2011, Feld Entertainment reached a $270,000 settlement with the U.S. Department of Agriculture for alleged violations of the Animal Welfare Act occurring between 2007 and 2011. The settlement allowed the company to avoid admitting any wrongdoing or USDA violations. "Animal care is always a top priority at Ringling Bros.," Kenneth Feld said at the time.

The penalty was the largest to date in the Animal Welfare Act's four-decade history, according to Mother Jones, which reported on the alleged violations after a yearlong investigation. Each violation carried a maximum fine of $10,000, meaning the USDA was likely citing the company for at least 27 violations. Mother Jones' investigation revealed elephants were "whipped with bullhooks, trapped in train cars filled with their own feces, and chained in place for a good part of their lives."

“This is a tremendous victory for the elephants ... as well as for everyone who fought for this change,” ASPCA President and CEO Matt Bershadker said in a statement. “We continue to oppose using elephants or any wild or exotic animals in circuses, carnivals and other traveling animal shows."

This story has been updated with statements from Kenneth Feld, the Humane

smichal, Guacamole, Dorb and 3 others like this.
  2. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Just don't tell me they've outlawed midgets. That would be too much.

3. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    You mean actors?

Turkeyneck and teehee like this.
  4. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    I was looking for a funny elephant circus attack video sadly they dont exist. The elephant always ends up dead.

Fuzz Nuts, Turkeyneck and teehee like this.
  5. teehee

Reputations:
    You mean when They step on trainer?? Do they kill them...

\\

6. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Yes too hard to watch.

7. teehee

Reputations:
    I did not know they killed them. Awful!! If you are one of those trainers it should be just one of the hazards. Poor elephants..

Turkeyneck likes this.
  8. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:

smichal and teehee like this.
  9. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Hopefully they'll ban those creepy clowns next.

smichal, Peau de Soie and teehee like this.
  10. teehee

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of my grandfather with Snowball the Polar Bear. He raised snowball. I wish I could find the picture of him holding snowball when he was a baby.\

Years later a dopey girl, jumped over the fence because she wanted to pet snowball. She was 18 and should have known better. He chomped on her arm and they shot him..Awful..Zoos and Circuses are awful..Especially the old ones..I'm glad my grandfather was not alive to see that..

smichal and babybear like this.
  11. The Snork

The Snork Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    If you ask me we're not hard enough on those motherfuckers

12. Guacamole

Guacamole Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Very sorry to hear that, @teehee . I agree with you that animals shouldn't be used for our entertainment.

Unless, of course, they're the superstar winners of America's Got Talent, Olate Dogs!!!!! :yay:

[​IMG]

teehee likes this.
  13. Turkeyneck

Turkeyneck Howard's got one, not me VIP

Reputations:

teehee likes this.
  14. teehee

Reputations:
    Clowns always scared the shit out of me. I hated them when I was a kid..
    My friend dated a guy who worked as Pickles The Clown..:giggle: I think they went on two dates. luckily he did not go out in costume..

15. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Midget wrestling!

[​IMG]

16. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Good. It's relatively easy to agree that circuses and zoos and sea shows exploit and confine the animals.

What's a lot more challenging is the idea I just heard from Penn's podcast that circus animal ownership is not significantly different from normal pet ownership. Are our cats, dogs, etc. being unfairly confined, limited, or mistreated by us? Sure we have been symbiotic for centuries, but that doesn't make it right.