RIP Alvin Lee of Ten Years After

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Spazzmatazz, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Alvin Lee, the speed-fingered British guitarist who lit up Woodstock with a monumental 11-minute version of his song "I'm Going Home," has died, according to his website. He was 68.

"With great sadness, we have to announce that Alvin unexpectedly passed away early this morning after unforeseen complications following a routine surgical procedure," read the message on alvinlee.com. "We have lost a wonderful, much loved father and companion. The world has lost a great and truly gifted musician."

The note was signed by Lee's daughter, Jasmin, wife, Evi, and former companion Suzanne.

Lee died Wednesday.

Born in Nottingham, England, in 1944, Lee was the leader of the band Ten Years After.

His performance at Woodstock in 1969 catapulted him into the front ranks of the period's British guitar heroes, which included Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend.

In an image from the 1973 book "Rock Dreams," he and those four others are pictured in tuxedos carrying guitar cases into a building.

"Groups would play for an hour without pausing, not to be mobbed or screamed at but in hopes of an ovation," critic Nik Cohn wrote about musicians in the caption.

Despite his status as a musician, Lee never reached the critical or popular heights of his countrymen.

Ten Years After never had a Top 10 album in America, though 1971's "A Space in Time" went platinum thanks to the group's only Top 40 hit, "I'd Love to Change the World."

Lee released his latest album, "Still on the Road to Freedom," last August.

Many photos:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/showbiz/obit-alvin-lee/index.html

[video=youtube;J7-8sCLWwLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7-8sCLWwLk[/video]

2. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I heard he used to sneak into clubs around the Albany area and play for small crowds. Sure wish I'd seen him at one of those.

3. Dwainw

Dwainw Active Member

Reputations:
    I saw him in 1978 at the Florida Jam at the old fairgrounds in downtown Tampa. He was the headliner and because the back up band Wet Willie couldn't play due to lightning he played an extra long set as I recall. The very first BIG concert/Festival I ever went to. I was 18. The players as I remember that day were: Seals & Crofts, Joe Cocker, The Winters Brothers, Atlanta Rythm Section, Wet Willie and Lee.:freebird:

4. Jake Dog

Jake Dog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  5. Fourinchespyle

Fourinchespyle New Member

Reputations:
    He's going home :(

6. Jim Lahey

Reputations:
    I found the Live in Germany 72ish album when I was in college. It, like Quadrophenia, was one that you could put in your deck and leave on for about six months. As a matter of fact it's probably still in the basement in rotation with New Clear Days and Police Live in Boston 83 for my weightlifting routine.

At least he's reunited with Rory now. And they're jamming the fuck out of heaven. RIP Alvin. Thanks for some good shit.

7. Box of Rox

Box of Rox Turgid member VIP

Reputations:
    i seen him when back in the 80's when he warmed up for Santana in the Capital theater. I think they were calling themselves Ten Years Later. Man he can sling an axe with the best of them...Another 60's legend gone...RIP my brother

8. Box of Rox

Box of Rox Turgid member VIP

Reputations:
    "Groups would play for an hour without pausing, not to be mobbed or screamed at but in hopes of an ovation," critic Nik Cohn wrote about musicians in the caption.

I love that quote...Rock bands back in the day were true musicians ...it's sad to see the state of rock music theses days

9. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum New Member

Reputations:
    'tax the rich, feed the poor, till there are no rich no more'

10. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    wow

11. ZevonFan

ZevonFan VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Loved that guy, Spazz. I had the good fortune to see him and Ten Years After when they had just put out their first album. They had become huge on the West coast and were trying their luck on the East coast. I was mesmerized by his playing and he hadn't really peaked yet. He will be missed. I like knowing that some of the greats from real rock and roll music are still around, but they seem to be leaving too soon. Levon Helm for one.

12. LobsterTails

LobsterTails Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This was one of my favourite bits of Woodstock.
    [video=youtube;bW5M5xljdCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW5M5xljdCI[/video]

13. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum New Member

Reputations:
    The fucking best part of the invasion of Yasgur's farm.

14. Jim Lahey

Reputations:
    I was in Cleveland for the Sam Cooke tribute about 6 or so years ago and I was sitting at a table with a certain Magic Negro. Mr Magic Negro didn't want to be bothered so I took up the slack with the guy who sat between us. A typical 50something yuppie wannabe with deep pockets, he said that he and his buddies had put together a band.

"Oh great", I yawned, trying to catch Taj Mahal's eye for another glass of wine. "Tell me all about it..." Blah blah blah he said. So what axe are you slingin I asked. A Gibson ES335 he said. Cool, I said. That's the same one favored by Chuck "I invented all of this shit" Berry and Alvin Lee of Ten Years After. Awesome he said. Blah buh blah blah blah, and so on and so forth.

The night went on, speeches were given, I was mesmerized by a great man, Julian Bond. My aunt was there. After making Elvis Costello laugh and inadvertently dissing Gavin McGraw, someone told me who I was sitting next to. The CEO of ********* Inc.

The punch line is: Mr CEO paid $10,000 to talk guitars with ME; the reality is a great man is dead. RIP Alvin. We miss you down here.

15. UnElegant 1

UnElegant 1 Member

Reputations:
    One of the few great slingers I never got to see live along with Hendrix and Duane Allman. He was an amazing talent.