News RIP "Crazy Eddie"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anybody from the NY area remembers this guy from years ago..
    Eddie Antar, owner of 'Crazy Eddie' electronics chain, dead at 68
    [​IMG]
    The "Crazy Eddie" chain was known for its ads featuring a maniacal pitchman who touted that "Our prices are insane!"
    (Caruso, Dennis, New York Daily N)
    Leonard Greene
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Updated: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 8:59 PM
    “Crazy Eddie” Antar, the retail electronics dealer whose “insaaane” prices were almost as wacky as his security fraud conviction, has died, according to a family member.
    Antar, 68, became famous in New York and three other states for his name, if not for his face.
    That’s because his catchy commercials — featuring a fast-talking, hand-waving, out-of-his-mind pitchman — actually featured someone else.
    To be sure, when former New York radio disc jockey Jerry Carroll hit the airwaves with his zany Crazy Eddie shtick, the pitchman said, “his prices are insane.”
    In 9/11 TV interview, Trump focused on his '40 Wall Street' tower
    [​IMG]
    "Crazy" Eddie Antar, center, founder of the Crazy Eddie electronics store chain, is led in handcuffs after being extradited from Israel.
    (DANIEL HULSHIZER/AP)
    “We are not undersold, we will not be undersold, we cannot be undersold and we mean it,” he would bellow in the TV ad blitz. “Get it now during Crazy Eddie’s greatest TV and video sale ever. Crazy Eddie — his prices are insaaane!!”
    Antar rode the appeal of such kooky commercials to retail supremacy, with a chain of 43 stores in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania
    But Antar was anything but crazy. He was crooked.
    [​IMG]
    former New York radio disc jockey Jerry Carroll hit the airwaves with his zany Crazy Eddie shtick.
    (Handout)
    He started with a store in Brooklyn. But when his business began to unravel in 1987 behind a massive profit-skimming scheme, Antar fled to Israel after being indicted on securities fraud and insider-trading charges.
    In 1989, the company’s new owners declared bankruptcy.
    Four years later, Antar was returned to the U.S. for a trial on the criminal charges. He was convicted later that year.
    [​IMG]
    In 1993 Eddie Antar, left, was convicted on racketeering and stock fraud charges.
    (JULIO IBARRA JR/AP)
    Although the conviction was overturned, he eventually pleaded guilty and was sentenced to eight years in prison and ordered to pay nearly $150 million in fees and restitution.
    Antar died Saturday. A cause of death was not disclosed. His funeral was held Sunday in New Jersey.
    “Everybody knows Crazy Eddie. What can I tell you?” he would say years after his legal troubles. “I changed the business. I changed the whole business.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...e-electronics-chain-dead-68-article-1.2787645

2. IPleadTheFifth

IPleadTheFifth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I worked for him and met him a few times. He was a personable guy. Helped them open a store in Manhattan. I was a kid then and didn't know anything about his fraud dealings.

Every item in the store had a price tag which was the retail price and then a special number on the back of the tag. You ignored the first and last numbers and divided what was left by 2. That was the lowest price you could sell that item for. If a customer came in and paid retail, great. If they wanted to haggle, you knew what your number was.

Everybody in our store was on drugs. Weed, coke, pills.. it was a zoo on Saturdays. They would buy you lunch and didn't let you take a lunch break, you ate behind your counter.

3. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    I think his family was going to have him wacked if he didn't come back from Israel.

4. Rum Balls

Rum Balls VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That was the real NYC. It had character, now it's Disneyland.

5. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That's a cut throat business. There used to be a lot of discount electronic stores. Most of them are gone. Who remembers The Wiz?

6. Barton Fink

Barton Fink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I went to school with his kids!

Susan Antar and i believe Eddie junir. (not sure the boy's name)

wife is a whore likes this.
  7. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    Silo was where I used to get all my stuff. Then the Wiz and Circuit City.

No. 2 Pencil likes this.
  8. Tickle Shits

Tickle Shits Special Needs Typist. Gold

Reputations:
    All I my friends used to have crazy Eddie T-shirts. I used to be so bummed that I didn't have one. :(

9. Lagersolut

Lagersolut Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Same here , Silo is where we got our first washer and dryer back in '88 - Whirlpool direct drive - still have the washer still works , paid a little over 800 for the set ....now you can't barely get 1 for that . Appliances made today are junk.

10. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I bought my first VCR at Crazy Eddie's. It was a floor model, Betamaz, top loading VCR and cost $600, which was a a lot of money in the early 80s.

Lagersolut and wife is a whore like this.
  11. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    nobody beats the wiz...NOBODY!!