News RIP DJ Reggie Reg

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Rescued Owl, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]More than 800 mourners gathered at the Empowerment Temple in Baltimore on Friday morning for the funeral of Reginald Calhoun — better known as DJ Reggie Reg.The prominent former 92Q radio personality, known for his charm and talent for mixing house music, hip-hop beats and sampled songs, died last Saturday of congestive heart failure at age 50.The crowd encompassed family, friends, fans and music-industry professionals such as former Def Jam executive Kevin Liles, celebrating Calhoun with stories, soulful songs and Scripture. Programs filled with photo collages of the DJ with relatives, acquaintances and music notables, including R&B singers Jill Scott and Ginuwine, ran out.Calhoun's sister Betty Covington recalled their childhood, when Calhoun first started experimenting as a DJ.“I didn't like music,” she said, remembering Calhoun as a teenager transporting his speakers and turntables in a shopping cart from house to house to play his music.She had never realized “he was positioning himself for success,” she said.“He was born for music and died doing it.”Calhoun had been struggling with heart problems for more than five years, she said. About a month ago, he called her to the hospital; when she got there, he was crying.“I'm tired of running this race. I'm ready to go get my wings,” she said he told her. She tried to encourage him, she said, but he knew his time was running out.Covington emphasized Calhoun's passion and determination to inspire the attending parents and children.“All children have powers and just don't know they have it, just like Reggie did, so we got to be able to talk to our youth and change our city. And we have to inspire our youth,” she said.Calhoun's close friends Liles, Frank “Ski” Rodriguez and Howard Dabney spoke about their years growing up in Baltimore and breaking into the music industry.“How do you put 31 years in two minutes?” Rodriguez said, but he tried.“When Reggie walked in, it changed the whole environment. It didn't matter. Reggie would sit in some beauty salon all day,” Rodriguez said, as the audience laughed. “Sit in a barbershop all day, sit in a record store all day, and just change the presence.”The audience's laughter grew when Rodriguez explained that Calhoun first earned his widely known nickname “The Mayor” after the DJ somehow obtained a key to the manager's bathroom in Mondawmin Mall when they were growing up.“Reggie knew everybody in every industry,” he said.But in between laughs, there were moments filled with grief. People stood, swaying to the sounds of Stevie Wonder's “Ribbon in the Sky” and the gospel hymn “His Eye Is on the Sparrow,” hands often rising in the air.“I see a lot of heads that's down. There are tears in your eyes. ... We are feeling this thing right now, but I know Reggie. He would not want us crying,” Dabney said, tears in his eyes. “This man smiled even when he was hurting.”Thomas Phillips, neighborhood liaison for the City Council, delivered a resolution from Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, in which she expressed “her deepest condolences to the family and friends of this beloved and valued Baltimore icon.”The DJ's daughter, Jazzy Calhoun, 22, reminisced on their days laughing and crying together, about the time her father comically refused to recognize she had a boyfriend and how he always encouraged her.Though she chose not to follow in her father's footsteps, she said she always knew she had the option to learn from such a seasoned professional.“He used to tell me, ‘Make that money, boo-boo. … Know who your real friends are. And if you want to be in the industry, Daddy's got you,'?” she said. bbritto@baltsun.comtwitter.com/brittanybritto

SalsMasterShake likes this.
  2. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He would be prowd of that send off

3. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    R I P Player

4. Phuck Yoo

Phuck Yoo Active Member

Reputations:
  5. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
  6. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Did a Dawgsheder name this guy?
    :giggle:

Rahm2015 and Rescued Owl like this.
  7. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I saw it in the newspaper this morning and started cracking up laughing. I had to explain who reggie is at the Shed to her.

check1 likes this.