Entertainment Rita Coolidge claims she wrote part of Layla

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Don't doubt it..........

Singer Rita Coolidge claims she penned part of Eric Clapton's hit 'Layla' but got no credit... and only found out when she heard it on the radio

It is one of the greatest hits of all time and Eric Clapton’s most famous song.
    But now a female singer has claimed that she actually penned part of ‘Layla’ – and did not get the credit for it.
    Rita Coolidge claims Clapton used the chords and melody that she played for him at Olympic Studios in London in 1970.
    The first she knew that he had appropriated her music was when she heard it on the radio, she writes in ‘Delta Lady’.
    Scroll down for video
    [​IMG]
    +7
    [​IMG]
    +7
    Rita Coolidge (left) claimed that she actually penned part of Eric Clapton's (right) famous song ‘Layla’ – and did not get the credit for it
    Coolidge claims that when she asked Clapton’s manager, the late Robert Stigwood, for a credit he told her to get lost and said: ‘You’re a girl singer - what are you going to do?’
    In her autobiography Coolidge writes: ‘I think it’s time everyone knew that it (Layla) also has a mother.’
    Layla has become one of Clapton’s greatest anthems and was ranked 27th on the Rolling Stone list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
    The official history of the song is that it was written by by Clapton when he was lead singer of Derek and the Dominos with the help of Jim Gordon, the drummer with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

According to rock lore, Layla was Clapton’s declaration of undying love to Pattie Boyd who at the time was married to his best friend, Beatle George Harrison.
    Coolidge, 70, who later won two Grammy Awards for her own songs, and penned James Bond theme All Time High for Octopussy, says that before she became famous she was a backing singer for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.
    [​IMG]
    +7
    In her autobiography Coolidge writes: ‘I think it’s time everyone knew that it (Layla) also has a mother’
    One day she and Gordon wrote a song from a riff in Gordon’s head; she added chords and brought together what she calls ‘his melody and my sweet counter melody’.
    The result was a song called ‘Time (Don’t let the World Get in Our Way)’ which they recorded onto a demo, the book says.
    Soon after they were on tour and met Clapton in London.
    Coolidge writes: ‘We played the song for Eric Clapton when we were in England.
    ‘I remember clearly sitting at the piano at Olympic Studios while Eric listened to me play it all the way through.
    ‘Jim and I left a taped cassette of the demo with Eric, hoping of course, that he might cover it. Nothing came of it and I largely forgot about it’.
    A year later, Coolidge was doing a photoshoot for her first album when she turned on the radio and heard Layla for the first time.
    Coolidge writes that she screamed out: ‘That’s my music! That’s my music!’
    She writes: ‘I was infuriated. What they had clearly done was take the song Jim and I had written, jettisoned the lyrics, and tacked it to the end of Eric’s song.
    ‘It was almost the same as the arrangement’.
    [​IMG]
    +7
    According to rock lore, Layla was Clapton’s declaration of undying love to Pattie Boyd who at the time was married to his best friend, Beatle George Harrison (above, with Boyd)
    [​IMG]
    +7
    Coolidge claims that when she asked Clapton’s manager, the late Robert Stigwood (pictured second from left, with The Bee Gees) for a credit he told her: ‘You’re a girl singer - what are you going to do?’
    Coolidge, whose later hits included ‘Higher and Higher’ and ‘We’re All Alone Now’, tried to approach Stigwood to get a credit but was given the brush off.
    Recounting the conversation, she claims that he told her: ‘You’re going to go up against Stiggy?
    ‘The Robert Stigwood Organization? Who do you think you are? You’re a girl singer - what are you going to do?’
    Coolidge says that there is ‘no way’ that Gordon - who later developed schizophrenia, stabbed his mother to death and remains in prison - could have forgotten that they wrote the song together.
    She writes: ‘And, frankly, I don’t think Eric could have, either.’
    Coolidge talks about her unhappy relationship with Gordon, who she says beat her up one night whilst on tour with Joe Cocker,
    In the memoir she writes that he ‘hit me so hard that I was lifted off the floor and slammed against the wall on the other side of the hallway’.
    She claims that she ‘literally went flying’ and was knocked out but whilst she lay on the floor Gordon went back into their hotel room - as if nothing had happened.
    [​IMG]
    +7
    Coolidge later married Kris Kristofferson (pictured, performing together in 1976) who she met on a flight from LA to Memphis in 1971
    [​IMG]
    +7
    Coolidge describes Kristofferson (together in 1979) as a ‘heavy drinker’ who could ‘not be counted upon to be faithful’
    Coolidge later married Kris Kristofferson who she met on a flight from LA to Memphis in 1971.
    They had such a strong connection with that they decided on the name for their first child within an hour of meeting each other.
    She describes him as a ‘heavy drinker’ who could ‘not be counted upon to be faithful’ and was paranoid and controlling.
    By the end of the decade he was drinking a quart of vodka per day and would offer crowds their money back for his terrible shows; she left him in 1979.
    Years later the humiliation continued and women would walk up to her and say: ‘Now that you and Kris are divorced, you probably don’t care. But he and I were together - could you tell him I say hi’.
    Coolidge writes: ‘You have no idea how many women are so insensitive to their participation in the demise of a couple’.
    Nobody for Clapton was available for comment last night.

2. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    hairy bush

Mr. Meatkabob and babybear like this.
  3. lovetalkradio

lovetalkradio Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You know this how?

4. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

5. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    Those were the good old days. They were all fucking and writing and getting blasted together.

DarkFriday, sstressed and goldtopper like this.
  6. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:
    Part of collaboration I guess. Gotta copywrite your stuff.

7. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    She had a lot of good songs
    Big fan big fan

close the wiindow
    come alive
    and it will be alright

ZevonFan, babybear and DiamondGoddess like this.
  8. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    it's a great song. don't care who wrote it.

LAAAAAYLA, YOU'VE GOT ME ON MY KNEES.

9. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good thing she waited several decades before making her claim...

reno, Dirty South, DarkFriday and 3 others like this.
  10. HPMikesLazyEYE

HPMikesLazyEYE Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who did what now?

11. lovetalkradio

lovetalkradio Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Boz Scaggs.

Skippy and bobblebooey like this.
  12. knuckle_hedd

knuckle_hedd loving life!

Reputations:
    she wrote the you got me on my knees part..

13. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

She's full of shit !
    She also claims that she helped @garypagetwo write a few of his hits too.

Dirty South likes this.
  14. Trigger7672

Trigger7672 Member

Reputations:
    Cool story, the co-author of Laya, session drummer Jim Gordon is in prison for killing his mom with a hammer.

15. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    she sanggggggg it so purty

lovetalkradio likes this.
  16. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Fuck that bitch, she claimed she wrote some of my college term papers and wanted me to pay her. She had no part of it.

reno likes this.
  17. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    She should have written a song about being married to Kris Kristofferson.
    Sounds like he was a wild motherfucker.

18. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I don't doubt this happened and the fact that she was a woman, they totally dismissed her.... Sucks but that's life, I guess

reno, DarkFriday and babybear like this.
  19. oblio98

oblio98 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's generally known that she did in fact write that bit at the end, the piano part where there is guitar and no lyrics, and that melody is not the same as the main song.

20. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    Love me some Rita!!!

Dolly Parton said that Ray Stevens stole "Everything is Beautiful" from her when she was on the come-up.

Pooh bear likes this.