Entertainment Rob Zombie's 31 Gets NC-17 Rating Twice

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Dec 29, 2015.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Rob Zombie Is Not Enjoying The Process Of Getting 31 Rated By The MPAA
    By Sarah Myles 4 hours ago

[​IMG]

It is probably safe to say that the MPAA is not a huge fan of Rob Zombie. From House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil’s Rejects, to Halloween and The Lords Of Salem – the organization that exists to label movies according to age-appropriate content is always bound to struggle with work produced by an artist whose film work tests the boundaries of brutality and depictions of suffering. His latest project, 31, is proving to be no exception, as the MPAA has apparently assigned it an NC-17 rating, twice.

31 is a characterized as a horror-thriller and would appear to take elements of films like Saw, The Hunger Games, and anything with clowns in it, and combine them to create something altogether darker, and more disturbing.

“Five carnival workers are kidnapped the night before Halloween and held hostage in a large, secret compound known as Murder World, where they have 12 hours to survive a game called 31, in which murderous maniacs dressed as clowns are released to hunt them down and kill them.”

With the knowledge of that premise, and the fact that it is executed by Rob Zombie, an observer of the situation might be forgiven for finding the NC-17 unsurprising. However, 31 is partially crowdfunded, and, as he commented in 2014, Rob Zombie clearly has those supportive fans in mind as he does the required dance with the MPAA.

“…without fans raising funds and helping to build buzz, a crazy film like this would have been almost impossible to get off the ground. I owe the fans big time on this one.”

Skip forward to today, and the filmmaker’s frustration at the ratings process is obvious.

“Well, after two tries at through the MPAA, our rating on 31 remains NC-17. Maybe three is the charm to get an R rating. Why R, you ask? Well, because your local theatre will not show an NC-17. Even though you are a… adult… things must be censored for your enjoyment.”

This statement is interesting for three reasons. Firstly, Rob Zombie has clearly been re-editing his film according to MPAA guidance to reduce the amount of disturbing stuff in it and achieve an R rating, and he has submitted it to the organization for review twice.

Will he try a third time? It seems like a likely route for him, because of the second interesting point, which is that Rob Zombie holds his audience in such high regard. For him, fans have contributed to the project financially, and so, of course, he wants them to be able to see it in cinemas. If that means compromising to an extent to appease the MPAA, then he appears to be willing to try, at least. Whether the MPAA ultimately relents is another question.

At the present time, 31 is scheduled to premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 23rd, 2016, but it is access for the wider fandom that is giving Rob Zombie cause for concern. This concern highlights the problem with the current theatrical system – whereby the availability of films is essentially determined by the large chain cinemas. Increasingly, we can only see films at the cinema that cinema chains make room for and, arguably, this is why the move toward same-day releases on streaming channels such as Netflix is such a contentious issue. In that respect, Rob Zombie is making a very important point about the film distribution model as a whole – just by talking about 31.

Bloody Disgusting reports the NC-17 rating was given for 31's "sadistic graphic violence, freaky sexuality/nudity, pervasive disturbing images and some strong language"
    [​IMG]

The Nothing 19 likes this.
  2. face palm

face palm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    34 :cheer:

Ingens likes this.
  3. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    I'm 36!

boognishstern likes this.
  4. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Zombie bailed on his Broad Street Bullies movie about the Philadelphia Flyers, fuck him!

John Mahlin likes this.
  5. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Fuck them Rob.....Just release uncut it and you'll have an instant cult classic.....

6. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    his movies all sucked , lords of salem was the most slightly passable one

7. boognishstern

Reputations:
    me too as of yesterday!:beer:

Mark Mayonnaise likes this.
  8. Mark Mayonnaise

Reputations:
    Shut up dirtybutt, Rejects and Halloween 1 were tits

9. Mojopin

Mojopin Resplendent in his frock VIP

Reputations:
    I'm glad he did. He's a shit director.

I'd love to see a real director/writer take on a Bullies movie.

10. Pussy Tendon

Pussy Tendon Wet! CUNT!!!!! Gold

Reputations:
    How can I get publicity for my movie... Hmmmm

11. boognishstern

Reputations:
    I loved 'the devil's rejects' & the workprint of 'halloween'.

12. ScottBaiosPenis

Reputations:
    the real Halloween pt1 is actually something worth studying for anyone with an interest in filmmaking, and editing , rob zombie's was a bunch of rednecks yelling fuck 100mins and nothing happening.
    devils rejects gets a D- would be an F but the cast was better than the movie deserved

13. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    F-him. Still haven't forgiven him for that Private Parts piece of shit song that he recorded with Howard "Use-Overdrive-and-Mountains-of-Compression-to-Coverup-the-Fact-I-Can't-Sing" Stern. It's like nails on the chalkboard.

Caffeinated likes this.
  14. Mark Mayonnaise

Reputations:
    I love the original but what he did with the backstory of little Mikey Myers was awesome

boognishstern likes this.
  15. ScottBaiosPenis

Reputations:
    he likes trash movies, so do I, sadly he doesn't have the slightest clue what makes them entertaining. ive seen a lot of filmmakers do what he was trying to do but actually do a good job of it, "Dear God No!" (2011) is a good example

funnymoney and boognishstern like this.
  16. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I'll see it!

Zach and boognishstern like this.
  17. boognishstern

Reputations:
    dude, try to find the workprint or directors cut of rob's 'halloween' (not sure what it's called...it's unavailable commercially). the first half is all little mikey in the nuthouse with malcolm mcdowell treating him & you see the slow descent . it's really good, more drama than horror & much better than the theatrical.

18. Zach

Zach Say10 Says Smile

Reputations:
    I can't wait to see it

Freedom Fries and boognishstern like this.
  19. boognishstern

Reputations:
    agree with everything you said about the original 'halloween'. I really want Carpenter to do something else good before he dies. his last high points were his 'masters of horror' eps. 'the ward' sucked imo.

ScottBaiosPenis likes this.
  20. Shart Garfunkel

Shart Garfunkel I brought the magic suitcase Gold

Reputations:
    His wife has a nice heinie! :grad:

BrerJimmy likes this.