Robin to Howard: "You've Always Tried to Deepen Your Voice"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Benjamen, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard played a promotional clip for software that can deepen your voice "to sound like sportscasters or Howard Stern." Howard said he never thought of himself as a guy with a deep voice, and guessed it must have gotten deeper as he's aged. Robin reminded him that he's always tried to deepen his voice. But before she could elaborate, Howard said he thinks it's important that a voice sound pleasant on the air, and they left it at that.

Voice observations from over the years:

• After the first broadcast of The History of Howard Stern, Howard received lots of questions about the high-pitched voice he had in the 1970s and '80s. He claimed that he was so stressed out from management that it would close up his throat and cause him to speak in a high pitch. He now tells this story about once a month, but I don't remember him ever saying anything like that until those old tapes were played.
    • Howard had vocal coaching in the late '80s or early '90s -- to get rid of his New York accent, he says. But this is when his voice got deeper. When he met High Pitch Eric in the '90s, Howard gave specific advice on how he could lower his speaking voice, and recommended Eric see a vocal coach.
    • Howard admits to using compression so that he doesn't cause his voice unnecessary stress, and requires a specific microphone to create the Howard Stern tone.
    • Jerry Seinfeld asked Howard how he developed a low register voice for radio. Howard gave his bullshit stressed out story -- this time including social situations, not just management-related stress. He said he tried a lot of vocal things to learn how to relax, and that his voice eventually became low once he stopped caring so much. Jerry, not buying it, said Howard has a very broad octave range.
    • When he popped in to talk to Rosie O'Donnell on her Sirius show a few years ago, Scott the Engineer had to accompany him, to adjust the equipment to Howard's specific needs.
    • Over the years callers have been confused when Howard picks up their call, saying his voice over the phone sounds nothing like the voice that goes over the air.
    • High Pitch Howard never shows up in reruns. The Tapes Team play the old stuff at a slower speed, which deepens Howard's (and everyone else's) voice.

2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Was I pranked?
    Was that a commercial or some type of barter payola?
    :bigcry:

3. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Toni = Fake hair
    Scott = Fake voice

4. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    BTW Howard appears high pitched on some of the old tapes because the taping process was set up before the stern compression.
    I remember him yelling at Scott about that in the 90's

5. Benjamen

Reputations:
    It sounded to me like a user-made YouTube video demonstrating how to use software. How that showed up on Howard's radar is a mystery.

6. Benjamen

Reputations:
    I always used to wonder why the clip of Gary saying Baba Booey for the first time ever sounded like Satan himself. There must have been some trickery going on with the settings even then.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  7. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Robin challenging Howard in 2014? Listen, Robin is around.

8. Bethstampon

Bethstampon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    His voice is a constant whine without Proper Prank Modulation.

9. HorsetoothBeth

HorsetoothBeth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    3:00 in. :giggle: I miss Jackie.

[video=youtube;B7pux0_5cZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pux0_5cZU&list=PLD2CAD0D2E0FC7E07[/video]

10. mtomkovi

mtomkovi New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    You people here are crazy and rude. Howard show has evolved with the times. Her has matured as a person, so why should he still act like he did when he was 40. He has a loving gorgeous wife who does great work with animals and brought out another side of howard. All he did was open up with honesty to show his compassionate side. How can u hate when someone is honest. Plus his interviews are second to none. It's good to see him in such a happy place. So I beg all of you here to stop the bullying and give his show another try.

11. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Who's this rube?

12. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    Michael McKean did a great impression of Howard through the years. Starting off more high pitch and then going lower over the years.

13. slab0meat

slab0meat negative creep

Reputations:
    You posted this same post in another thread! Are you trying to pull a fast one? Why you...... !

14. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I love the creativity of cut/pasting the same exactly lines in multiple threads.
    [​IMG]

15. Bethstampon

Bethstampon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Dis Haji looking to get a promotion! I admire the "go-getter" attitude and hope your supervisor Mr. Devlawalliabad takes notice! :crazy2:

16. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They played a really old clip once of Howard on a radio station in Hartford (WCCC?). He sounded like a girl.

17. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I heard the same thing about a Toronto dj. Callers never knew they were talking to the same guy, same with Howard's callers not knowing they are on air.

Is Howard going bring Scott to FL 3 days a week to oversee his proper modulation?

18. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    :jj:

19. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    I have lots of old shows.
    The over compression on howards voice makes some of the old shows UN-listen-able.
    The fake deep Howard voice evolved with technology

20. Imus O Sternsky

Imus O Sternsky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    [h=2]Robin to Howard: "You've Always Tried to Deepen Your Voice"[/h]Always tries to deepen his pockets too. Robin I want to sound deep but not look cheap. :oy2: