Rocksmith video game

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by NyMarkNy, Feb 9, 2015.

1. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Anyone ever try it? What were the results like? What was your beginning experience before getting it?

I want to learn guitar, never played before, but my schedule is far too hectic to get a teacher. I have heard some good reviews, some bad so I'm holding off on buying it for now. The convenience of playing whenever you find time is a huge plus though.

2. BarberFloyd

BarberFloyd God Bless DuPont Chemicals Banned User

Reputations:
    I did a lot of research into it and basically it teaches you how to play songs but you don't get any of the music theory crap to go along with it. So yes, you can play
    Smoke On The Water but you won't know why. It teaches you muscle memory in a very poor and repetitive fashion and you don't learn chords or anything.

So from really learning guitar you should be able to switch from Smoke On The Water to Stairway To Heaven but you won't be able to because you just memorized where your fingers need to be instead of learning what your fingers are actually doing there.

You should really do more research, the majority of music nerds out there will tell you to download better programs which are not only free but which teach you more then Rocksmith does. A lot of them are community based with people commenting and giving tips on thousands of songs.

Also I hear all the greats are just self-taught, would be interesting/unrealistic in a decade to hear a kid in a band during a interview say he learned it all from a video game, it's just not going to happen Johnny.
    A lot of video game nerds are already metal-heads/dead-heads with actually a lot of talent. When your not sitting in front of World of Warcraft you can pull up a program teaching you chords so you put down the keyboard and pick up a guitar. You should just google "honest review of Rocksmith" you won't get far before someone gives you a link to a good chord program.

Learning a instrument, like working out, is only rewarding if you do it the right way, taking short-cuts are just going to be expensive and fuck you over.

3. NyMarkNy

Reputations:
    Good info. Thank you!

4. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    Bought it for my son two years ago... I started just shy of year prior to that.

Everyone learns a bit differently, but save your money and find a good instructor.

Seriously... learn the basics, and practice, practice, practice!!!

Then practice more.

If you are ever going to really want to be a serious player, take theory as well.

Trust me on this... I come from a family of musicians, and took piano and music theory from 2nd grade to age 17 when I joined the Navy.

NyMarkNy likes this.
  5. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    Are you looking at that guitar right now??

Pick it UP!!

Practice forming a G, C, E, and A major chords.

DO IT!! Even if you only do it ten minutes a day... do it!!

NyMarkNy and Limo Wreck like this.
  6. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    I found it horrible. The best thing to do is hit up YouTube, you can pause and rewind as needed without the song running away. I knew chords but was hoping to learn bar chords from it. Threw it in the closet after two days and it hasn't moved since. I definitely wouldn't reccomed it to a total newbie.

smichal likes this.
  7. Dan

Dan Do you like my car?

Reputations:
    From what I gather in this thread it sounds like a bad way to learn, but for those who can play, it seems like it would be cool as a cheap alternative to buying an amp and multiple effects pedals. Especially for those who live in cramped apartments and don't want to blast away their neighbors.

8. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    I took lessons and played for years then took a couple of years off. For me, it is fun as a game and helped me rebuild some strength and agility. It is a fun game. But when it comes to building musicianship, like said above, there's great youtube videos to teach you with good old practice.
    Depends what your goals are though.

9. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i have no idea what that is, but depends what u trying to do. lead, rhythm, or bass? learn to play a few songs or learn how to figure out and play any song, or write yer own songs?
    serious about it, or just wana fk around with it?
    but dont buy a low end new guitar. and its important u start properly as bad habits may stay with u

10. NyMarkNy

Reputations:
    I basically want to get to the point where I can play my favorite songs. Im not really interested in writing music, just to be able to maybe bullshit a bit and play the songs I like. Id like to learn lead guitar so that I can also eventually learn some of those impossible solos, but my goal is to be comfortable pulling up some tabs on the comp and being able to play.

The biggest issue I've read about the game, and the analysis here is a lot more I'm depth than some others as to what it doesn't teach you as a musician, is that you have to see the notes and when learning, look down at the guitar. So its very difficult to see the notes and react because you don't have a feel for the guitar, finger placement, which fingers to use when going from lets say the 3rd to then the 7th then 9th fret. Ive seen people say that they played for 2 months and were only using 2 fingers because that was all that was comfortable because the game doesn't cover proper finger placement.

11. NyMarkNy

Reputations:
  12. scoobyla

Reputations:
    i think i would scrap that game.
    who are some of your fav bands?

it wont be fun, but i think u should learn fundamentals, then later its easier and funner to learn and play songs.
    i play guitar ina local band, and im probably a terrible teacher, but
    i think u should just start low E string with finger 1, fret 1
    then finger 2 fret 2, finger 3 fret 3, finger 4 fret 4.
    do it real slow, the key now is smooth timing and clean notes.
    do not remove any fingers when playing the next note, when all 4 played, remove 1 finger at a time going back.
    and use alternate picking strokes. when mastered increase speed a little and start going down all the strings and back
    try to get yer fingers near center of frets and on the tips. dont b lazy like gary sleeping at work, itl pay off later

13. NyMarkNy

Reputations:
    I could say I'm a happy man if I could play Everlong. Not exactly the stairway solo, but its a song I've always wanted to learn to play. But I'm going to try that guy says, those 5 chords and being able to switch from chord to chord. At least ill learn basic hand placement and get comfortable switching, finding the frets without looking, etc.

Did you take a look at that link I posted? Interested to hear thoughts.

Btw look at this. Scooby and I getting along talking about guitar.

14. hoochieking

hoochieking Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The head designer was black so it's not for you sorry racist :hw:

15. NyMarkNy

Reputations:
  16. scoobyla

Reputations:
    i didnt see the link, but i hope the open E and open A are there.
    those are key and u can play about 95% of all rock songs with just those 2 chord forms.

be more concerned with clean notes/chords and smooth switching and even timing, go really slow. pls dont try fumble thru it quickly.
    if the strings are hard to fret, retune down a whole step until u learn (i assume u know how string n tune it)

17. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    This guy is spot on, it's how I learned and you would be surprised how many songs you can play with those few chords. I also agree with the comments above, the game is good for an amp if you're cramped for space and it will also help people that know how to play pick up speed and finger strength.

NyMarkNy likes this.
  18. NyMarkNy

Reputations:
    It shows E and A minor. I have a background in music from when I was younger, but it was mainly wind instruments so I never played any string. But I'm going to buy a guitar tomorrow and get started with those basic 5 chords to get comfortable.

19. scoobyla

Reputations:
    please dont buy a new low end guitar. cause it will suck, be hard play, not stay in tune, and have no resale value.
    try to find a good used fender or gibson. or other name brand. check to make sure string height is uniform from 1 to 12th fret

20. NyMarkNy

Reputations:
    I love the look of a fender strat standard, was considering going with that. Decent bet?