Roger Daltrey threatens to walk out of gig after smelling marijuana

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, May 22, 2015.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Roger Daltrey threatens to walk out of The Who gig after smelling marijuana – watch
    Frontman is allergic to the drug

[​IMG]
    Photo: Getty

The Who's Roger Daltrey almost walked off stage in the middle of a gig in New York this week after smelling a fan smoking marijuana.

As seen in the video below, Daltrey told audience members at the Nassau Colliseum on Wednesday (May 20) that "the show will be over" unless the person smoking stopped. "It's your choice, I can't do anything about it. I'm doing my best."

Having explained that he is allergic to the smoke and that it causes problems with his vocal performance, fans began chanting "eat it" while bandmate Pete Townshend suggested he uses the drug using rectal administration, "Up your fucking arse," Daltrey said, suggesting "it's the quickest way."

Newsday reports that Daltrey’s vocal performance was noticeably inhibited by the smoke: "The smoke's impact was almost immediate on his voice, which went from crystal clear and potent for the opening ‘I Can’t Explain’ to something rougher and more limited during ‘I Can See for Miles.’"

Pete Townshend of The Who recently claimed reiterated that he doesn’t enjoy playing live. He stated:"I always feel very sad when I say this because I think I’m unusual in this respect. People don’t really believe me. But I don’t enjoy performing. I don’t feel uplifted on the stage. I rarely have moments these days onstage when I go into what jazz musicians call ‘the zone.’ I rarely lose myself on the stage.”

It was recently announced that the Who will be the third, and final, headliner for Glastonbury 2015. The band – currently marking their 50th anniversary – will headline the festival, with Paul Weller performing in the slot directly before them. The two acts will perform on the Pyramid Stage on Sunday (June 28) and join fellow headliners Kanye West and Foo Fighters on the bill.

2. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    you hit a certain age and a certain point in life and or career and you can get away with shit a 20 year old can't

it's the single nice thing about getting older--you can tell the world to fuck off and still have a roof over your head and food in your belly

3. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    "Hope I die before I get old."

4. christ cracker

christ cracker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    allergic??!!! :eek:

teehee likes this.
  5. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I guess "your generation" has become whiny littles bitches......Pete and Roger may be having issues with the trappings of a typical rock concert BECAUSE THEY ARE 70 FUCKING YEARS OLD!!!!! Retire already, half the band is dead anyway, you aren't The Who without Keith and John.

6. Stevedolphin

Stevedolphin Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think he is doing that at every show as a warning.Saw them in Chicago last week,still sound awesome and full of energy.

7. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I wonder if the staff is allowed to look at them in the hallway.

8. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    yeah roger, it's the smoke that made your voice weaker. the fact that you're pretty old has nothing to do with it.

RenchFries, cetiya, Wangold and 5 others like this.
  9. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    James Hetfield once commented at a concert in Toronto that he knows he's in Canada from all the smoke in the place. The whole place was hot boxed.

10. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wow. So rock n roll..

RenchFries likes this.
  11. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    hes grumpy, hasn't taken a good shit in days

RenchFries and GloriaGrace like this.
  12. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    No clapping or whistling either. Oh, and don't move his walker. And grandpa likes the red checkers pieces, not the black ones.

Maybe he should just perform from within a plastic bubble, since all these crazy kids are loud and don't reverentially listen to his stories any more.

[​IMG]

13. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They were here a week ago. I watched them on AXS TV from New Orleans a couple of weeks ago and Daltrey sounded like shit. Not the 'he's just older and singing lower' kind of shit, but more like the 'he can't hit anything and he's trying to change his register in the middle of the song' shit. They ended up canceling a couple of shows before Chicago to rest his voice. He yelled at people in Chicago for smoking and didn't even come out for the finale, My Generation, which Eddie Vedder sung. As a huge Who fan, there was no way I was going to watch my heroes going out like that, so I passed on the C-bus show. My buddies kept sending me videos during the evening and telling me how great it sounded but when I was playing them back the next day, they admitted that maybe Roger didn't sound as good as they thought.

RenchFries and austin54 like this.
  14. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    And don't bother sending him any fan mail or things to be signed. He's much too busy !!!
    Peace and Love !

Craignor, scoobyla and bea miller like this.
  15. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    I'm going to see this guy play on Sunday night.
    My guess is he won't be whining about any 'smoke' in the air.

[​IMG]

16. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    Daltry hasn't been able to sing well for decades..

Thikken Vaney likes this.
  17. The Jackie chair

The Jackie chair Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Roger Daltry at home...[​IMG]

18. sternadamsapple

sternadamsapple Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I saw them in Dallas in 2006 and the really knocked it out of the park. No band has a better set list for live shows than the Who...loud and powerful. I had been worried about Daltrey's voice as it was late in the tour, but he sounded great. I then purchased the audio of the concert to listen again...and he sounded like absolute crap. The power and emotion (and volume) of the live show covered it quite well.

RenchFries likes this.
  19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    The guy is allergic to smoke. If you were you'd know that it instantly seizes up things in the airway. I can barely talk when around cigarette smoke. Not sure about marijuana, it's been a while. It's not like it's something you can just will yourself to ignore. Allergies develop and can change as you age.

20. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    What kind of fucking chump would smoke weed at a concert in this day in age? That's what vaporizers are for, numbskull.

bea miller likes this.