ruh roh another ebola case in dallas

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by geo, Oct 12, 2014.

1. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  2. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said a "breach of protocol" caused a health care worker at a Dallas hospital to preliminarily test positive for Ebola.

The health care worker, a female nurse at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, had "extensive contact" on multiple occasions with Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S., who died last week, Dr. Tom Frieden said in a press conference Sunday.

If the preliminary diagnosis is confirmed, it would be the first known case of the disease being contracted or transmitted in the U.S.

Frieden said confirmatory testing is under way and will be completed later Sunday.

"We are assessing her possible contacts from the moment she discovered symptoms," Frieden said, adding that the nurse believes she had contact with only one person after becoming infected.

Frieden said the preliminary test indicates the levels of the virus are low in the nurse's system.

He said the CDC is evaluating other health care workers who may have had the same breach of protocol as the nurse.

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said at a press conference Sunday morning that city officials expected it was possible that a second person could contract the virus.

"Contingency plans were put into place," he said.

Jenkins said he wanted to stress Ebola cannot be contracted unless one comes into contact with the bodily fluids of an Ebola victim.

"You cannot contract it by walking by people on the streets," he said. "There is nothing about this case that changes that basic premise of science."

Dr. Daniel Varga, of the Texas Health Resource, said the worker was in full protective gear when they provided care to Duncan during his second visit to the hospital.

Varga said the family of the worker has "requested total privacy."

Varga said the health care worker reported a fever Friday night as part of a self-monitoring regimen required by the CDC.

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said the Dallas Fire Department's rescue hazmat team has decontaminated any open areas of the health care worker's apartment complex.

"Police are standing by to make sure no one enters that apartment complex," he said.

Rawlings said officials have knocked on every door within a block of the apartment and have spoken with every person that came to the door. Reverse 911 calls have been made to residents within four blocks of the apartment complex and printed materials have been left at each door, he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...-at-dallas-hospital-tests-positive-for-ebola/

A team has decontaminated and secured the vehicle the health care worker drove to the hospital. Rawlings said hazmat units will go into the worker's apartment and clean up the interior Sunday.

"We had this plan in place last week, so when we got this phone call, which we thought we might get, we put an action team in place," Rawlings said.

"We knew a second case could be a reality, and we've been preparing for this possibility," said Dr. David Lakey, commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services. "We are broadening our team in Dallas and working with extreme diligence to prevent further spread."

Health officials have interviewed the patient and are identifying any contacts or potential exposures. They said people who had contact with the health care worker after symptoms emerged will be monitored based on the nature of their interactions and the potential they were exposed to the virus.

Ebola spreads through close contact with a symptomatic person's bodily fluids, such as blood, sweat, vomit, feces, urine, saliva or semen. Those fluids must have an entry point, like a cut or scrape, or someone touching the nose, mouth or eyes with contaminated hands, or being splashed. The World Health Organization says blood, feces and vomit are the most infectious fluids, while the virus is found in saliva mostly once patients are severely ill. The whole live virus has never been culled from sweat, WHO says.

Duncan, the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S., died Wednesday in Dallas. Duncan, 42, grew up next to a leper colony in Liberia and fled years of war before later returning to his country to find it ravaged by the disease that ultimately took his life.

Duncan arrived in Dallas in late September, realizing a long-held ambition to join relatives. He came to attend the high-school graduation of his son, who was born in a refugee camp in Ivory Coast and was brought to the U.S. as a toddler when the boy's mother successfully applied for resettlement.

The trip was the culmination of decades of effort, friends and family members said. But when Duncan arrived in Dallas, though he showed no symptoms, he had already been exposed to Ebola. His neighbors in Liberia believe Duncan become infected when he helped a pregnant neighbor who later died from it. It was unclear if he knew about her diagnosis before traveling.

Duncan had arrived at a friend's Dallas apartment on Sept. 20 -- less than a week after helping his sick neighbor. For the nine days before he was taken to a hospital in an ambulance, Duncan shared the apartment with several people.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

3. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    wgaf/wgas

4. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I've watched a lot of football games at the San Francisco Rose right next door to her apartment :nooo:

5. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    I'll bet she's fat

6. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    rip, dallas dawg's poster

7. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    sonofabitch it's butcher :hw:

8. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    Hey geo :butcher:

geo likes this.
  9. zingger

zingger Judge and jury Gold

Reputations:
    I'm gonna miss you LJ :bigcry:

10. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    Avenge me!!

[​IMG]

BleedingGums and DarkFriday like this.
  11. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I'm warming up my flame thrower and will be over at your place by noon.

They keep telling us that you can't catch the bug unless you contact bodily fluids and it goes into open cuts or whatever. They make no effort to pinpoint how this person caught it other than having "Extensive contact," with the dead ebola dude. What did she do, blow him?

They also say that they had kind of expected a second victim and had prepared for it. Interesting that they didn't make that public before the second victim was revealed. Wouldn't it have prevented some panic by saying, "There might be a second victim but we are on top of it....."

The whole country looks like a bunch of bumbling fools right now in the way they are reacting to this. Now they are taking temperatures of people at 6 airports as they come in from several countries. Want to go to New York? Sorry, they are taking temperatures at JFK, you'll have to fly to Nerk or LaGuardia. Who do they think they will catch? What if I was exposed 14 days ago and my temperature hasn't risen yet?

Shamrock12 and DarkFriday like this.
  12. gwartney

Reputations:
    They've been telling us for years that this is the fucking plague that will wipe the planet. Now that it's here, it's not all that contagious and you have nothing to worry about. Fuck that. I wish I trusted our government more. I'm a bipartisan non-truster.

DarkFriday likes this.
  13. zingger

Reputations:
    Our country is fucked. We spend so much time fighting off little colds and flus with shots and such that our bodies aren't capable of fighting anything off on it's own. A disease like Ebola is gonna eat us for lunch.

14. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    I've made my thoughts on the competence and honesty of our local and federal officials quite clear over the years.

Hell, at least the upside on this is that the general public may get a crash course on the functions of exponents and then figure out why inflation is bad, not good.

That may be a reach though.

zingger likes this.
  15. gwartney

Reputations:
    I hope Judge Jenkins catches it next.

16. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    that reminds me i need to buy more fucking hand sanitizer :facepalm:

17. zingger

Reputations:
    Peanut free no doubt.

geo likes this.
  18. imtayayk

imtayayk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the way i see it either #1 the government is totally useless and cant protect anyone from anything #2 this is all bullshit and being done to scare us and piss everyone off #3 its real and being done to kill us all, scare us and piss everyone off so our rights can be further taken. no matter how you look at it... we are fucked.

gwartney likes this.
  19. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
  20. HOLIC

HOLIC MADMAN

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Gomez and Neesie like this.