Entertainment Rush Limbaugh & Clear Channel Feel the Burn

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Captain, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Apparently, Howard's competition in the sound sphere is facing some woes. When I look at the stock trajectory of SIRIUS, I'm not sure I see a big difference between where Howard is and where Rush is, though it seems like Howard gets a pass for all his bullshit. Dont get it.

Rush Limbaugh hit where it hurts: World’s greatest troll faces steep pay cut
    The shock jock inked a whopping $400-million deal in 2008. It will go down as one of the worst contracts in history

http://www.salon.com/2016/04/14/rus...s_greatest_troll_faces_steep_pay_cut_partner/

One of the favorite pastimes for sports fans is commiserating over the worst contract their home team ever made; guffawing over management’s decision to waste tens of millions of dollars for a player who never justified the huge payday. (See: Gilbert Arenas.) For talk radio, there’s probably only one contract that enters that realm of notoriety: Rush Limbaugh’s eight-year, $400-million deal, signed in the summer of 2008 with his longtime radio employer Premiere Radio Networks.

Owned by Clear Channel Communications, which has since changed its name to iHeartRadio, Premiere’s Limbaugh deal instantly dwarfed any payout in AM/FM history. (Only Howard Stern’s contract with Sirius was larger.) The contract, which included a staggering $100 million signing bonus, never panned out as the wheels began to come off Limbaugh’s radio empire.

This year, his contract is up and the timing couldn’t be worse. The talker is facing ratings hurdles, aging demographics, and an advertising community that increasingly views him as toxic, thanks in part to his days-long sexist meltdown over Sandra Fluke in 2012. (He’s also stumbling through the GOP primary season.)

Concurrently, iHeartRadio’s parent company, iHeartMedia, is heading to court, teetering on bankruptcy. The once-dominant radio behemoth is saddled with $20 billion in debt, thanks to a misguided leveraged takeover engineered by Bain Capital in 2008, the same year the radio giant inked its disastrous Limbaugh deal.

Today those two defining missteps from the past are crossing paths, which means Limbaugh’s radio future has never looked less bright. This, as Limbaugh passes his 65th birthday, which seems to mirror his audience’s age.

“Who would even want someone whose audience is aging and is considered toxic to many advertisers,” asked RadioInsight last year.

Some industry insiders are wondering if his AM days are over and if Limbaugh’s futures rest with satellite radio, where advertiser indifference wouldn’t penalize him. The problem? His audience is so old. “With the aging and decline of Limbaugh’s audience, Sirius may not be as viable an option as it once was,” Darryl Parks tells Media Matters. A former talk radio host, programmer, and self-identified Republican, Parks writes about the industry at DarrylParksBlog.

Indeed, the conservative talk radio format has morphed into the Classic Rock of talk; super-serving the same aging demo for the last twenty-plus years.

“Everything needs to evolve, but stations, conservative talk hosts and programmers have decided to double down and focus on the aging Baby Boomers,” says Parks. “When a group is no longer appealing to advertisers, that spells the end of any radio format.”

The former Clear Channel network owns 850 radio stations across the country and the syndication rights to right-wing stars such as Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity.

During the late 1990s and early 2000s the company, feasting on the fruits of media deregulation, gorged itself with profits. (It also bullied the music business for years.)

Since then, not so much. And what a brutal ride it’s been for investors:

Clear Channel stock price, January 2000: $90.

Clear Channel stock value, April 2007: $39.

iHeartMedia stock price, July 2011: $8.30.

iHeartMedia stock price at close of yesterday: $1.15.

The company hasn’t reported a profit since 2007.

2. Vincenzo69

Vincenzo69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Couldn't happen to a better company or a better person.

rabbigottfried, freds, h78 and 4 others like this.
  3. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I don't watch these political shows or listen to political talk radio
    but 20 years ago Limbaugh was a guy who I knew--he had that little tv show and you hear his name
    mentioned in other media and stuff

now---last I really heard any juice on the dude was when he called that whore a whore

nothing lasts forever is all I'm saying

4. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    I invented that likes this.
  5. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    Loodles Taffner. :taffer:

JameGumb likes this.
  6. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    #airamericaradio:giggle:

7. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    But I always hear what a great company Bain Capital is especially when it was run by "job creator" Mitt Romney?

8. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great, right-wing radio stayed profitable just long enough to poison the well of political discourse in the this country.

The Limbaughs and Hannitys and Savages couldn't disappear quickly enough for my taste.

But leave Medved. He's smart and sane.

Humongous and Mlaw like this.
  9. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Funny that is article is from Salon didn't they just fire a bunch of people because of how shitty their site is doing.

Lets hope all these assholes are losing money fuck all of them on all sides

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  10. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fat fuck needs to have a heart attack already

11. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:

Good eye. I missed that part. Private equity firms: heads they win, tails you lose.

Humongous and kinneyjames like this.
  12. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    They are a sham, create nothing and rape companies and walk away rich

13. Divorce Chicken

Reputations:
    Limbaugh skews old? Shocking. He's on a bunch of a.m. stations. They skew old.

As an aside, Limbaugh single-handedly saved a.m. radio. At least for a few decades. He also offered an alternate to the DNC ass-licking media cabal of ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS/NYT/CNN. He drove libs absolutely crazy and brilliantly skewered the Clintons so badly that Bubba had to address it directly. He also called out Obungo for what he was when everyone else was jerking him off.

Has Limbaugh's time to go come? Possibly. But it's been a hell of a ride.

14. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Without a doubt, Limbaugh can call himself the "The Last of a Dying Breed". The only time I turn on AM stations is for local sports talk.

You would also think he could make a go out on his own. Didn't Beck make a shitload doing that. Not a fan of his but I'm sure he has a huge loyal base that would pay for his content.

Captain and Divorce Chicken like this.
  15. Divorce Chicken

Reputations:
    Maybe. But Limbaugh's a lot older than Beck and has a really bad hearing problem (probably caused by prescription drug use). He's got his trophy wife and mansion in Florida. If his ego would allow it, he might do a podcast like Carolla. SXM could be an option too.

Hmm. Sounds like someone else we know.

16. ZosoHitler

ZosoHitler VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Limbaugh was the single greatest thing to ever happen to the Democratic Party and Liberalism in general. Think about it, in a quarter century of Limbaugh and right wing hate radio there has only been one republican to win a presidential election, gay marriage is legal, universal healthcare is the norm, and the right has lost the argument on every single social issue (except gun control) in American culture. I don't want him going anywhere! I want him right where he is. Thank you for inadvertently turning America to the left Rush!

Captain and topcatclr like this.
  17. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    He did such an awesome job with the Clintons, Bill served two terms, Hillary became a Senator and Secretary of State, and she will be the next president :jj:

Butters Stoch likes this.
  18. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

I remember Limbaugh railing against the 'Hollywood Elite' and saying that they called the villain in Batman, 'Bane' because they wanted to demonize Romney.

I'm sure a good 90% of his audience believed it.

RUSH: Have you heard this new movie, the Batman movie, what is it, The Dark Knight Lights Up or whatever the name is. That’s right, Dark Knight Rises. Lights Up, same thing. Do you know the name of the villain in this movie? Bane. The villain in The Dark Knight Rises is named Bane, B-a-n-e. What is the name of the venture capital firm that Romney ran and around which there’s now this make-believe controversy? Bain. The movie has been in the works for a long time. The release date’s been known, summer 2012 for a long time. Do you think that it is accidental that the name of the really vicious fire breathing four eyed whatever it is villain in this movie is named Bane?

Captain and Humongous like this.
  19. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Take away politics from am radio =

20. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

I don't think SXM would be an option.

I picture his audience sitting in their assisted living facilities, listening to Rush on their transistor radios.

I don't see them being able to install satellite in those places.

Divorce Chicken likes this.