Amazon Prime

"sales"

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by vaginapoosie, Nov 8, 2012.

1. vaginapoosie

vaginapoosie black magic woman VIP

Reputations:
    since black friday is soon approaching i thought this would be a nice story to share. it's about something we all know that happens, but rarely get that instance where we see proof of it.

so sears/k-mart sent out a $10 credit that lasted for 3 days for those (i guess) they believed were affected by hurricane sandy. luckily, we were in the eye of the storm and nothing happened.

anyway, so i wanted to use it up because, hey-- free money, you know? i had to buy pyrex containers anyway for food storage for my raw vegan food livin', so went out last night to sears.

i get there and see that there's this nice 10 piece set. there's a sticker below the box on the shelf saying it's $21.99.

oh, but wait-- better news!--

i look to the left and also see the "sale" sign saying that the original price of the set was originally $28.99, but they reduced it to... $24.99...???

needless to say i made sure they gave it to me for the $21.99 (which after the $10 discount i really got it for $11.99-- tax free, too, since i went to DE). but i just thought it was hilarious how sears/k-mart was trying to be all "generous" and give $10 out to many of the people affected by hurricane sandy, yet made sure to boost their prices before everyone went shopping. what asshats.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. zhukov

zhukov His brain is gone, Jim VIP

Reputations:
    k mart :facepalm: :facepalm:

sears :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

3. nserafini

nserafini Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Duh. Millions of insurance claims from sandy will mean a rise in everybody's bill.

Companies don't get rich by giving shit away.

4. nserafini

Reputations:
    And this. Black and poor is no way to go thru like, son.

5. Reggae Mistress

Reggae Mistress VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I can't remember the last time I was in either store.

6. nserafini

Reputations:
    When I was poor

7. gwartney

gwartney Naturally Autodidactic Gold

Reputations:
    Sears has good tools :grad:

8. nserafini

Reputations:
    The craftsman store used to be separate from the regular store.

And get some Mac tools.

9. Reggae Mistress

Reputations:
    I am a bargain shopper but don't think crap is a bargain.

10. nserafini

Reputations:
    I love the dollar store. Party city costs like $50 for stuff, for $4 I get everything I need. When I need aluminum pans for food, dollar store. But I don't go buying the dollar store tomato sauce or frozen pizzas.

11. gwartney

gwartney Naturally Autodidactic Gold

Reputations:
    I don't believe I would know where to go to buy them around here.

12. vaginapoosie

Reputations:
    hey-- FREE money. you have to be stupid not to go to the store and use their $10-- especially if you need something. you mean you all rather just say "keep your $10" than go use it? i needed pyrex dishes, so you think it's better to go spend the full price at williams-sonoma for something overpriced than get a $10 credit for the same exact thing?

13. vaginapoosie

Reputations:
    you'd have to be desperate to buy food from a dollar store franchise.

14. Reggae Mistress

Reputations:
    Me too! The best dollar stores are Dollar Trees. I have adopted platoons in Kuwait and Afghanistan and I can get them a ton of stuff (toiletries, paper products, etc...not food) from the dollar store versus any other store. It adds up for them without killing my wallet.

15. nserafini

Reputations:
    Ugh. They pray for people like you. There's no such thing as free money. Them comping you $10 is their way of getting $20 out of you. So they just made $7 on an item it cost them $3 to sell. And then you're there, so you will probably buy some other stuff. So you spend another $20. So now you just spent $40 because you got $10 off your bill. If you never had that $10 coupon you would never gone and given them your $40.

They win. They always win. Btw, I. Love this game, keeps my lights on.

16. Reggae Mistress

Reputations:
    Reminds me of the playful argument I have with Mr Reggae all the time. I'll say "it was on sale" or "I had a gift card" and I "saved X amount of money" and he laughs and said I would have saved even more if I didn't buy it in the first place.
    Catching the store inflating prices before the sale, especially in a devastated area, is just really shitty on the store's part.

17. vaginapoosie

Reputations:
    but i didn't buy anything else-- i went into it knowing that's the only thing i'd buy from them. also, if the set i wanted was about $20 at every store out there, give or take a couple of dollars, how are they making out? it's not like i could go to another store and find the same product for the $3 they bought it for. every store is going to sell it for about the same price. so i made out, because i got it for half the price. i understand what you mean, but i was specifically looking for pyrex dishes. they cost about the same everywhere. if i was looking just for "glass dishes" in general, then sure-- i'd probably end up getting cheap shit from china (although china now, i think, makes pyrex, so bad example... the good pyrex used to be made in the USA) and i wouldn't go to some place like sears or k-mart or wal-mart, etc. when i buy something, i usually get "the best" because i don't feel like re-buying something again a year later. so what's the big deal if i wanted to get my pyrex dishes half off? i don't get you.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  18. vaginapoosie

Reputations:
    oh, i just looked up pyrex and it's still made in the USA, but there's something different about them that has to do with china. my ex-boyfriend once tried to steal my old pyrex dishes because he saw they were the "old" pyrex dishes which were supposed to be better... i'll have to google this to jog my memory because supposedly there's a huge difference between the pyrex now vs. the pyrex of the like 80's or something.

ETA: i think i found what he was talking about: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

19. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Can I kick it?!?! VIP

Reputations:
    This, it's like stepping into another world...the third world.

20. vaginapoosie

Reputations:
    okay, well next time i need to buy something i'm going to make sure to set up a paypal button here so all you rich folk can pay for my kitchen wares.