Sam Simon tweets link to posts on SFN talking about how Howard enabled people like Artie & Hank

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by yourmomanddad, Feb 26, 2015.

1. yourmomanddad

yourmomanddad Active Member

Reputations:
  2. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    Great link, thanks

3. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Finally someone with nothing to lose breaks ranks. Don't know why Sam gets such shit here.

smichal, 3DayWorkWeek, OV and 8 others like this.
  4. BatmiteReturns

BatmiteReturns Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wow, Sam has nothing to lose.

Good for him!

5. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:
    He is a 100% pure asshole. That is why he gets shit.

I'm sure those of who don't like him will be honest enough to admit if we agree with him on the enabling. In general I think it is bullshit but I look forward to reading. No one tied up Hank and made him come in. No one made Artie come to work. Howard has a lot of flaws but he is under no responsibility to take care of these broken humans.

Off to read some hopefully juicy Sam Simon rage.

6. N Copter

Reputations:
    Hmmmmmm...didn't know until I clicked on the link that it was SFN. Was hoping it was Sam up to some anger

7. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:

You are retarded, he linked a thread about Artie talking about leaving the show

Richard Tucker likes this.
  8. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    You do realize that that mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, husbands and wives, friends and lovers, colleagues and doctors, enable addicts. They do it as a result of ignorance, denial, fear, hope and 100's of other motivations, none of which (except in very rare cases) is evil

Sanctuary, youknew and broccoli rob like this.
  9. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Okay forget "enabling". Let's settle and agree on the much clearer "exploiting" then.

smichal, ARM, PelicanWig and 6 others like this.
  10. N Copter

Reputations:
    As with any relationship there is a give and take. Artie didn't have to keep coming and getting paid. Hank didn't have to show up to be on the show. They both had their reasons and "used" Howard for their needs the same way he "used" them for his.

AmishGirl likes this.
  11. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Will Howard address this?

12. yourmomanddad

Reputations:
    He linked to page 3 which were specific discussions about Howard enabling guys like Artie & Hank. The discussions on that page weren't even about what Artie said on his podcast about leaving Stern.

13. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

14. Ruffypup

Ruffypup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When he was co-hosting WUS few wks ago I found it odd that he joked about his last thoughts before he dies were shaking the sweatty hands of HPE... I guess it was kinda funny but damn... just weird n shit

smichal and TeeDonkey like this.
  15. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm not getting this, Sam linked to artie saying Howard didn't exploit him. Sam's sticking up for Howard in my opinion.

16. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Both Hank and Artie were addicts. Addicts aren't exactly known to make smart life decisions.

I mean if a man pulls out a gun and says he is going to blow his brains out, you didn't force him to commit suicide if you sell tickets to people to watch him do it. But it doesn't make you a good person either.

Hank was an alcoholic who desperately needed help and Howard gave him a reason to believe that if he got drunk people would love him and make him feel worthy because Hank helped his ratings. Howard didn't make him drink, but he certainly exploited his alcoholism for the show. Through that exploitation, it enabled Hank and his behavior.

I loved the show back then, but I never felt that alcoholism was funny. Sure maybe a fake character like in the movie Arthur, but I always found Hank a sad person.

And yes, it is me in the SFN thread.

teehee, dalecooper, BethSucks and 2 others like this.
  17. yourmomanddad

Reputations:
    It's where he linked to it (page 3). Could it have been an error? Sure, but nothing on page 3 is about the original intention of the thread or Artie's audio clip. The first thing you see when you click Sam's link is "All I know is that Howard came into the studio everyday and allowed Artie to sit there strung out on Heroin. Shame on him."

18. N Copter

Reputations:

We will just very much disagree on this. Howard would be just one of the countless people in Arties and Hanks life who could be defined by you as not "good". Why is Howard more (or less) required to help any of them? If their own families can't figure out a way to help these lost souls how can Howard be expected to step in and save them?

Hank had very good reason to believe that people would love him drunk. It is because people loved him drunk. He made serious bank those last few years of his life doing bar gigs all.

People make their choices in life. These addicts aren't victims. They are weak and selfish. They destroy the family and friends they have during life and then leave a dark hole of regret after they are gone.

AmishGirl likes this.
  19. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Thank you Rob. Copter is somehow equating Hank and Artie succumbing to their mental and physical addictions with Wig coldly and calculatedly using them like circus freaks. I will never forget him literally plying both Kinison and Hank with house liquor, sometimes seemingly against their own stated better judgment. He abused and exploited them and Artie in ways far more despicable than sad fuckhead Artie snorting yet another line. On the one hand you had Artie hurting Artie. And on the other hand you had Wig hurting Artie. Equal blame?

20. Ruffypup

Ruffypup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jeff the Drunk has been sober...... Howard now call him Jeff the Bore. He needles people.

teehee and Rip mcdivvit like this.