News Sandra Bland's family sues state trooper, wants answers

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 4, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    chi-ct-sandra-bland-ct0030015155-20150720.jpg

HOUSTON – The family of a black woman found dead in a Texas jail three days after a confrontation with a white state trooper filed a wrongful-death lawsuit Tuesday against the officer and other officials, saying it was a last resort after being unable to get enough information about the case.

Sandra Bland, a Chicago-area woman, died by what authorities say was suicide in her Waller County jail cell on July 13. Her family and others previously questioned that, and criticized the trooper who stopped her for failing to signal a lane change.

"The bottom line is she never should have been inside the jail cell. Period," Bland's mother, Geneva Reed-Veal, said at a news conference. Reed-Veal, her Bible within reach, said she was confident Bland "knew enough about Jesus" that she wouldn't hang herself and her feelings as a mother say her daughter didn't. But "anything is possible," she said.

"Now I'm the first one to tell you, if the facts ... show without a doubt that that was the case, I'll have to be prepared to deal with that," she said.

Bland's death came after nearly a year of heightened national scrutiny of police and their dealings with black suspects, especially those who have been killed by officers or die in police custody.

The lawsuit, with Reed-Veal as plaintiff, seeks unspecified punitive damages "for egregious acts and omissions" by Trooper Brian Encinia, the Texas Department of Public Safety, Waller County, the sheriff's office and two jail employees.

Bland was in Prairie View, northwest of Houston, when she was stopped July 10 for a minor traffic infraction. Dashcam video shows the confrontation swiftly escalated after she objected to being told to put out her cigarette. Encinia at one point is seen holding a stun gun as he says, "I will light you up!" after Bland refuses to get out of her car. Bland eventually was arrested for allegedly assaulting the trooper.

The lawsuit contends Encinia falsified the assault allegation to take Bland into custody, that Waller County jail personnel failed to keep her safe and free from psychological injury or harm, and that she was placed in a cell "with a variety of inappropriate items for a jail cell, including a large garbage can, garbage bags, exposed beams, cords, and other items."

An autopsy determined that Bland hanged herself from a partition in the cell. Her family has previously said she was looking forward to a new job.

"In the face of Sandy being the light that she was, it is very difficult for them to get their minds around the notion that she would hurt herself," the family's attorney Cannon Lambert said. "At the same time, this family is aware of the possibility."

Lambert said the family's own autopsy has been delayed by missing information from authorities, and that information the family has received from law enforcement has been inconsistent.

"We don't have the gastric content information. We don't have the ligature. We don't have the police reports. Candidly, we don't really know the time of death," he said.

Since her death, authorities have released the findings of Bland's autopsy, her arrest affidavit, an initial toxicology report, surveillance video showing her in the jail, her jail intake records and the dash camera video.

Lambert said the family also needs to know what was done to try to help her.

The lawsuit says the Department of Public Safety failed to property train Encinia, that Waller County jail personnel failed to properly monitor Bland "to keep her safe and secure," and that the county inadequately trained jail employees on how to handle inmates who are potentially suicidal.

Larry Simmons, an attorney for Waller County, said the county would soon file a response to the lawsuit "and our court filings will clearly articulate the county's legal position in this matter."

"The county expresses its sympathy to Sandra Bland's family," Simmons said. "We look forward to presenting all the evidence to the court, in the context of the applicable standards for civil liability, and intend to vigorously defend the case."

The Department of Public Safety said in a statement it had not received notice of the lawsuit "and we do not discuss potential or pending litigation."

Lambert expressed dismay that Encinia remains on administrative leave rather than being fired. The trooper, on the force for just over a year, has been placed on leave for violating unspecified police procedures and the department's courtesy policy.

"We are asking for bold, decisive action," Lambert added. "The fact that it hasn't happened yet is a frustrating thing."

Lambert also called on the Department of Justice to launch its own investigation, saying the case needs a fresh and unbiased look.

"This family's motivation is that they don't want to see this sort of thing happen again to another family," Lambert said.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/04/sandra-bland-family-sues-state-trooper-wants-answers/

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  2. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

The accounts I read state this same family wasn't returning her calls from jail.

3. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot VIP

Reputations:
    :facepalm:

jaw_belize and Slow like this.
  4. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    Tranny face.

Slow likes this.
  5. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

TheLACritic, PI Nate, cetiya and 2 others like this.
  6. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

PI Nate likes this.
  7. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks again Obama

TheLACritic and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  8. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
  9. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Here's an answer: a cop acting in the line of duty told her to do something, and instead of doing it, she started mouthing off to him and she got her ass arrested. (The same as would happen to any person in 'Murica, be they black, white, Asian or Hispanic.)

But I'm guessing the family doesn't want to hear that answer.

10. Exit136

Exit136 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is this the same family that ignored her calls from jail? Nice.

11. mape

mape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Exactly....no one bailed her out of jail. Oh...& she killed herself. Case closed!

12. skylarbrie

skylarbrie VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    the first sign of trouble: the officer made a u -turn to pursue the lone female who had not committed a traffic violation, the second was when he deliberately walked her out of view of his dash-cam...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    aataxi, kingdavid918 and Droog like this.
  13. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
  14. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    3rd mistake, murder???? Doubtful.

cetiya and AllAboutHim Ed like this.
  15. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    #greenmoneymatters

16. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    They're certainly covering all bases. First, the possibility that she didn't kill herself and that foul play was involved. Second, if she did kill herself, then they're still at fault for not keeping an eye on her because she was suicidal. They're also guilty for leaving things in the cell that she could use to commit suicide. That should just about cover everything. One way or another, someone else is responsible.

On a side note, I think it's pathetic that a young girl who was pulled over for improper lane change should find herself in jail. Regardless of her being verbally combative, the cop did nothing to show calm restraint and instead got in a shouting match with her and threatened to light her up. My grandfather ran into a van and fled the scene. He took his car straight to the shop and called me to pick him up. When I got him home, a cop came to the door. I had no idea what had happened other than his car was smashed. The cop asked him if he was in an accident. My grandpa said he was. The cop asked why he fled and that's when my grandpa got agitated. He said he got out of his car and saw that van was a rust bucket. He said the woman driving it was at fault (she really wasn't) and he started arguing with the cop. The cop was restrained and told him, "Look, I can take you to jail for this." My grandpa got even more angry and was hollering about the rust bucket. As the cop retreated to his car, my dumb grandpa followed him waving a finger at him. The cop issued a ticket for the accident itself but not for fleeing. He told my grandpa that he understood his anger and agitation, but he needed to cool off and think about what happened. No "I'm going to light you up" threats. No arrest. This should have been the case with her.

17. Droog

Reputations:
    Most people who mouth off don't get arrested.

kingdavid918 likes this.
  18. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wouldn't know. I've only gotten one ticket in my life and I was polite to the cop. (Also, I was guilty of speeding. :spanking:)

PI Nate and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  19. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    I've probably been stopped for speeding 15-20 times in my life and it never, ever dawned on me to find out (the hard way). And i was usually pretty pissed off.

20. Droog

Reputations:
    Me neither. But that's beside the point.

kingdavid918 likes this.