Amazon Prime

Sarah Palin wasn't that far wrong on death panels.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hypo666, Nov 29, 2012.

1. hypo666

hypo666 Member

Reputations:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...testimony-reveals-children-end-life-plan.html

Behold, this is what happens when the liberal left get their grubby little hands on a health care system! This is a scandal in the UK, basically hospitals were being paid money by the government to put seriously ill adults on something called the 'liverpool care pathway' sometimes without their relatives consent. Doctors were picking patients they felt they could give up on. And the death hastening doesn't involve a merciful overdose of morphine, but taking nutrients and fluid away. There have been several cases where relatives of these patients found out, forced the doctors to put the family members back on fluids and nutrients and the patients actually recovered enough to leave hospital. One report showed a sprightly old lady sitting with her family by the fire.

Let me just say Iam british and I believed the NHS as setup was an imperfect but decent solution to looking after public health. It was also cost effective in my opinion. But unfortunately over the years it was perverted and expanded to an unwieldly all powerful bureaucratic behmoth where the nurses were seen as the 'nations angels' and any criticism was met with derision. It also became heavily unionised and the NHS is the third largest public service employer on the planet. Politicians over the years thanks to their open door immigration policies where immigrants and asylum seekers have full access to health care, free if not working ,then couple that with an aging population and the NHS delving into treatments that might be deemed an extravagance such as cosmetic surgery, weight loss surgeries have caused the NHS to be not fit for purpose and unable to cope with the pressure.

What we are now seeing in the UK,is accident and emergency units closing up and down the country,far too many degree educated unionised nurses who think interacting with patients is beneath them, and rather nasty secretive policies to stop treating 'hopeless' cases.

Now I don't think any health care system is perfect, I think the NHS as I said earlier the idea of it makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately the liberal left have been allowed to run amuck with the service and basically broken it. The future doesn't look bright for healthcare, I can see more cuts, and gradual inroads to selling off parts of the NHS to private providers, maybe even means testing where those who can afford it pay more. Maybe decision taken about whether certain injuries and conditions can be covered if the patient had a hand in creating them. The problem is all these solutions have downsides and it means quality of care can suffer. For instance the UK has a terrible record when it comes to selling off publically owned utilities and putting them in the private sector, service suffers.

So Palin while much mocked had a point. This government is now investigating the hospitals regarding this care pathway thing, yet it was their idea to pay money to those hospitals who instituted it, so essentially they are investigating themselves. What also happens in the UK is the ludicrous situation where certain drugs and treatments are only availiable in certain counties so essentially you can get treatment for a serious illness on the state in one area but not another ,so your choice is to die or go private. Now apparently children were put on the 'pathway'.

2. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    Exactly! No offense to our UK friend, but this illustrates one of the major reasons US healthcare is A#1 in the world. Privatized insurance in our country assures every person gets top-notch treatment, as well as preventative care, and they will leave no stone unturned to provide state-of-the-art healing, at any cost.

3. SiriusDawg

SiriusDawg New Member

Reputations:
    Which death panels are we talking about? Palin is such a moron that she can't even remember what exactly she is talking about....or who or what the death panels are made up of?

Nevermind that even to this day, you would be hard-pressed to find a single non-right wing source that isn't completely baffled how someone with a remotely intelligent IQ could even believe 1/10th of what comes out of Palin's mouth.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2009/dec/18/politifact-lie-year-death-panels/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...2_1_death-panels-sarah-palin-michele-bachmann

http://www.latimes.com/news/politic...rises-from-the-grave-20120625,0,7057615.story

4. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    15 member Administrative board members will meet to see if you should receive life saving care, assuming you're not a unit over 70

if you are a unit over 70, you will receive comfort care

can anyone point out the difference between that and "death panels"?

5. MatthewT

Reputations:
    by the way, "comfort care" is basically a morphine drip until you die.

6. SiriusDawg

SiriusDawg New Member

Reputations:
    Link?

7. SouthernListen

SouthernListen PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    I actually don't have a problem with "death panels" if my tax dollars are paying for it. We simply cannot afford to spend 50% of one's medical costs in the last month or so of life to buy some 91 y/o another few days. You should of course be allowed to get whatever care you want if you pay for it. The problem is they know full well a one-payer system will drive private insurance out of the market and that their own needs will always be met because they're elites.

The atttitude of providers today is already lousy, just imagine if they're the only game in town and get paid the same whether they do a good job or not. And of course as budgets squeeze they'll be underpaid and pissed off and that will make them work even less hard to treat you properly. You'll get 5 minutes and be shown the door. "because I only get $45 for this and I have a beach home to pay for". And with the lower pay will come massive shortages of doctors, as it ain't cheap to get that education. The talent will flow into more lucrative fields.

All common sense, something we "evolved beyond" in recent decades.

8. MatthewT

Reputations:
    ...to reality? can't help you dude.

9. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    its funny how half the time they are crying he expanded healthcare, and the other half of the time they are crying he made cuts to heathcare.
    why do you support people who are disingenuous and dishonest? stand up for your values

as to the issue, i agree with every word southernlisten wrote

10. MatthewT

Reputations:
    um, the "expanded" healthcare will come at the expense of "no" healthcare for units over 70.

i know you have trouble with complex ideas, so read that a few times. maybe out loud.

11. MatthewT

Reputations:
    but you are living proof that southern' is right about common sense being D.O.A. these days :up:

12. SiriusDawg

SiriusDawg New Member

Reputations:
    I just want to know where you got the information from of the death panels. Seems simple enough

13. MatthewT

Reputations:
    you're intellectually lazy and dishonest; dig it up yourself :hat:

14. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    If I could get hashish instead, I'd sign up today.

15. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    Painted yourself into a corner again, eh?

16. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    i do have trouble understanding your position, because it changes.
    are you for, or against free healthcare?

just admit that they hate the guy no matter what he does

17. MatthewT

Reputations:
    not at all; i'm sick of doing that retard's homework, and getting a plate full of shit in return

18. MatthewT

Reputations:
    i am absolutely against extra-constitutional entitlement programs masquerading as "rights". that includes free health care.

it's not that i enjoy paying doctor bills; i don't. i just notice that everywhere they have given free healthcare, they have ended up suffering the consequences. fewer and worse doctors. nurses treating instead of doctors. now we a red hot stock for a company selling vending machines distributing medical supplies to the public.

what good is "free healthcare for all!" if the doctors quit? if the hospitals close? if the cost comes at the expense of free market capitalism? of my freedoms? of my conscience?

you can NEVER have enough free stuff on hand when you offer free stuff to everybody.

19. SiriusDawg

SiriusDawg New Member

Reputations:
    So, you have no idea? Again, another one of your "Do my research for me" comments that make little to no sense?

20. MatthewT

Reputations:
    too funny; i put out facts, you want sauce, i tell you to find your own sauce, you pretend you posted facts :jj: