"satellite killed the radio star"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by mapleviewMN, Feb 20, 2012.

1. mapleviewMN

mapleviewMN New Member

Reputations:
    Howard's choice to leave commercial radio was in retrospect a huge mistake. Howard's career was driven by an
    obsessive need to be first in the ratings and that was lost at Sirius. When Howard was on regular radio he never would have taken this much vacation because he wanted to be #1 in every radio market. Without competition he has lost his "fire in the belly".

2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    marbles...it was always about them.
    Howie and Don pocketed over one billion marbles.

3. Vanquish

Vanquish New Member

Reputations:
    That topic title is hilarious :p

4. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits

Reputations:

Ding ding ding we have a winner..I've been saying that since the show went shitty!

5. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    People need a reason to get up and go to work every day. Once you have enough money to buy a small country that's no longer a motivator. When you get the same money whether or not you do a good job you're bound to slack off. It's just human nature.

I think that once Howard realized he was no longer getting heard by the most people, it all felt like a big letdown and it became just a grind. It's one thing to crawl out of bed at 4am to fight to be "number one". But when it's just to do your shift to under 1 million listeners, it becomes a bore.

6. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    "Huge mistake"? Certainly not for Howard Stern.

Fans are another story...

7. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    i don't agree in total, because the first 2 year of sirius were great.
    but once there were no more marbles to collect, he stopped trying.
    then he turned the radio show into the audio of HTV, because more HTV subs were the only marble incentive left.
    oh and more ads...

8. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Member

Reputations:
    While it's true he's lost his "fire in the belly," ( I love it when Shuffle plays a clip of Howchie talking about the need to work 5 days a week, because that's what it takes to keep the show going and his audience loyal) Howchie never really wanted to be #1 in every radio market. Like his movie soundtrack, his movie, and his books, all Howchie really wanted was to be able to claim he was #1. There's a vast difference. Instead of working to improve the show, he'd pay media consultants to look at the ratings to find some way to claim #1 (e.g. "We're number one among women 45-55 years old. That means we're the Number ONE radio station in the market, Robin!")

A real life example would be all the awards "Private Parts" has won. Listening to Howchie's radio bumpers at the time, the claim was made, "Winner of the Czechoslovakian Film Festival" while a second voices goes "That's huge." That's huge, alright, a huge lie. The only reason the movie was even nominated for anything over there, was due to Ivan Reitman's being the most famous person in the movie industry (at that time) to have been born there. And what did the movie "win"? Nothing. It tied, with a Czech movie, in the category of "Most Anti-Authoritarian Movie." (The Czechs, having just thrown off the yoke of Soviet domination, were a little touchy about having strong authorities over themselves. From the movie, they saw Howchie as a rebel. Little did they know Howchie was actually a petty dictator at heart.)

So, while in some markets, Howchie may have been #1, except for the news station, and the Latino stations, and maybe...?, in other markets, Howchie couldn't even make a qualified claim. That never stopped him from making the claim, anyways. It was the same with Satellite -- he claims to be #1, there, but the numbers are four years old. As long as he can claim it, he will.

This is not to say Howchie hasn't lost influence, or audience share. Far from it. But as long as he's well paid, and can still lay claim to some sort of "#1 status," he's not going to lose any sleep over it. This is where a little "fire in the belly" would help: he could have changed the face of satellite radio, if he'd put some effort & money into his show.

- Hire better writers (get Jackie back).
    - Use original, exclusive bits, not stuff stolen from the internet.
    - Dump HowardTV -- TV is what really killed his radio show. Too many bits, which could have been funny on the radio if they'd been worked properly, were turned into lame "Ya gotta watch this on HTV" advertisements. Other bits, which were too visual, should never have been done on the radio. But, as long as Howchie could get twice the Marbles for the same work, he did.
    - Don't go to 4,3,2 day weeks, stick with 5 day weeks and have better programing on the weekends / evenings.
    - Get that 3rd channel, stock it full of entire, full length episodes of Classic Howchie, running back to back, sequentially, with no ads.
    - Stop running all the old tapes through The Voice of Howchie[SUP]TM[/SUP] machine. Let us hear what you really sounded like.
    - Take live callers again, minimize or even eliminate the phony calls by staffers and shills.
    - Stop plugging every 30 seconds with in-line product placement. You hated it when others did it ("Rock the grilled cheese.") We hate it when you do it.
    - Don't be PC / Hamptons Howie. Stay edgy and use words like Reggie, polack, and fag. Real people still use these words.
    - As word spreads that you have something going, pump the increasing ad revenue back into the show instead of pocketing it. With larger numbers of listeners, "real" (relevant) guests will want to appear on your show (and with 5 days a week, they'll be able to.)

In other words, Howchie could have created an Oasis in the Satellite Radio Desert, instead of strip mining it and leaving an empty hole, as he carts off the marbles.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  9. BudBudha

BudBudha Male Underwear Model

Reputations:
    well said

10. Peau de Soie

Reputations:

Minor nit -- I'm pretty sure that bumper was meant sarcastically, i.e., look at this "HUGE", completely irrelevant and obscure award. It was hardly bragging. But the background info is interesting.

11. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Fully agree. No ratings has been what has killed the show. The 1st 2 years on siri he was shooting for sub #'s for his bonus stock options. Those equal his "ratings" and explain why the show was at it's best at sirius. Once there were no more bonuses to be had the show started to slide down the shit shoot it's been sliding down for years now.

12. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Member

Reputations:
    I'm not so sure the bumper was being sarcastic. Howchie loves to brag. It seems like I've heard the bumper hundreds of times, and it's always been annoying. Similar to the opening blurb for TWUS - the male announcer says "The Wrap Up Show" and then some annoying, (jewy?) cunt repeats "The Wrap Up Show". It never fails to evoke a grimace, snarl, or growl, from either myself, my wife, or both of us.
    The "That's Huge" is similar, albeit, older. If it was sarcastic, it wouldn't be as annoying.

13. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Money killed the Radio star....

14. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I don't know that it was lack of competition that killed him... But I don't think anyone can argue that it was a colossal failure. He was given the best studio he's ever had, full resources of the Sirius organization (while trying to convince people he was just an employee), and over a billion dollars. He had three channels at his disposal and almost 7 years later, there's still no third channel, Howard 101 is a sweatshop that relies on slave labor and volunteers more than a cable access channel and the main station is constant reruns for all but 12 hours (sharp) a week, if you are lucky enou to pick a week that he works all three days, doesn't cheap out a Monday holiday or take the week off all together.

Nobody has ever been able to do less with mathis amount of resources at their disposal.

15. Peau de Soie

Reputations:

Well, in fairness there are more than a few presidents (of countries and companies) who might qualify, but that would be another forum.

16. J J J J J John

J J J J J John New Member

Reputations:
    So the last year of real radio included.

17. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

18. ryanv1978

ryanv1978 New Member

Reputations:

Howard may have wanted to be #1 in every market but then again so does every other radio DJ.

Howard never was #1 in every market though...not even close.

19. ryanv1978

ryanv1978 New Member

Reputations:
    Mr Ed you don't think Howard has lost audience share??

okkkkay

20. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    I've always thought that 2006 thru the end of 2007 was fucking great. It was haphazard and a little disorganized but the show was funny and HTV was worth paying for. I turned on about 5 or 6 people into getting HTV and all my friends subscribed up until about two years ago, strangely they all cancelled their subs within 4 months of each other....they all said "its the same shit over and over again" and saved the 15 bucks a month...the last six months of Artie being on the show was, in my opinion, when the show went down the wayside....I love Artie but he was unbearable his last few months on the air...you could tell Howard was getting annoyed with him as well......