Saw Artie & Reverend Bob last night....

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by broccoli rob, Jun 29, 2014.

1. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    ..at the Coral Springs Center. I could not believe how packed it was. Its shocking that Artie can still pack a 1,500 seat theater at $50 a head. I also had no clue there were so many italian people in Coral Springs. I had one guy sitting next to me who kept screaming out "do tha godfatha, do the godfatha!" :c

Rev Bob has a very forgettable act (shocking, right?). I also found it very hard to understand him. Was it ever discussed on the show what is wrong with this guy? Since the jokes were weak, I spent the whole time pondering the cause of his speech impediment. The best thing I could come up with is that he had a coke induced stroke.

I was expecting Artie's 'new' stand up special, and if what I saw was it, then he is the luckiest guy in show business. A lot of jokes were repackaged, old jokes. He did the Anne Murray song. He did the 'hooker will never bring the cocaine back' joke. He even mentioned walking to St Louis one weekend :facepalm: There were a few jokes that seemed fresh and were actually pretty clever. However, it doesn't seem like he put the time in to write a new act. I would imagine with his host of issues that he is pretty much on cruise control at this point. He looked really bad and certainly hasn't lost any weight. My friend that went with me, who isn't a shedder or even a Stern fan, said "well, at least we can say we got to see Artie before he died".

The end of the show was kind of uncomfortable. All the guineas in the crowd started yelling out shit from the show and interrupting his act. "Blue Iris!", "Beetlejuice!", "Jeff the Drunk!". Artie said "what the fuck, do you guys have Stern show turrets?" One guy yelled out "Dana!" and Artie said she is now dating a skinny non-heroin addict. Then he called her a fucking cunt :jj: He also told a story how Jeff the Drunk called him in rehab and asked him to borrow $500. Finally, before walking off the stage he told the crowd "thanks for still caring about me after all these years". He was almost in tears.

He should stop doing stand up and improve himself so he can enjoy the rest of his life. He is a very lucky guy professionally, its a shame to let that go to waste. You can clearly see he is still struggling. Anyways, thats my .02.

[​IMG]

2. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    The baby gorilla is gonna do what the baby gorilla's gonna do. :grad:

3. Micheal Kenyon

Micheal Kenyon Here

Reputations:
    Still looks like he's hiding a giant meatball under his shirt.

4. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    At this point that Cadillac has been in so many wrecks, we just applaud politely when it gets driven around the block on Sundays. Artie looks like the easy living finally beat the shit out of him.

ZevonFan, hellocarlo and broccoli rob like this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  6. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    There really needs to be a weight limit on a single ticket purchase when you are stuck in a tight place (a theater, airplane, etc)... I had a 400 lb guy sit next to me that forced me to contort my posture just so this fat fuck wasn't all over me. The heat this guy was giving had me sweating profusely. You are also forced to listen to their mouth breathing for the duration of the show. Make these disgusting people buy two seats...maybe it'll give them some incentive to lose some weight.

7. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    In other words, you and your bud would have been better served going partners on 50 Powerball quick picks

8. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    How many times do he mention the stern who?

9. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It autocorrected "stern show" to "stern who" 5 time, so I figured it knew what. To was talking about

10. todd packer

todd packer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fucking charlatan.Charging people for that shit show.

Freedom Fries and Senator Rick like this.
  11. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    :scratch:

Pony and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  12. Bethstampon

Bethstampon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting this review Broc. I sorta will always pull for Artie, even at his worst compare what the show is now without him. Same for Jackie, KC and even Stuttering John.

They gave a shit and brought a lot of funny to that show.

13. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    I've always said that the transition to Artie who at the beginning was a self-generating funny machine successfully cloaked the reality that without Jackie putting the funny into both Howard's and SJ's mouths, Howard internally added little humor to the show. It took Artie's addiction/leaving to make both that transparently obvious, as well as the fact that Fred was not qualified to be a comedy writer, let alone the Head one.

14. broccoli rob

Reputations:

Yep. or Scarlett's cabaret.

Several times. A good portion of his material is still Stern related.

Me too.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    1Vegasgirl likes this.
  15. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    Poor Artie.
    [​IMG]

16. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    KC opened for him when I saw him in Boston

17. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Who- Levy?

18. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:

When did this air?
    I can't believe I missed Kimmel that night.

19. shitcunt

shitcunt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Artie is only good when he is being overly cruel to people or self immolating.

As for Bob Levy, I'm just glad O&A stopped taking his calls.

HeyThere and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  20. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    Levy is the most unnatural comic I have ever seen. Besides the fact that he is marble mouth, he is so focused on his timing that his delivery suffers. It comes off really hacky. I like when I can go see a show and relate to the comic on some degree, or at least understand where they are coming from. It just felt like one of those old time one-liner comics that really doesn't paint a picture or get you into a story. All in all, it was a bad show.

I went to a Dice show a few months ago and my father and I laughed our asses off. He was doing a lot of crowd work, it didn't come off very rehearsed, and he was filthy as hell. With the exception of Dice and Joe Rogan, every other show I've been to in the past few years has been very disappointing. I saw Carlin 4-5 times in Vegas over the years (he's the reason I got into stand up comedy), so maybe I expect too much.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Senator Rick and OV like this.