SBP's book thread

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ScottBaiosPenis, Jan 9, 2015.

1. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    howard related cause its what i do instead of listening to the wig these days...

what (if anything) do u all read ?

I just finished "Frank Sinatra in a Blender" by Matthew McBride. Fun, darkly comic, fast paced detective story. Chocked full of sex,booze,drugs and comic book over the top violence. Its kind of like a modern Elmore Leonard except less glued to the real world. Highly recommended

I also just re-read The Shinning and then started on the sequel Dr. Sleep. That really shows a comparison of how much King has lost it over the years. The Shinning is a tight faced paced ghost story with well drawn characters, a simple logically constructed plot and some genuine scares. King wastes very little time fucking around before the story gets rolling.

Dr Sleep on the other hand, I haven't finished it and I don't know if i even will. It is slooooowww and plodding and takes probably 1/4 of the book before even introducing the main conflict of the story. Shit one of the main characters isn't even BORN when the fucking thing starts, you have to read about her growing up before anything fucking happens. Dr Sleep takes time to hang around in AA meetings while Danny Torrence gets sober and eventually faces off against evil vampires who eat the life force of kids with the shinning. The bad guys are also ridiculous and not at all well drawn out. They live forever and have virtually unlimited resources (tho its never explained how that is). Also it says they own the town where the Overlook Hotel was yet it's not explained why they never tried to eat Danny as a child or Dick Halleran (the cook ). Maybe that will be explained later but probably not. It makes me wonder if editors are simply too afraid to edit king these days or he has really lost his spark for story telling.

2. Richard Tucker

Richard Tucker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've been reading Dr. Sleep too. For about six months. I'm not quite half way through it. I didn't really like the Shining either though, so I dunno wtf I expected.

I downloaded a shitload of old books I've been wanting to read, lame classic shit, ya know. But instead of even trying I just re-read A Clockwork Orange and Walking Dead.

3. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    what didnt you like about the shining? I am a huge fan of king's work and I really think it is one of his best novels. maybe his best, certainly in the top five. mainly because the characters are so well drawn and realistic. It is also well plotted.
    The Long Walk is also an extremely good King book I would put up with any of his best and I have always wondered why nobody tried to adapt it into a film because it would be very easy to film there are no big sets or special effects it is a character drama all set outside but the tension in that book is unbeliveable. the running man is another greatly overlooked king book that would have made a real good movie had it been done right. the movie with arnie sucked ass and really had no relation to the novel beyond very broad strokes

4. Richard Tucker

Richard Tucker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When I read his books now, I skip over all the boring ass parts filled with minute details about bullshit that doesn't really matter. How the sky reminds him of tying his red shoelaces on spring days after school.

I read the Shining before I started doing that and it became a chore to read about 3/4 into it. I wish I could tell you more specifically what it was I disliked, but it was just too boring to remember. Salem's Lot was the same way. And the ending of It.

Really, I guess he just rambles and can't end a story for shit.