News Scientists finally prove what we've always known

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sorry ladies! Men really DO have a better sense of direction: Males use a different part of their brain to navigate - and giving testosterone to women boosts their ability
    By Victoria Woollaston for MailOnline
    Published: 09:27 EST, 7 December 2015 | Updated: 11:11 EST, 7 December 2015

For many men, the idea that they have a better sense of direction than women was never in doubt, but now a scientific study has proved it.
    Researchers from Norway scanned the brains of volunteers as they completed navigation tasks to discover men are more adept at finding their way because they use a separate part of their brain.
    Adding fuel to the fire, when women had testosterone dropped onto their tongues, their navigational skills improved.

In the MRI scanner, they were given 30 seconds for each of the 45 navigation tasks. One of the tasks, for example, was to 'find the yellow car' from different starting points.
    The men solved 50 per cent more of the tasks than the women.
    According to lead researcher Dr Carl Pintzka from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), women and men have different navigational strategies.
    Men and women are so polar opposite in some of their behaviours, they seemingly act like they're from different planets.
    But it turns out that if men are from Mars, then women may not be Venus after all as scans have revealed there is little difference in the structure between the brains of the sexes.
    While specific parts show sex differences, an individual brain rarely has all 'male' traits or all 'female' traits and instead it is more likely to be a mixed bag - some things are more common in women, some more common in men, and some are common in both.
    This goes against the idea that brains can be neatly divided into two sex-based categories, Daphna Joel of Tel-Aviv University and her co-authors concluded.
    Researchers used MRI scans of more than 1,400 brains, focusing on anatomy rather than how brains work.
    They scored variable traits like tissue thickness or volume in different parts of the brain.
    They focused on traits that showed the biggest sex differences, dividing the scores into a predominantly male zone, a predominantly female zone, and an intermediate range.
    Men use cardinal directions – the use of north, south, east and west - during navigation to a greater degree.
    'Men's sense of direction was more effective. They quite simply got to their destination faster,' he said.
    'If they're going to the Student Society building in Trondheim, for example, men usually go in the general direction where it's located,' Dr Pintzka explained.
    'Women usually orient themselves along a route to get there, for example, "go past the hairdresser and then up the street and turn right after the store."'
    The study shows that using cardinal directions is more efficient because it is a more flexible strategy.
    The destination can be reached faster because the strategy depends less on where you start.
    Images of the brain showed that both men and women use large areas of the brain when they navigate, but some areas were different.
    The men used the hippocampus more, whereas women used their frontal areas to a greater extent.
    'That's in sync with the fact that the hippocampus is necessary to make use of cardinal directions,' added Dr Pintzka.
    He explained the findings in evolutionary terms.
    'In ancient times, men were hunters and women were gatherers. Therefore, our brains probably evolved differently.
    'For instance, other researchers have documented that women are better at finding objects locally than men. In simple terms, women are faster at finding things in the house, and men are faster at finding the house,' Dr Pintzka said.

During a second experiment, a separate group of women was given a drop of testosterone under their tongue just before they were going to solve the maze puzzles.
    In this step, 42 women were divided into two groups.
    Half of them received a drop of placebo, and 21 got a drop of testosterone under the tongue.
    The study was double-blinded so that neither Dr Pintzka nor the women knew who got what.
    'We hoped that they would be able to solve more tasks, but they didn't.

[However], they had improved knowledge of the layout of the maze, and they used the hippocampus to a greater extent, which tends to be used more by men for navigating,' he said.
    Losing one's sense of direction is one of the first symptoms in Alzheimer's disease.
    He hopes that by understanding how men and women use different brain areas and strategies to navigate, researchers will be able to enhance the understanding of the disease's development, and develop coping strategies for those already affected.

imissalison, TeeDonkey and reno like this.
  2. señor pedro

señor pedro El Chocha Master Bee Ay Pii Gold

Reputations:
  3. Shithead

Reputations:
    What's up with the shaker in the background, burnt?

4. señor pedro

señor pedro El Chocha Master Bee Ay Pii Gold

Reputations:
    Buena pregunta. Yo no la habia visto a ella. :D

5. Shithead

Reputations:
    Whatever

Isayalotofstuff, stash, cg256 and 4 others like this.
  6. TeeDonkey

TeeDonkey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

gran bel culo

Shortwave98 and señor pedro like this.
  7. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    Explains why Howard couldn't find his way from the studio to his high rise apt a few blocks away. :sgay:

8. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    My wife is a great navigator, has an excellent sense of direction.......just a sec, I need to double check her lady bits.

FosterKitten, Dorb and DogStar69 like this.
  9. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My sister grew up in the city we lived all out lives. There was a huge county park that bordered the city and a few towns. If my sister was at my grandmother's house which was less than 2 miles from the park she would have to drive home first to know how to get to the park. But she was always a klutz and I taught her how to drive when I was 17 and she was 21, but she's been driving a long time with no accidents.

10. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What's next Science proving men have a higher sex drive?

Maybe fucking Scientists should stop proving what we already know and cure cancer or something? :dontknow:

11. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Over the centuries women have stayed at home tending the fire.
    Men had to go off to war, to hunt, to explore.
    Makes sense that men have a better sense of direction.

12. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You mean men and women are different? Whaaa?

13. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My wife is TERRIBLE navigator...even in the driver seat with a gps on the dash and an iPhone with Google maps. It's amazing. No damn help at all.

Rescued Owl likes this.
  14. chrisfromvegas

chrisfromvegas HOOLIGAN VIP

Reputations:
    My wife is fine as long as she has landmarks.
    Instaed of telling her to turn east on Russel, I tell her to go toward the strip on the road where 4wheelparts is.

15. iloveyoubut

iloveyoubut Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I doubt my last 4 girlfriends could even find the United States on a globe. Seriously.

JustLurking likes this.
  16. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    This thread is bigoted. Obama has appointed a Transgender to run the Department of Transportation to end this GOP bias.

JustLurking likes this.
  17. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    All I know is- Kimbra always seems to find her way :grad:

[​IMG]

babybear and ljc like this.
  18. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    before gps etc., i drove across the country a few times. i get lost in almost every city i've ever visited. i'm good at reading maps but bad at making split second decisions at 65 mph, as to which exit to take.

the D.C. area was a pain in the ass! i had a women drive ahead of me and point out the right exit when i was totally lost. i especially love highways that have 2 different names.

i tell people that i don't have enough metal in my head to find my way around. when i'd have to go somewhere for work, co-workers would goof on me about how many times i'd get lost and if i'd call the office for some further directions. :)

i'm very manly otherwise! :grad:

19. iloveyoubut

iloveyoubut Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Back in 2007, a co-worker set me up with her friend, who had a history of stalking ex-boyfriends. I drove her to my place five different times, going a different route every time, to throw her off. It worked. Broke it off with her suddenly, never had her show up to my pad. I lived only ten miles away.

JustLurking likes this.
  20. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    My GF used to be the Navigator when we traveled cross country in the car. She lost her wings long ago.